Sponsored

Leather or Cloth Seats

tomahawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray ordered 16 Aug delivered 11 Sep.,,2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7 Hemi, Traded 2017 JKU Big Bear, 2012 Ford Focus.
Do your black leather seats get really hot when you have your top down with the jeep sitting in the sun? Trying to figure out if I really want the leather or would be better off with cloth seats... With my JK I have cloth seats and they are not too hot when the jeep is sitting with the top down in the hot sun, but the center console gets really hot.
Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Do your black leather seats get really hot when you have your top down with the jeep sitting in the sun? Trying to figure out if I really want the leather or would be better off with cloth seats... With my JK I have cloth seats and they are not too hot when the jeep is sitting with the top down in the hot sun, but the center console gets really hot.
I had a BMW convertible that the black leather seats would get so hot that you couldn't sit in them for a few minutes.

I vowed to never get leather again (That means doing without heated seats - which with the remote start should be fine).

I got cloth on my new Wrangler and it is a nice ride! Also I read where they have a mold resistant cloth so that's another nice feature if they get wet.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
... I vowed to never get leather again (That means doing without heated seats - which with the remote start should be fine)...
Cold Weather Package includes heated cloth seats on the JL. :clap:

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Cold Weather Package includes heated cloth seats on the JL. :clap:
Ha, i didn't know that but good to know! I didn't use the heated seats I had, lol)

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Ha, i didn't know that but good to know! I didn't use the heated seats I had, lol)
Just depends on your local climate, and maybe age. Heated seats feel great, and then there's the heated steering wheel. It's kinda like heated grips on a motorcycle. No one needs those, then one day you own a bike with them and realize the years you've wasted. :)

Sponsored

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just depends on your local climate, and maybe age. Heated seats feel great, and then there's the heated steering wheel. It's kinda like heated grips on a motorcycle. No one needs those, then one day you own a bike with them and realize the years you've wasted. :)
LOL Yeah the heated wheel was nice, but I got a good deal I couldnt pass up...wasn't gonna let it slide for that feature. I work from home and my Jeep stays in garage...I didn't use it super much when I had it.

Thermodynamicles

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I love the leather seats; in the winter they are great, especially heated (along with the steering wheel). I do wish I would have gone withe the tan instead of the black though. To get around it I just throw the top up in safari when we park and that usually keeps them cool enough that it's not too bad.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I don’t have a problem with mine getting too hot, but I’m in CT. Folks down south or out west may have very different experiences.

Since I have just the premium soft top and no hard top, I don’t park outside with the top down, anyway, if I know it’s going to sit a while. Instead, I quickly pull the top up to safari mode. I dont do this to keep the seats from getting hot, but to keep the UV rays from slowly destroying the entire interior (especially the plastic parts). If I did have a hard top, I’d likely invest in one of those shade things.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Both have their pros and cons. I ordered leather. Much easier to clean. Will it get hot if left out in the sun...yes. A few minutes with the A/C should take care of that. Like Old Guy, I will either park in the shade or put the top up if I'm going to be away for any length of time. I personally think the leather looks more refined. And I can always throw a towel in the jeep to sit on if it becomes a problem.

I will say, while I haven't seen it in person, the JL's cloth interior does look pretty good. However, based on JK owners, those that have had cloth said it still stains. Also, if it gets wet, the chances of it retaining some moisture is higher.

Another option is to order cloth and install Katzkin. Many feel it's better than the leather from the factory.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Both have their pros and cons. I ordered leather. Much easier to clean. Will it get hot if left out in the sun...yes. A few minutes with the A/C should take care of that. Like Old Guy, I will either park in the shade or put the top up if I'm going to be away for any length of time. I personally think the leather looks more refined. And I can always throw a towel in the jeep to sit on if it becomes a problem.

I will say, while I haven't seen it in person, the JL's cloth interior does look pretty good. However, based on JK owners, those that have had cloth said it still stains. Also, if it gets wet, the chances of it retaining some moisture is higher.

Another option is to order cloth and install Katzkin. Many feel it's better than the leather from the factory.
Does anyone know how much the Katzkin costs?

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I don't feel like the tan leather seats get all that hot in the summer sun, but the black would likely be way too hot for me.

JCM32

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Occupation
Finance
I special ordered my JLUR mainly because I couldn't find one with all the options I wanted that didn't have leather. As hot as that center console gets topless, I cant imagine dealing with leather seats in this cool Texas summer every year. I am very happy with my Rubicon Cloth seats, especially going topless!

COBoarder

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS Ocean Blue
Does anyone know how much the Katzkin costs?
I ordered mine from Canada seat skins for $1,100 and the local install was $500 so about the cost of factory leather but I was able to customize the order.

JasonMSN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I don't know why this is a debate. Leather will last longer than cloth, and if you have an accidental spill, the seats won't "soak it up", you can just wipe it off. If heat is an issue in the summer, then put on seat covers. You always have the options to take them off later if you want and have your pristine leather underneath.
Sponsored