Leather?

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
I plan on using my Rubicon as the name implies. Getting it dirty, scratching the paint, using it like a Jeep. I'm Really not sure about leather seats. I'd probably put seat covers on regardless of which seat I pick. Any pros and cons?
Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that leather is easier to clean especially if you have pets/kids/mud. I think leather requires more attention to keep it in good shape over the years. I almost wish there was a leatherette option as that would be my choice.
If your going to cover them anyway you might as well go cloth. I think the rear of the leather 4drs is going to be hard to cover with the flip down armrest.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I plan on using my Rubicon as the name implies. Getting it dirty, scratching the paint, using it like a Jeep. I'm Really not sure about leather seats. I'd probably put seat covers on regardless of which seat I pick. Any pros and cons?
Leather is the best to clean for spills and stains, but since the Wrangler's leather is always an option and never forced on you in any packages, I would save my money, and down the road if I want leather, I'll pay for one in a color that I like. You would probably have enough left over to get the rest of the interior leather trims to match.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
My preference is cloth with a Bartact seat cover. They're pricy, but well-loved in the Jeep community, very robust, don't fade (at least if you choose black as the primary color), easy to clean, water-resistant, attractive, customizable...

I admit I wish the water entirely beaded away, but I keep trash bags in the Jeep since I run naked effectively all summer long. The Bartact covers have molle everywhere, much larger coverage area than the new Rubicon seats, and large zipper pouches that happen to be quite convenient for stashing trash bags among other things.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Last year's premium cloth.

2017jes160003_640_13.jpg

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Then there’s always the getting in and sitting in a leather seat that’s been in the sun, because you have the top down/off, and burning your legs and rear-end.

Goes

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon firecracker red (soon)
I admit I wish the water entirely beaded away, but I keep trash bags in the Jeep since I run naked effectively all summer long. The Bartact covers have molle everywhere, much larger coverage area than the new Rubicon seats, and large zipper pouches that happen to be quite convenient for stashing trash bags among other things.
Does anyone have any experience using “never wet” or a similar type product on seats or seat covers?

tilleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Leather is the best to clean for spills and stains, but since the Wrangler's leather is always an option and never forced on you in any packages, I would save my money, and down the road if I want leather, I'll pay for one in a color that I like. You would probably have enough left over to get the rest of the interior leather trims to match.
I remember you saying this in another thread and I meant to ask. How much would a upholstery place charge to put leather on your seats? Would it be cheaper just to get them now?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I've found that leather is easier to clean especially if you have pets/kids/mud. I think leather requires more attention to keep it in good shape over the years. I almost wish there was a leatherette option as that would be my choice.
If your going to cover them anyway you might as well go cloth. I think the rear of the leather 4drs is going to be hard to cover with the flip down armrest.
My 12's leather looks new, because leather doesn't stain. Love it.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Leather is easier to clean, costs more, looks nicer.
Cloth does not feel like ice on a cold morning, but looks cheap

If I get leather i get the seat warmer.
If I was gonna cover I would probably get cloth.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I like the cloth. Over time, the leather is going to crack, especially with asses in and out of the Jeep. Other than the headrests, I'm perfectly content with the seats and the material they used in the JK. It cleans pretty well, too.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I remember you saying this in another thread and I meant to ask. How much would a upholstery place charge to put leather on your seats? Would it be cheaper just to get them now?
Not sure how much labor would cost, but what I have done in the past is purchase from leatherseats.com or similar and installed them myself. It's a pretty straight forward process, but very tedious because it takes a couple hours.

You can order them in any color from $700-1k depending on your level of customization.
leatherseats.jpg
Sponsored