Sponsored

Leather armrest shredding

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen a couple on here with same issue but no real solution except pay really close attention when unbuckling

I am about to install my third driver door armrest. The previous two had lacerations on the leather. I think the leather layer was scraped by the seatbelt when unbuckling.

I thought of clear vinyl tape. Even went to a bike shop for lizard skin vinyl. Then thought that after a year that might look just as bad.
So I am a clutz and hate looking at the shredded leather.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I’ve seen a couple on here with same issue but no real solution except pay really close attention when unbuckling

I am about to install my third driver door armrest. The previous two had lacerations on the leather. I think the leather layer was scraped by the seatbelt when unbuckling.

I thought of clear vinyl tape. Even went to a bike shop for lizard skin vinyl. Then thought that after a year that might look just as bad.
So I am a clutz and hate looking at the shredded leather.
@zoepup

I do not remember seeing anyone with a similar issue... Can you provide forum links to others mentioning this issue.

Has to be something you are doing and thousands here are not doing.

Would like to see pics of yours and to hear from others that have had this issue..

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I’d like to see pictures as well. How’s your steering wheel? I know some people seem to have acidic skin oil which will wear the leather away quicker. Sounds weird but it’s legit.

OP
OP
zoepup

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry forgot to attach photo.

506B3184-71ED-48F1-A78C-267A3F21B421.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
zoepup

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I looked at mine and haven’t seen anything similar but I have only owned it for a short time.

Odd question, do you wear long sleeve shirts or jewelry. My military uniform has rough sleeves and velcro so I try not to wear it in the Jeep.

Last edited:

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
The pattern of the damage is definitely something getting snagged.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that's definitely impact damage from the belt buckle. The surrounding material is too nice, which rules out wear from breaking down or some kind of chemical damage.

Many years and vehicles ago, I formed the habit of reaching across and leading the buckle back to the b-pillar. One of my 1st vehicles had a cheap plastic inner door panel. The buckle loved getting caught in it and I wouldn't notice until opening the door. Or at least trying to open it. 1st part ripped off was the door pocket. Than the pull handle was halfway dislodged and flopped around. At this point, I'd have to think about it to stop the habit.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 Sahara has similar leather-covered armrests, but they are still unharmed.

Bike_Voucher

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Following...

I have this on my rear driver's side door, BUT I know my culprit...my co pilot haha. I clip his nails and he still digs in to hang on around turns...:facepalm:

I've thought about buying a new one but I'm sure it will immediately happen again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Leather armrest shredding IMG_2682

Pic of the culprit in action:

Jeep Wrangler JL Leather armrest shredding IMG_2027

BillWorkbench

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-door Sport S (Stock)
Occupation
IT person
Could it be your watch or something else? It seems weird that there are no other reports of this.

OP
OP
zoepup

zoepup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
It's right at the handle? What about getting an upholstery shop to make a wrap right there out of the material on the one you're taking off?

Kind of similar to this: https://www.quadratec.com/products/14017_31X_PG.htm
see, that’s simple, and i thought I might be missing the simple answer. However, I just checked and the driver door armrest is not a 360 degree opening around the handle. If it was, this would be a good solution.
Sponsored