Sponsored

Leasing was the best decision I ever made

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Its your money and your life. If that deal fits your life, I say go for it - don't spend too much energy thinking instead of just enjoying your Jeep.

I would have a hard time leasing a JL for the main reason that it would be screaming at me to take it off road and also modify it. Too much of a tease for me.
Sponsored

Dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1998 TJ Sahara 4” Zone lift
I’ve leased one vehicle. A loaded F150 back in 2014. It was over $100/ month cheaper than the F150 I traded in. I loved the truck. Tinted it, leveled it, and put duratracs on it. Planned on buying it out at the end.
Long story short, the dealer made a bad repair on a transmission tsb and it completely junked it. Dealer was on week 4 afterwards and was in no hurry to get it fixed. As it sat on their back lot and I was driving a Fusion, I lost my mind and traded it on a new Tundra from their sister dealership. It too was a lease. They appraised the F150 from the back repair lot. Weird situation.
I was worried about residual but the F150 got paid off and I got some money off the Tundra.
And get this- I drove that Tundra for 6 months and hated it. Was on a 2 yr lease. I called the used car Manager at the dealer and took it in for appraisal. We settled on an amount within $500 of payoff.
I simply wrote a check and dumped it.
That was my last lease. It doesn't fit my lifestyle and habits. But it does have its perks. Especially for those that just drive for transportation only purposes and just plan on always having a payment. But I always felt like I was renting someone else’s car. On the F150, at the end of the 3 year lease, my buyout was around $30k iirc. So after paying 3 years, I would have needed to take at least a 4 year loan on the remaining. Effectively paying 7 years on a truck. I’m much happier saving a bigger down payment and negotiating a good price and buy with financing. I won’t do it unless I can get pretty far off that initial depreciation hit.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Strange, the dealers all take $8k to $10k off msrp here in VA.... I could not imagine paying anything near sticker for a Wrangler
here in ny i test drove a 19 jl 4 door sport s msrp 41,820. the dealer gave NO discount. they said they were selling them at or above sticker price. they also said there's not a dealer that will knock off 8 - 10k off. i told them maybe you should look around and see what other dealers are selling them for. i went to another dealer that had exactly what i was looking for. the 19 jl sport 2 door msrp for 34,325. i got it for 32,000. thats the best i found. the other choice was to road trip to ganthersburg md to see those bigger discounts.

So you can buy a sport for low to mid $20k?
most likely mid 20s on the 2 door and mid 30s on the 4 door at ganthersburg md. not here in ny.

sorry not trying to steal this post.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
Same here, I actually drove to Maryland from New Hampshire and trailered my Rubicon home.
In NC the dealers want near sticker I had a local get offended when I laughed at his huge $1000 discount. I found my Sahara in Fairfax VA with a solid 10k discount, mind you he had a number 2018s, a pile of 2019s with 2020s on the way. I was shopping used but the high resale pushed me to new. I snagged a nice Mojito Sahara (2018) for the price to a sport.

Sponsored

higbyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 sahara mojito 2.0 - 2020 Sahara Bikini 2.0
Same here, I actually drove to Maryland from New Hampshire and trailered my Rubicon home.
And I drove to NH to buy mine at Bonneville in Manchester. Shoot ,not sure I would drive to Maryland ,but I totally get it. Bonneville was way better than any VT dealer.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
In NC the dealers want near sticker I had a local get offended when I laughed at his huge $1000 discount. I found my Sahara in Fairfax VA with a solid 10k discount, mind you he had a number 2018s, a pile of 2019s with 2020s on the way. I was shopping used but the high resale pushed me to new. I snagged a nice Mojito Sahara (2018) for the price to a sport.
I’m guessing you didn’t know @Travis@TriCityJeep in Eden, NC is 6-7% under invoice?

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I leased my Sport with the intent to buy at the end of the lease.. There's no stress about miles or mods on a "lease" that I know I'm gonna buy anyway. It'll end up costing a bit more in the long run, but I'd rather have lower monthly payments. More $$ for gas!

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I leased for two main reasons:

-first year of a new FCA model, I wasn't convinced it wouldn't be trash

-I had never had a Wrangler before, and I wasn't sure I'd love it longer term

I also live in the suburbs and bought more for the "4dr convertible" aspect than the offroad part.

I found out 1) I love it, 2) it's been mostly reliable and 3) I offroad every chance I get (not that often, granted)

So assuming all is well financially at lease end in 2 years, I'll return my lease and buy a Rubicon.

Otherwise, I could buy out my current lease and probably be 90% as happy (but I really want that Rubicon...)

Scott D Hall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sting-Gray Rubicon 2.0L Turbo, 2.5" Mopar Lift w/Fox Shocks, Rock-Slider PowerSteps, BigBoy Seat Rails / 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary (Son's car) / 2019 Porsche Cayenne (Wife's Rocket) / 2019 Skeeter SX250
I leased for two main reasons:

-first year of a new FCA model, I wasn't convinced it wouldn't be trash
Probably not a bad idea with any brand of vehicle when it's the first year, it usually does mean lots of issues... I have leased two times in my life and ended up getting rid of the vehicle before it's term, so I usually stick to purchasing now, but I do see your point. I trade every two years, so me not so much.....

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Meh I paid cash for it and let it be. I have no monthly payments, no interest, nothing. I am already installing Rubi suspension on my sport S, and a few other add ons. Would suck to have to have them removed in 3 years. Also 3 years go by fast, and I don't have to deal with dealerships for a while it gives me peace of mind and saves me some life sucking stress. I can take it offroading whenever I want and drive it as much as I want. It is mine I own it.

If I would have leased, I would have gone for a Rubicon, so I could still take it off-roading without mods.

You see, cars for me have always been a cash out thing. A few years back I was in grad school so I couldn't really buy a Wrangler cash, so I went ahead and bought a corolla with 25k miles for $10k from a private party, I still have that car, it is my beater commuter and I love it. I make better financial decisions when I buy outright with cash than if I have a $300 payment a month, why not go 350?. I don't care what online calculators say what I can afford and what not, financing, leasing, etc... when financing or leasing you are always giving money away to the banks, so to me, that means I can't afford it period. And that's without taking into consideration the devaluation of cars, wranglers included. I know there is "gap" insurance, but that's just throwing away more money.

I am happy with my 2-D sport S. Didn't take me long to save to buy it, it is a jeep I can modify it as I want, and I have taken it off-road a gazillion times and works amazing for the trails I take on. But the best thing, it is mine and I don't owe money to anyone for it. Now, lets go invest in that dream house :).

Oh I also dont give a shit what people think out there cause it is not "the rubicon" or the "megatron" or wtver. I know myself that I own it, and I know my financial situation and don't need a car to show it off to anyone.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

all i am saying is my payment it only 240 a month and i bought my jeep. no lease no hassle. Got what i wanted for a price that no other dealer could touch. took me 10 mins to get the papers signed and i was out the door. but i completely under stand people going least though. my problem is i can not help modding every car and truck i own