First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1976 CJ5
Occupation
Firefighter
I was thinking of keeping a tool bag in my DD.

I don't usually lock up my Jeep unless the wife and I have been shopping or something and I need to leave a few things locked up in it while we are out, but I've been thinking of leaving a tool bag in the Jeep, wrapping the rear bar with one of these Master Lock Cables with a lock on it and another lock on the bags zipper.

Anyone else done something like this? Have you had any issues with theft?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

I don't usually lock up my Jeep unless the wife and I have been shopping or something and I need to leave a few things locked up in it while we are out, but I've been thinking of leaving a tool bag in the Jeep, wrapping the rear bar with one of these Master Lock Cables with a lock on it and another lock on the bags zipper.

I have my tool bags tucked under the rear seats, it can fit quite a bit of stuff under there! You can definitely tie a cable lock under the seat to it.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I don't have anything TOO elaborate, but I've probably got +/- $100 of tools in the Jeep, a Viair compressor, one of those $25 dept store wrench kits with some extra pliars, etc, thrown in, and some other odds and ends, and it all lives under the floor in the trunk. I figure out of sight out of mind, if they can't see it they won't bother stealing it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just my opinion, but anything worth locking and cabling is worth carrying back and forth. I like to avoid giving scumbags a reason to pop my window. Also, a cable and lock won't defend a bag from a fresh utility blade.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

I have a small tool kit I keep in the cargo bin in the rear. When jeep locked it's secure as you can't open rear cover with tailgate closed. It's got what I need to deal with most issues. Also a small spare kit of fuses, wire splices, zip ties, etc with it.

When we go out camping or off roading I have another bag I take along with my tire inflator and some hard spares for stuff we've broken before. That stuff I don't keep in a dd as would never need it and takes up space.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18ā€™ JLU SAHARA
Iā€™d be a bit nervous leaving my tools but under the seat out of plain view should be good. I have my CD case under the seat and I know thatā€™s a ā€œhigh ticketā€ item for thieves so she stays under the seat as well,lol!

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Iā€™d be a bit nervous leaving my tools but under the seat out of plain view should be good. I have my CD case under the seat and I know thatā€™s a ā€œhigh ticketā€ item for thieves so she stays under the seat as well,lol!
CD case? Does the Jeep have a CD player I havenā€™t found yet?

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a 4door JLU with the space under the floor in back, that gets locked closed when you cover it, close the back door and lock the doors.
The cover panel over the space in back gets wedged under the door so you can open it. About the most secure place in a JLU.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18ā€™ JLU SAHARA
CD case? Does the Jeep have a CD player I havenā€™t found yet?
Nah, I wish. Iā€™m old school and prefer quality sound so I picked one up from Amazon (rechargeable and plugs in via USB) and leave it in the center console when I donā€™t want to stream off the phone.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I have a couple "Fat 50" Cans stowed under the rear passenger side seat and secured with a ratchet strap, and some larger tools in the "trunk". They're well hidden. My Molle Bags on the tailgate table are small and the ones on the rear of the front seats are marked "First Aid", "Napkins", and "Wipes".

Best deterrent is to keep things out of sight, out of mind, and don't leave anything too valuable in your Jeep. Locks only stop honest thieves. They'll attract attention to the rest- "If it's locked it must be worth stealing"

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase