Lean? Driver side higher than passenger

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Hey all. So I noticed that my JLUR passenger side is about 1/2 inch lower than my driver side. I just had the mopar lift installed and I’m not sure if it was like this stock but definitely has a “lean” now.

I’ve read the JKs used to have this and it’s normal. Doing a search on here I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer.

I also got a chance to measured a Sahara and it seemed to have the same 1/2 inch lean.

Really want to get some other insights or if other members are noticing this? Or have measured?

Thanks!
Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
I have a ‘20 Sahara with the 2” Mopar lift and I have not noticed it. If there is a lean it is very slight.

OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have a ‘20 Sahara with the 2” Mopar lift and I have not noticed it. If there is a lean it is very slight.
Yeah it’s about 1/2 inch lean for me. It’s not drastic but kinda noticeable. Just not sure if normal. If you get a chance and can measure it let me know. Thanks!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all. So I noticed that my JLUR passenger side is about 1/2 inch lower than my driver side. I just had the mopar lift installed and I’m not sure if it was like this stock but definitely has a “lean” now.

I’ve read the JKs used to have this and it’s normal. Doing a search on here I haven’t been able to find a definitive answer.

I also got a chance to measured a Sahara and it seemed to have the same 1/2 inch lean.

Really want to get some other insights or if other members are noticing this? Or have measured?

Thanks!
You can get some rk rear bottom coil isolators, the passengers side is a 1/2” taller than the drivers side. This will take part of it out, but as long as you have fuel in the gas tank, it’s gonna be a little lower on that side. Mine is off a 1/4” but had the wife measure with me in it, ( 200lbs) and it sits level.
It would be even worse if the Mopar springs weren’t a half inch longer on that side.......:)

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

Thanks!
This happens when you put a lift w/o corner specific springs.
Don't know why all JL lift kits don't come with them

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
This happens when you put a lift w/o corner specific springs.
Don't know why all JL lift kits don't come with them
The Mopar lift does have corner specific springs, passenger front and rear are a half inch longer.

OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The Mopar lift does have corner specific springs, passenger front and rear are a half inch longer.
Yeah it does and installed correctly red on drivers and blue on passenger. Wondering why still the lean.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I have a 20' 2-door Rubi and measured her yesterday before I started my lift install and she was dead level side to side. I measured sitting in the garage, no one in the jeep and the gas tank near empty. I am hoping she is still level (side to side) after the lift! I went with the Mopar lift as I wanted corner-specific springs and the 2.5 Fox shocks (the 2.5's are a Mopar exclusive) The only thing that gives me pause is I went with the RK spring perches instead of the included Mopar ones (I have the newest 'AD' kit). The Mopar perches are side specific and the RK are identical side to side. I was very careful to make sure the upper front rubber collars for the springs were properly seated with both locating tab's protruding through the alignment holes on top of the spring tower. *Note: Ditch the lock nut that comes for the front bump stops if you have the 'AD' kit and replace it as there is no easy way to grip the front bump stop while trying to tighten it-luckily I test fitted mine first.
Plan to finish installing my lift today and have an alignment scheduled for Tuesday am. Much further down the rabbit hole on this lift than I originally planned but things happen and that old saying-in for a penny, in for a pound...Early on I planned for just an adjustable set of lower control arms and adjustable track bar...Wound up getting Teraflex adjustable IR LCA's for the front and IR adjustable front track bar with their new bushings. Would have been fine if I had not had to reschedule my install twice...Something came over me last week (I don't even drink!) and I wound up buying the remaining six Teraflex IR control arms. So today is finish lift with replacement of all control arms and a Teraflex axle mounted rear track bar relocation bracket. Not an inexpensive lift but one I hope checks off all boxes for what I want: A LCG build that handles / rides / looks great with my 35' KO2's and offers improved off road performance!

UPDATE: A few twists and turns during my install...
First, the weld-on skid plates for the front lower control arms I had installed will not allow the factory lower control arms to be removed-even with a large pry bar. I will now have to either bevel cut the skids in the center (to allow the factory bracket to spread open) and then weld/grind smooth after installing the new LCA's or completely cut them off, clean up the factory brackets and reinstall new skids after LCA installation and alignment.
Second, the Teraflex IR adjustable track bar end (the teardrop shape tip at the fixed end) was rubbing the inside of the frame mounted track bar bracket and had to be ground off about an 1/8 inch and painted. Again, this was just the teardrop shape tip and no big deal but could not align the bolt hole without doing this.
Third, on the front axle wiring there is enough slack in the wireing (after cutting the wire tie where the wiring was folded onto itself to remove surplus slack with factory height) but none of the factory push pin ties then line up-you either have to order new ones or use black zip ties.
Fourth, when using Teraflex LCA's their instructions tell you switch lower front sway bar bolts with lower front shock bolts (factory lower front shock bolts are too long and hit the larger diameter Teraflex LCA's) but they do not mention that if you are also using a Teraflex adjustable front track bar, the longer switched bolts now interfere with the axle side of the track bar...I cut off the bolt as a temporary fix and bought a new bolt from my Jeep dealer.
Fifth, even though the included Mopar rear bump stop bolts come with thread lock compound on the bolt threads they also come with locknuts...Either use a ratcheting combo wrench (not even a 1/4 ratchet with extra short socket will fit) or better yet, just toss the locknuts and replace with non-locking nuts...Or prepare to spend a long time tightening four bolts that should take about two minutes.
Will finish update after I find time to deal with the LCA skid's...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I have a 20' 2-door Rubi and measured her yesterday before I started my lift install and she was dead level side to side. I measured sitting in the garage, no one in the jeep and the gas tank near empty. I am hoping she is still level (side to side) after the lift! I went with the Mopar lift as I wanted corner-specific springs and the 2.5 Fox shocks (the 2.5's are a Mopar exclusive) The only thing that gives me pause is I went with the RK spring perches instead of the included Mopar ones (I have the newest 'AD' kit). The Mopar perches are side specific and the RK are identical side to side. I was very careful to make sure the upper front rubber collars for the springs were properly seated with both locating tab's protruding through the alignment holes on top of the spring tower. *Note: Ditch the lock nut that comes for the front bump stops if you have the 'AD' kit and replace it as there is no easy way to grip the front bump stop while trying to tighten it-luckily I test fitted mine first.
Plan to finish installing my lift today and have an alignment scheduled for Tuesday am. Much further down the rabbit hole on this lift than I originally planned but things happen and that old saying-in for a penny, in for a pound...Early on I planned for just an adjustable set of lower control arms and adjustable track bar...Wound up getting Teraflex adjustable IR LCA's for the front and IR adjustable front track bar with their new bushings. Would have been fine if I had not had to reschedule my install twice...Something came over me last week (I don't even drink!) and I wound up buying the remaining six Teraflex IR control arms. So today is finish lift with replacement of all control arms and a Teraflex axle mounted rear track bar relocation bracket. Not an inexpensive lift but one I hope checks off all boxes for what I want: A LCG build that handles / rides / looks great with my 35' KO2's and offers improved off road performance!
Good luck with the install. I also have 35 KO2. Let me know how it goes. I also went with the RK correction pads maybe that’s why I have a slight lean.

OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Sure enough, i climbed under... (note i thought it was installed correctly) and noticed the red and blue and part numbers do not match. So it is installed other way around. Just emailed the installer, hope they can get this corrected for me. Does it need a re alignment after spring install?

IMG_7640.JPG

Sponsored

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah it’s about 1/2 inch lean for me. It’s not drastic but kinda noticeable. Just not sure if normal. If you get a chance and can measure it let me know. Thanks!
Will do. I will check today and let you know.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
JKs are notorious for that slight lean. Perhaps they included this on the JL as a "legacy feature". :)

Just Google "JK lean".

Last edited:

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Sure enough, i climbed under... (note i thought it was installed correctly) and noticed the red and blue and part numbers do not match. So it is installed other way around. Just emailed the installer, hope they can get this corrected for me. Does it need a re alignment after spring install?

IMG_7640.JPG
No alignment needed.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Damm! Measured my 2-door Rubi before starting my Mopar 2 inch lift and she was dead level side to side. Just measured today (been busy so measure was all I had time for today) and she now lists to starboard (passenger side) 3/4 inch in front and about 1/2 inch rear. I should have listened to my gut and used the new Mopar perches (AD kit) as the Mopar ones are marked left and right while the RK ones I used are the same for each side...I really hate doing things twice but will be replacing the RK perches with the newer Mopar ones. Yes, I triple checked to make sure the springs were not switched and the top pads were properly installed. Between this and the weld-on front LCA skid fiasco, I am not a happy camper.
Sponsored