Sponsored

Leaking Rubicon Shock - Best Replacement Shock No Lift

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I have a slow leak on one of my Rubicon rear shocks. A couple drops of oil run down the shock. I wipe off the oil and the drip comes back after driving around. Picture below shows the small line of oil dripping down the body of the shock. I used a black-light and confirmed it's shock oil. Pretty disappointed because the shocks only have 17k miles.

I'd like to use this opportunity to upgrade. What are the best aftermarket replacements for a stock-height Rubicon? I was looking at the Bilstein 5100s, but they are recommended for a lifted JL. Will they fit a non-lifted Rubicon? Any other reasonably priced replacements?

Jeep Wrangler JL Leaking Rubicon Shock - Best Replacement Shock No Lift PXL_20210125_203007410
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I have a slow leak on one of my Rubicon rear shocks. A couple drops of oil run down the shock. I wipe off the oil and the drip comes back after driving around. Picture below shows the small line of oil dripping down the body of the shock. I used a black-light and confirmed it's shock oil. Pretty disappointed because the shocks only have 17k miles.

I'd like to use this opportunity to upgrade. What are the best aftermarket replacements for a stock-height Rubicon? I was looking at the Bilstein 5100s, but they are recommended for a lifted JL. Will they fit a non-lifted Rubicon? Any other reasonably priced replacements?

Jeep Wrangler JL Leaking Rubicon Shock - Best Replacement Shock No Lift PXL_20210125_203007410
Best no lift shock? Probably one of these options: https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/18-jeep-wrangler-jl-0-1-5-lift-shock-package/

Best on a budget? These are an option.
Front: https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/18-jeep-wrangler-jl-front-2-0-fox-shocks-ps-ifp-0-1-5-lift/
Rear: https://accutuneoffroad.com/product/18-jeep-wrangler-jl-rear-2-0-fox-shocks-ps-ifp-0-1-5-lift/

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
LOL, same boat, I discovered both mine were leaking when I rotated my tires, can't feel in the cab yet, so I am looking at what to order.....considering the 5100 as well...

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher

I have Rubi springs and shocks on my JL Sport, and have no plans to lift it further so this is an interesting topic. From searching the Bilstein website, they do make the 4600 (classic yellow/blue heavy duty shock) for OEM height. Bilstein also has a part number in the 5100 series for 0"-1.5" lift - Here's the front shock and here's the rear shock. They list the specs for the shocks, extended and compressed, but I don't know how that compares to the OEM Rubicon shocks, or if the lengths are close enough where it wouldn't make a difference at stock height with stock bumpstops - hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on that.

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have Rubi springs and shocks on my JL Sport, and have no plans to lift it further so this is an interesting topic. From searching the Bilstein website, they do make the 4600 (classic yellow/blue heavy duty shock) for OEM height. Bilstein also has a part number in the 5100 series for 0"-1.5" lift - Here's the front shock and here's the rear shock. They list the specs for the shocks, extended and compressed, but I don't know how that compares to the OEM Rubicon shocks, or if the lengths are close enough where it wouldn't make a difference at stock height with stock bumpstops - hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on that.
Yes this exactly. I have a Sport S that I installed Rubicon shocks, springs, wheels and tires on. I'd like to just replace the Rubicon shocks with Bilstein 5100s but not sure if they're the right fit.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Yes this exactly. I have a Sport S that I installed Rubicon shocks, springs, wheels and tires on. I'd like to just replace the Rubicon shocks with Bilstein 5100s but not sure if they're the right fit.
What is the part number of the front shocks that you are looking at? The shortest Bilstein 5100s I can find for the JL are for a 2"-3" lift, and have a collapsed length that is probably too long for factory bump stops.

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Bilstein 5100 Front - 33-316314
Bilstein 5100 Rear - 33-316321

Bilstein lists in the note, "For Lifted Height: 0-1.5". Some other websites list the shame shocks for a 2-3". So confusing information out there.
I always go by the collapsed & extended lengths anyway. Looks like these should work pretty good, and even gain a little travel over the Rubicon shocks.

Rubicon Front: 15.75"-23.63"
Rubicon Rear: 17.50"-26.00"

Bilstein Front: 15.86"-24.84"
Bilstein Rear: 16.93"-26.94"

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I always go by the collapsed & extended lengths anyway. Looks like these should work pretty good, and even gain a little travel over the Rubicon shocks.

Rubicon Front: 15.75"-23.63"
Rubicon Rear: 17.50"-26.00"

Bilstein Front: 15.86"-24.84"
Bilstein Rear: 16.93"-26.94"
so does this mean gtg w stock stops? I would guess ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so does this mean gtg w stock stops? I would guess ok.
I believe so. The difference is small.

Now the question is, are Bilstein 5100s any better than stock Rubicon shocks? I haven't found anyone comparing them on the internet. I don't think anyone has the Bilstein 5100s yet on a JL.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I believe so. The difference is small.

Now the question is, are Bilstein 5100s any better than stock Rubicon shocks? I haven't found anyone comparing them on the internet. I don't think anyone has the Bilstein 5100s yet on a JL.
I found one thread where a member put them on his rig and complimented them.

I would imagine the ride is better. Maybe I will order a set of rears and try them there before committing to fronts.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
they appear to be new and not in stock in very many places....

OP
OP
Thetickz

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they appear to be new and not in stock in very many places....
That's what I see too. I think they're pretty new. Summit Racing has them in stock.

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That's what I see too. I think they're pretty new. Summit Racing has them in stock.
Hmmm, well, 2 bills to give the rear a try, prob feel very similar to the oem shock. I have a few things on the queue to install-diff covers and lights, but will get to these next good weather weekend.

I am also still debating getting weighed and getting a pair of tuned 2.5s from accutune.
Sponsored