Leather seat pucker / wrinkles

Vihoula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Nursing
picked up my new Sahara Dec 28th, my daughter has sat in the back twice. I notice that the leather on the seat looks loose, puckering this isn’t normal is it? I’ve never had leather seats before.

E9A82C33-40C3-4292-BDD6-F66AEFD38D16.jpeg
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Yikes! One thing I've noticed over the years of leather seats is climate - tend to have this a little more in cold weather than with warm (but still not like that). I have a '19 with leather and it's relatively cold where I am and I've had no problems, but could be apples-to-oranges as I have McKinley leather so a little different.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@Vihoula

As @robaw said, leather behaves differently in different climates but if you’d like me to be honest here, only after (2) uses that leather appears to be quite loose. I personally do not feel that’s normal. Far too loose. Just mention it at the dealer. It’s not the end of the world but certainly I’d have them take a look at it. It can be fixed easily through warranty.

Edit: To note, I have an 8 year old vehicle with leather and it’s been abused and the leather is still tighter than what I see here.

My BMW had leather
My TransAm had leather
My VW has leather (8 years old)
Both my Honda’s had leather
And my Toyota has leather

I have experience with leather seats.

I chose cloth on the JL though.

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
If it doesn't match the other seating area then it's a bad fit. Warranty should cover that.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I'm really happy with the leather in my RAM and JL --both BLACK LEATHER and both very tight and there are no "TUCKS/FOLDS/PUCKERS-
I would expect the condition the OP has in her JLU as happens in MOST JKU/JLU, because of the design of the rear seat CENTER SEAT STRUCTURE 1

iT IS WHAT IT IS--

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

OP
OP
Vihoula

Vihoula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Nursing
Thank you! I will run it up to the dealer tomorrow.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape
Who cares what they are going to do, they need to fix it. If they need to replace the entire seat then so be it. It’s definifely not how it’s supposed to be.
I have a 2001 Ford Expedition with leather seats - none of them look like that. Worn, yes. But no loose pucker.

OP
OP
Vihoula

Vihoula

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Nursing
One week old, this is where it all starts eh :facepalm:
Very dissapointing.

Sponsored

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
They won’t replace it, but, they all have contracts with local shops for stuff like this, at least mine does. So, no, they won’t replace it but it’ll be up to them to contract out to a local upholstery shop to get it re-upholstered or steatched and re-stitched. She won’t have to pay a dime and she’ll be given a loaner for a week.

I don’t care what’s wrong with my Jeep, I’m taking it to the dealer to see what they can do. What’s wrong with that? The potential to save money is more important to me than down time, which they give you a loaner, so there’s not even any downtime. My last loaner was a new Challenger SRT Hemi. :)

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
For starters, yes, that's loose. I've had several rams, and jeeps with leather seats, and none have looked like that. Especially when they're brand new. So as you've already mentioned, get it looked at. If it's an issue, the warranty covers repair/replacement.

Actually, they might replace it. I'm sure they'll probably try to tighten it first, but if not they're replace it. Obviously they'll do whatever repair is cheapest, but they'll make it right.
Take it to a local upholstery shop? I wouldn't. You may be fine with taking your own time to find a reputable shop, and spending money out of pocket for something that warranty will cover, but most people aren't. Besides which, why should the OP have to source a repair? It's a factory item, with a potential flaw. That's exactly what the warranty is intended to cover.

EDIT: Add note -
PS, wrinkles in leather immediately after you get up is normal. If they don't go away very soon after (I'm talking probably less than 30 seconds), then it's not normal. I'd imagine that since you have time to take a photo they're not going away right after you get out of the seat.
Sponsored