First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
My lease on my 2018 Sport S is coming to an end in August, so I’m starting to think about what the next move is. I like the Jeep a lot, and one option is to buy it out. I think the buyout is in the $36-37k range. For that I’d get a 2018 with <30k miles that I’ve put on it, I know there are no lingering issues, and is equipped about 90% of the way I’d want it. The downsides are that it would be out of the B2B warranty, and it’s not perfectly equipped. Also, where’s the fun in just signing up for a new round of payments on a vehicle you already have?

My original thought was to go get a sweetheart deal on a Grand Cherokee, as they are ending production. I drove one a few weeks ago and I liked it, but I didn’t love it, and there were no “sweetheart deals” to be had; a 5.7L High Altitude edition was offered to me for $4500 down and $650/mo. Yeah, pass thanks. A nice 3.6L 80th Anniversary with a few options was offered at $1500 down and $550/mo but that didn’t seem worth it either.

The other option is to just go lease a new Wrangler. I’d do a Willy’s this time around, in nice Sarge Green, and get basically all the stuff my Sport already has. Plus I’d be able to add the stuff it doesn’t, namely better tires, LED lights, and a LSD. My payment goes up a bit, maybe $75, but I start the clock over on miles and warranty. If I buy out my Sport, the tires would get done on that, and I’d want to eventually figure out some better lights. Also, I’d switch from the 3.6L in my Sport to the 2.0T in the Willy’s, not sure that’s a positive move or not. I kinda like the basic 3.6L, and the regular fuel requirement, but more power is cool too. I don’t want to pay for the hybrid 3.6L for $1500 in the Willy’s, and I don’t think you can get the regular 3.6L with the 8AT? At least that’s how it seems from the configurator.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Dude.... We currently have 2 JLs. One is a month old buy, and the the other is a 2019 JLU leased, with 24kmi and about 2 more yrs left on the lease.. We love them both, but then this weekend happened. Just for the hell of it, we decided to book an appointment to test drive the new Tesla Model-Y. That car is is incredible, and so fast that you could loose consciousness from the Gs it puts on you. Been on lease swap sites all day trying to figure out how to get out of our lease so that we can go buy a Tesla Model Y. Before you do anything "GO TEST DRIVE THE TESLA MODEL Y". Don't take anyone's hearsay, see for your self. The test drive process is more like being in a busy apple store rather than a dealership.. They start at 41K well equipped.

OP
OP
S2k Chris

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I had a Model X for a weekend a while back, and it was cool as shit. But they don’t work for me for two reasons:

1. They lease like garbage, because EV tech is moving at a rapid pace and no one wants a 3y/o EV

2. We have a family vacation home about 350 miles away, and we go there frequently ( most every month, sometimes more) and EVs aren’t to where they can comfortably handle that trip yet. We go after work a lot, which means arriving at midnight/1AM, including in the winter months, and it’s in the middle of nowhere so I’m not comfortable making that trip in an EV.

In 5 years, absolutely. Today? No. I considered the PHEV Jeep but I think that’s too $$$ as well.

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
My situation. My 2015 GCherokee overland was up February one. I had initially reserved a Bronco but knew it would be a while for those. What I did is refinanced with my local credit union on a 4 year term with no early buyout penalty clause. Monthly payment went down a few hundred dollars and will bide my time, however....

EF Bronco and their politics and availability so I dropped my order and went JLUR ordered Jan29. By the time this shows up I would have made 2 payments maybe to my Cherokee. The only downside here is the two credit checks 2 months apart.
Sponsored