Sponsored

lease vs buy or selling "after a couple years" calculation?

heckofagator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Hi gang, I'm looking for a vehicle to drive for the next 3 years. I was considering leasing, but I just don't seem to be finding good numbers. I was considering leasing just because I didn't want to run into a problem selling the vehicle later.

Knowing that the Wranglers keep their value very well, as anyone run any numbers about buying a new or year old Wrangler (JLU Sahara in my case) and then selling it in 3 or so years? I have read that the KBB values are not accurate for this model so I'm not even sure how to start comparing here.

I think a JLU Sahara with leather lease would run around $450/month which is $16k over 3 years. Could you buy a year old JLU to let the 1st buying deal with much of the depreciation and then drive it for 3 years and sell for $15k less than what you paid? Hoping some Jeep veterans may have some insight here....

thanks!
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Buying a like new one year old JL will probably be the most cost effective. You might be without a bumper-bumper warranty for one year depending on when the used JL was punched for warranty.

Historically Wranglers held value really well. It's too early to say for the JL. FCA is making a lot of them.

The ALG is the industry benchmark for predicting depreciation.

https://www.alg.com/vehicle-awards.html#usa-tab3

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Hi gang, I'm looking for a vehicle to drive for the next 3 years. I was considering leasing, but I just don't seem to be finding good numbers. I was considering leasing just because I didn't want to run into a problem selling the vehicle later.

Knowing that the Wranglers keep their value very well, as anyone run any numbers about buying a new or year old Wrangler (JLU Sahara in my case) and then selling it in 3 or so years? I have read that the KBB values are not accurate for this model so I'm not even sure how to start comparing here.

I think a JLU Sahara with leather lease would run around $450/month which is $16k over 3 years. Could you buy a year old JLU to let the 1st buying deal with much of the depreciation and then drive it for 3 years and sell for $15k less than what you paid? Hoping some Jeep veterans may have some insight here....

thanks!
I can tell you that my JLU MSRP was $60k and trade is in the (very high) 30's in less than 10 months (primarily due to the fact that options don't retain value, and I had a ton of them). Agreed sales price was $53k, but I leased. No cash down, paying around $500/month + tax. 48 months, 15k a year. Sahara's will probably hold their value the least. But yeah... 10 months, figure $14k in depreciation already. My lease responsibility was around $24k for the entire 4 years. I can guarantee that in the next ~38 months it will drop more than another $10k in value with 60,000 on the ODO.

If you buy, stick with little to no options (<10% of MSRP), get as large of a discount as possible (~7% off invoice) and stick to either a Sport S or Rubicon. If you pay low $40's for a Rubi, if I had to guess it'll be worth (private party) low $30's in 3 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: