Least worth it FCA JL option & why?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gosh, there are a ton of overpriced options for Wrangler. But I'd say the worst one is the Max Tow package. They sell you for hundreds of dollars something that you can buy for $69.99 from almost any vendor online and install yourself in 10 minutes in the driveway with a socket and a ratchet.
Sponsored

passingnotes

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
i passed on active safety, but my vote is for the engine block heater - it comes with what i ordered, but iā€™m north of boston and my take is that our average low temps coupled with the way engines are built means it will never get used and will not be needed.

second in line would be the hard top for a two door. i mean, come on...

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
You use your eyes, you use your mirrors and you definitely use these rear cameras. If it's anything like the big screen Ram pickup's, the night time and daytime immediate rear vision is phenomenal.
Agreed, screen is the ONLY way to see directly behind the car...I glance at that first then proceed normally looking around, maybe glance back at the screen if needed.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I haven't seen many mentions of Cross Path Detection; this is the most critical part of the Safety Group to me. It warns you when you are about to back into the path of oncoming latte-slurping soccer moms in a parking lot. Usually this view is blocked by neighboring parked vehicles, so the sensors are the only way to get warned. I've had this feature on my past two vehicles and it's saved me from numerous collisions.

That said, I bet the Safety Group gets more useful features added for the 2019 model year. A base-ass Toyota Corolla has Adaptive Cruise Control, so FCA really needs to offer this feature on their $50k+ Wrangler.

My vote for 'least worth it' is the engine block heater. I haven't needed one of these since a 1990 F250 diesel (5MT-still have it!).

Last edited:

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
i passed on active safety, but my vote is for the engine block heater - it comes with what i ordered, but iā€™m north of boston and my take is that our average low temps coupled with the way engines are built means it will never get used and will not be needed.

second in line would be the hard top for a two door. i mean, come on...
shots fired lol

I'm planning on a 2 door hardtop myself

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
I'll be edgy and say the power group for the 2 doors, which you really just get with the Sport S trim. It's 2 windows and 2 locks!

They used to charge $1,000 for power group on a 2 door JK as an option on some trims, and I thought that was a ludicrous price.

Probably come up with some more fun ones on my lunch break

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
My vote would be for the hard top - I donā€™t even want the soft top on most of the time, so paying extra for something Iā€™d have to store (using a winch that I paid even more for) is just about the definition of ā€˜not worth itā€™.

Snerf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This is why there are horse races. After actually seeing the different combinations @ the LA car show of the Rubi 2/4 dr, 6 vs 8 sp, black/body fenders, black/body hard-tops, std vs optional wheels, etc, our personal preferences were:

2 door: 6sp MT, black fenders, black top, std wheels (powder coat all black), black cloth seats
4 door: 8sp AT, body color fenders, body color top, optional wheels, black leather seats

We were originally going to get the 2-door, but my wife began to express an interest in driving the Jeep. So, we switched over to the 4 door, along with all the changes listed above.

The basic look of the 4 door as configured above really "pops" as a semi-elegant vehicle that still has the muscle look of an OHV. The 2 door can be butched out to get it ready to crawl rocks, but the 4 door is a really pretty mall crawler. With the top down, it's the ultimate safe convertible that can compete with lifted trucks and large SUVs for road visibility and safety.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Gosh, there are a ton of overpriced options for Wrangler. But I'd say the worst one is the Max Tow package. They sell you for hundreds of dollars something that you can buy for $69.99 from almost any vendor online and install yourself in 10 minutes in the driveway with a socket and a ratchet.

Are you talking about the towing and HD electrical package? Because for $800 you get a bigger alternator, bigger battery, 2 pre-wired harnesses, a receiver hitch, and the programmable aux switch bank. Thatā€™s hardly $69.99 worth of stuff...

Sponsored

buried20kleague

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Crush Rubi
Another vote for active safety. The back up camera is simply just as effective as a beeping sound.

And the ability to not head check on lane changes isn't worth $800 to me. I wouldn't trust it anyway. I have it on other vehicles I own and still head check every time.

And LED tail lights come with the LED group.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Are you talking about the towing and HD electrical package? Because for $800 you get a bigger alternator, bigger battery, 2 pre-wired harnesses, a receiver hitch, and the programmable aux switch bank. Thatā€™s hardly $69.99 worth of stuff...
Nope, I'm talking about the towing package on its own.

But let's look at that HD electrical package for a second.. upsizing the battery probably would cost $15, upsizing the alternator about $10, adding the harnesses maybe $5 since they're installing wiring anyway, and the aux switch bank is something I'm sure guys will be adding for less than $50 very soon. So Jeep is still marking that equipment up about 1,000%.

Apparently they are trying to use the Wrangler to prop up the entire company.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
For me, the Convenience Group on the Sport is the most useless thing. It has 2 things I can't use:

1 - Remote Start which is not available for manual anyway
2 - Garage door opener so anyone can get in my soft top Jeep if it is parked at the curb and open my garage door.

That's the whole package.
As someone considering a soft top with garage door opener, I didn't even think of #2. Thanks

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S

But let's look at that HD electrical package for a second.. upsizing the battery probably would cost $15, upsizing the alternator about $10, adding the harnesses maybe $5 since they're installing wiring anyway, and the aux switch bank is something I'm sure guys will be adding for less than $50 very soon. So Jeep is still marking that equipment up about 1,000%.

How difficult is it to run all that wiring? And how do aftermarket switches look once installed? And the factory aux switches communicate with the touchscreen so there's some sort of customization you can do with that. Not sure how much all that is worth

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250

If you go through the jeep Configurator, there isnā€™t a ā€˜towing package on its ownā€™...

And that aux switch bank is worth a lot more than $50 when you consider that a) itā€™s programmable and b) already wired.

Also I defy you to replace the alternator in your Jeep for $10...
Sponsored