OP
zoepup

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
All good thoughts. It is defiantly from the buckle. I liked the neoprene sleeve suggest but there is no way to wraps it around.
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I am frustrated as I don't' see people with this issue and it must be how I unbuckle.
Now, I'm curious...are you putting your left arm under the shoulder belt, then unbuckling and flinging the buckle into the door? Maybe a change of habit could mitigate this?

Jeep Wrangler JL Leather armrest shredding 1627664195297

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Wow, that's pretty bad. Out of the ~50,000 miles I've put on these models, all with the leather armrest, I have yet to have that happen.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen a couple on here with same issue but no real solution except pay really close attention when unbuckling

I am about to install my third driver door armrest. The previous two had lacerations on the leather. I think the leather layer was scraped by the seatbelt when unbuckling.

I thought of clear vinyl tape. Even went to a bike shop for lizard skin vinyl. Then thought that after a year that might look just as bad.
So I am a clutz and hate looking at the shredded leather.
My dog's claw put a nice hole in the top of my door panels on both of my rear doors within 2 weeks of having it... Grrr... On my last Jeep, a smooth 2x4 resting on the armrest wore a rough spot in it on a very short trip home.... I'd rather have a hard plastic arm rest than a cruddy leather armrest that's going to look awful in a short amount of time...

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
These could have caused it: Pocket knife with a pocket clip, conceal carry gun holster, belt buckle, watch, metal buttons on clothing, stuff you are putting in the Jeep, service dept people with a clip board, ID badge...
Sponsored