Leaky Axle - Fix Myself or Warranty?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I rotated the tires the other day and noted the right rear axle had a slow leak and the inside of the wheel had light build up as well as the backing plate and caliper area. Definitely gear oil, from the smell.

Being the type that does all my own maintenance, I'm thinking about doing the bearng/seal replacement myself. But this is a warranty covered item. You mechanical types out there, would you do it yourself or take it in and let a dealer do it?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I rotated the tires the other day and noted the right rear axle had a slow leak and the inside of the wheel had light build up as well as the backing plate and caliper area. Definitely gear oil, from the smell.

Being the type that does all my own maintenance, I'm thinking about doing the bearng/seal replacement myself. But this is a warranty covered item. You mechanical types out there, would you do it yourself or take it in and let a dealer do it?
I would let my dealership do it. But I’ve been doing business with them for years and the head mechanic is a close friend of mine. I would definitely do it myself before I would let a random dealership do it. I’m like you, I do everything I can myself warranty or not. Basically major engine/drivetrain and computer related problems is what I use warranty for. So imho, I wouldn’t let dealer touch your rig, unless you’re comfortable and/or familiar with them......my.02. .........:)

Reactions: GtX

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Let the dealership do it. If they are a trusted one. Hey, you get an axle fluid change, for free.

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't have a trusted dealership. So, it would be just some random Joe-bag-o-donuts mechanic at the closest dealership doing it.

I took my 2014 GMC Sierra in to a dealer yesterday for the first time. It was for 5 NHTSA safety recalls. Otherwise I would not have taken it in. I also asked them to check into a front timing cover leak that has gotten pretty bad. The service writer seemed not to noted my comments about the leak that I had to raise 3 times, since he didn't even put it on the service write-up. Finally, he pencil'd it in after my noting it wasn't on there. I have zero confidence they'll do anything about it.

johnparjr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
why do the work when its a warranty issue I know a lot of people don't trust their dealers but how would you know their work ahead of time without trying it first

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Let FCA do it. If it turns out to be a defect somewhere in the design or assembly then you will have had them working on it from the get-go - and that will be on record. If, later, after having done initial repairs yourself it could be more difficult to have them acknowledge it was an FCA issue as the root cause and if an expensive part/assembly needs replacement that could then fall on you.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
You should get what you paid for. I'd take it to the dealer and use the warranty on principle. If they screw it up they can redo it a couple of more times until they Lemon it.

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I don't have a trusted dealership. So, it would be just some random Joe-bag-o-donuts mechanic at the closest dealership doing it.

I took my 2014 GMC Sierra in to a dealer yesterday for the first time. It was for 5 NHTSA safety recalls. Otherwise I would not have taken it in. I also asked them to check into a front timing cover leak that has gotten pretty bad. The service writer seemed not to noted my comments about the leak that I had to raise 3 times, since he didn't even put it on the service write-up. Finally, he pencil'd it in after my noting it wasn't on there. I have zero confidence they'll do anything about it.
Hey, roaniecowpony. To clarify, have you scheduled an appointment with the dealer for your Jeep? If so, please let us know how it goes and if you need any assistance, we are available via private message.

Kate
JeepCares

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
You should get what you paid for. I'd take it to the dealer and use the warranty on principle. If they screw it up they can redo it a couple of more times until they Lemon it.
Funny. That very scenario happened to me in 1998 with a Silverado. It leaked on the brake and cause a bad pull. I had bought the truck to tow a horse trailer, but it pulled so bad I never hooked one up to it. I took it in 4 times until I went to BBB and won arbitration for a buy-back. They changed the seal 4 times and the actual axle housing (not the guts) once. I told them the last time to change the axle as that was the only part left in the system. They didn't and it leaked again and they bought it back.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to chromoly axle shafts! ;)

A dealer lot is the most dangerous place for any vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
roaniecowpony

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Look at it as an opportunity to upgrade to chromoly axle shafts! ;)

A dealer lot is the most dangerous place for any vehicle.
LOL, What do you suppose the OEM shafts are made of?

Digiwolf

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
Hey, roaniecowpony. To clarify, have you scheduled an appointment with the dealer for your Jeep? If so, please let us know how it goes and if you need any assistance, we are available via private message.

Kate
JeepCares
This is how it will go with worthless JeepCares.

"The dealer says that there is no leak and we trust what our dealerships say more then you so.... have a good day"