Leasing was the best decision I ever made

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
I should probably start with I am a FCA employee. I've owned 3 Wranglers total. My first was a '97 Sahara 2.5L I4 5sp, my second was a '04 Sport 4.0L I6 Eletric Green, and now I leased a bare bones (only options are a/c, anti-slip diff, and a hardtop) and I don't regret leasing at all. I ended up trading in the electric green with 197k and got 6k for it. Got a check back for 4k, our 2k forward the lease and with my FCA discount I lease for a little over $300/mo. I should also mentioned our GM was on vacation and the actual dealer owners took like $3000 off MSRP which on Wranglers is usual MSRP or look for a used one, at least in PA. Regardless I don't regret leasing the JL and I will probably snag a JT when they roll off trucks in April/May.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Benw711

Benw711

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep Wrangler Willys Sport
I think I uploaded pictures correctly of my 2 previous Wranglers.

The '97 I purchased from my friend's parents once they decided they just wanted their driveway back after it was sitting for awhile. Threw a new alternator, new battery in it and it fired right up. Drove it for a week or so and sold it to a gentlemen down in MD.

The '04 was supposed to be this years summer Wrangler but I decided to just get the JL when I saw our dealer discount!

A2661626-6887-4753-AE8B-6E3D90BB8701.jpeg

0153AFC0-1DB1-466C-8E33-A731DC2EEFC2.jpeg

Goheels050917

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU (SOLD - March 2021)
Occupation
SD-WAN Engineer - Technical Author
Ditto. For $267 a month on a lease, I got a steal :)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Leasing can be beneficial if:
1. the lease residual is inflated vs. reality (TBD on the JL)
-and/or-
2. The lease money factor is lower than you could get financing (never been the case with Wranglers)
3. You are investing the cash flow you free up by leasing instead of financing

I leased an F30 BMW and at lease end it was worth like $4k less than my lease residual, and I was able to use Multiple Security Deposits to buy the money factor down below that I would have paid if financing. So in that sense leasing 'saved' me over $4k, but only because I hated that car and would have sold it anyway after 3 years. If I wanted to hold onto it, leasing wouldn't have been worth the acquisition fee.

Leasing is appealing on a JLU Sport/Sport S, thanks to higher residuals. I can't make the math work on other trims, though.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
So if you wanted the JL after 6 years, how does the leasing work out?
Not saying it's a bad idea (I do lease other cars), but Wranglers have a reputation for not changing much year to year and the generations typically last 10 years or so. So you might end up saving a few per month, then after 3 years having no equity and buying a new Wrangler that looks pretty much identical to the one you leased and starting all over again.
Again, not saying leasing a Wrangler is bad, but I'd be curious to see your numbers lease vs own.

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
i traded in my paid off loaded 2012 JKUR bought my loaded JLUR and I'm paying $324 a mo. Unlike most cars, Jeeps reward you if you hold on to them as well. I traded my 2012 after 6 years for 70% of what I paid for it 6 years and 95K miles before...

Sponsored

jl73660

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moving on up .....
I should probably start with I am a FCA employee. I've owned 3 Wranglers total. My first was a '97 Sahara 2.5L I4 5sp, my second was a '04 Sport 4.0L I6 Eletric Green, and now I leased a bare bones (only options are a/c, anti-slip diff, and a hardtop) and I don't regret leasing at all. I ended up trading in the electric green with 197k and got 6k for it. Got a check back for 4k, our 2k forward the lease and with my FCA discount I lease for a little over $300/mo. I should also mentioned our GM was on vacation and the actual dealer owners took like $3000 off MSRP which on Wranglers is usual MSRP or look for a used one, at least in PA. Regardless I don't regret leasing the JL and I will probably snag a JT when they roll off trucks in April/May.
Strange, the dealers all take $8k to $10k off msrp here in VA.... I could not imagine paying anything near sticker for a Wrangler

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Foregoing the lectures on owning usually (but not always) being the better financial deal than leasing, I would have suspected Wranglers to have less leases (do they?) than other vehicles, giving the hard to back out, or simple the number of mods some make to the Wranglers they lease.

While I see those parts fitting just fine in a newer JL, leased in a few years, as I can't see FCA making model changes so early into the JLs life (the JK lasting a decade), such an investment in parts for say a newly leased JK may have found those parts being sold in the market at probably a fraction of their original price when the JL was announced.

Whatever. People can spend $ as they see fit.

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
I kind of regret not leasing, I could have done so much more with the cash and probably made some money off it, but then again I'm not tied to a payment, dont have to worry about crazy insurance limits and most of all the taxes would have been quite a bit more, my state caps it at $500 where on a lease you pay tax on every payment, in the end it would have been over $10k more plus additional insurance costs to be driving (and modifying) a vehicle I dont own.
Sponsored