Sponsored

Leather or Cloth Seats

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I don't know why this is a debate. Leather will last longer than cloth, and if you have an accidental spill, the seats won't "soak it up", you can just wipe it off. If heat is an issue in the summer, then put on seat covers. You always have the options to take them off later if you want and have your pristine leather underneath.
HUH? My leather on my bmw was cracking in 3 years, lol.

There are other threads where people have been having wrinkles in ther brand new leather already. The leather that comes with the jeep arent as the highest quality. Now, in talking the katzkin leather is a different story.

Not only the hotness of it, you have to care so much more for it than cloth such as conditioner and such.

Just my 2 cents.
Sponsored

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Not only the hotness of it, you have to care so much more for it than cloth such as conditioner and such.
I've had both leather and cloth (as I'm sure you have too)....it depends on what you mean by "care". If you are comparing apples to apples and want both to retain their "new" or "close to new" look....I personally don't think cloth requires "less" care than leather. It stains much easier, collects dirt, and is not moisture or pet friendly. Sure, leather needs to be conditioned, but cloth requires it's own cleaning.

Outside of the heat factor, and possibly less likely to slide around in the seat while wheeling, I see no real advantage for cloth.

Just my opinion.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Leather seats are for Saharahs that never have the top down...stick to cloth if you have your top off if the sky is blue like me.
Trust me, your arse will thank you lol
Leather gets hot in the sun, and cold in the winter

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
We switched to leather from cloth on our order for a couple of undocumented items on the unlimited. The leather comes with the cup holders in the middle headrest when folded down as an armrest. The cloth has the cupholders in the floor. The leather comes with the gap cover between the cargo area and the seats when you fold the seats down but the cloth does not.

Sponsored

jmann99999

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
Do your black leather seats get really hot when you have your top down with the jeep sitting in the sun? Trying to figure out if I really want the leather or would be better off with cloth seats... With my JK I have cloth seats and they are not too hot when the jeep is sitting with the top down in the hot sun, but the center console gets really hot.
I have a soft top JL Sahara with tan seats but that includes a black console. When in the sun in Utah it burns to put my arm on the console on a sunny/hot day. The tan seats are bearable. Your results may vary... but I'm glad I got tan for the seats.

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Was 100deg here in PDX sat and sunday last weekend. I have black leather. I have a sunshade. Leather never got very hot.

ZONA.OVRLND

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 392 Hemi Wrangler - Follow on IG @ zona.ovrlnd
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in AZ, and have had cloth on my jeeps because there is no option for seat ventilation (ac cooling) with leather. My wife has the Grand Cherokee with seat coolers/warmers and it's great! Especially when it's over 100 degrees for nearly 3 months of the year.

If I ever wanted leather, I'd likely get Katzkin and get more what I want, given all the options that exist with them, rather than the one option that Jeep offers.

Doesn't mean I don't like leather, just have my preferences with leather with seat coolers...if I were to go that route, but it's not available, so cloth it is.

To each their own, really. Some ppl swear by cloth, others swear by leather....drive both and see what you like.

Matymaty

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold my 2013 Moab for the 2018 JLU
I have cloth with cold weather package. Love it. However, I like all the stuff with leather package but cloths seats are worth not getting any of the leather pieces.

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Is it real leather? I know most cars don't have real leather. 99% of BMWs for example have synthetic material and not leather

Sponsored

Jeep Number 8

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hard Top and 2018 BMW 430i Hard top convertible.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do your black leather seats get really hot when you have your top down with the jeep sitting in the sun? Trying to figure out if I really want the leather or would be better off with cloth seats... With my JK I have cloth seats and they are not too hot when the jeep is sitting with the top down in the hot sun, but the center console gets really hot.
I had leather on my 2015 JK Sahara and did not want leather again. They get too hot and after 3 years started cracking (even with leather conditioner applied regularly). Also why would anyone get leather then cover them with seat covers? That makes no sense,

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Really depends on your preference. I love the look of leather and how easy it is to clean. Especially animal hair. I've had leather for the past several years in my cars---including a convertible. I drove with the top down as much as possible. Black car, black leather....those seats would get H-O-T!! I live in TX though where daily highs of 100+ is frequently normal in the summer. In the winter..the days it got down into the teens & 20's---the leather steering wheel & seats would be so cold. Yes, they warm up, but it's the fact I'd have to wear mittens to drive for the first 5-10 min so my hands wouldn't freeze. My leather was a good quality and held up well...even after 8+ years. I'm ordering my Jeep with cloth. The cloth in the Rubi looks like a good quality and is durable. Whenever it gets stained or starting to wear I can then order some Katzkin if I decide I want leather. (Plus, I've heard the leather in the Jeep's isn't a very good quality.)

MACCTM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Honda Fury motorcycle, Infiniti QX30
I bought mine with cloth but ordered the Katskinz at the dealer. Ran me $1400. There are dozens of colors to choose from. I went with a baseball glove orange/brown like I had in my Ram Longhorn I traded in. I should have them here late this week. I'll post photos. Tan was too light and black was too dark for Phoenix so I think I found a solution in the middle. Should go well with the granite. Like this maybe?

aston-martin-vanquis-3_1600x0w.jpg

Keagan

First Name
Stephani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Rubicon, 2014 Z51 Corvette Convertible, 2013 Smart Fortwo
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the cloth seats. Going way back to my first car, '68 MGB British Racing Green and black leather interior, man it'd get way too hot to sit on, let alone sticking to the seats with shorts on. On my corvettes I don't have much choice at the trim level I buy as I'm stuck with leather - at least they're red and cooled (as well as heated) which is awesome for summer. I live in New England so I've been waiting forever to get heated seats in my 'winter car', :), the Rubicon. When I bought the only car I have that gets 40 mpg, a SmartCar, I got cloth with heated seats and that really rocks, IMHO. I have spilled coffee on it and I did not get to clean it off the red fabric and just had a detailer fix it for me with the steam cleaning. My new Punkn' Metallic Rubi has the cloth seats, heated. The only option was black interior and I can sit on the black cloth seats when they have been in the sun, so I'm stoked. I like their look also. The heated steering wheel is great in cold climates. My husband has had that on his Grand Cherokee for a while so I'm also looking forward to that.
Sponsored