Leak! One Touch Power Roof

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I have had the issue where water pours over the visor or over the driver door or both after a heavy rain on my 2019 Sahara. Been to dealer twice. First time they replaced the door window seal (?) and today the service notes are "Found roof weather strip leaking at left side" and "Cleaned and re-installed weatherstrip to roof as per STAR case" I have no idea what a STAR case is or what the STAR case identifier is. Anyway, will have to wait for rain to see if it has been corrected.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have had the issue where water pours over the visor or over the driver door or both after a heavy rain on my 2019 Sahara. Been to dealer twice. First time they replaced the door window seal (?) and today the service notes are "Found roof weather strip leaking at left side" and "Cleaned and re-installed weatherstrip to roof as per STAR case" I have no idea what a STAR case is or what the STAR case identifier is. Anyway, will have to wait for rain to see if it has been corrected.
Hi @barton,

If your dealer opened a STAR case, it means that they contacted an engineering team for additional support. Please feel free to send us a private message if you visit the dealer in the future and would like assistance.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Hi @barton,

If your dealer opened a STAR case, it means that they contacted an engineering team for additional support. Please feel free to send us a private message if you visit the dealer in the future and would like assistance.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Hi Darlene,
Repair was completed yesterday. Rained last night. Leak persists. :( PM sent.
Thanks, Pat

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Darlene,
Repair was completed yesterday. Rained last night. Leak persists. :( PM sent.
Thanks, Pat
Thank you, Pat. I have responded to your private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Sponsored

Hulky

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Altitude
I just purchased a new 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude with Sky One Touch and on the four corners I see a 1mm gap approx. 3 inches wide on the outside perimeter seal. The exact same thing described earlier in this thread. Water pools inside as you can see in my picture. I have not experienced a leak (although I have not driven in rain yet).

Does anybody have any advice? I brought it to the dealer and they told me not to worry about it. Do I just buy Mopar Butyl Tape and fill the gaps? It annoys me every time I look up there and see the little space. After paying over 50k for a car you would think the quality should be impeccable- but its not :/.

If anybody can shed some light, it would be awesome!

IMG-4146.jpg

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
Hey bruh' ... I feel for you. In my case, It had to be taken in twice, a month apart to get the problem fixed. The first time, all they did was apply pressure on the seals to ensure the butyl sealant is bedded properly. That solved the problem temporarily, but then it started leaking again a month later. Second time around, they applied additional butyl where it was thin and had potential for leakage. This fixed the problem (at least for me) and so far no leakage after 6 months. Let's hope it remains such. The forum has a bunch of horror stories and it really worries me.
As for advice, I would say get it fixed from the dealer under warranty. Don't try to fix it yourself and risk voiding the warranty. A good dealership should fix the problem as there are quite a few star cases out there for this problem. If your dealership is not providing adequate service, contact Jeep Cares on the forum and open a case - they will then ensure that it gets fixed properly.

Tpaxc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey bruh' ... I feel for you. In my case, It had to be taken in twice, a month apart to get the problem fixed. The first time, all they did was apply pressure on the seals to ensure the butyl sealant is bedded properly. That solved the problem temporarily, but then it started leaking again a month later. Second time around, they applied additional butyl where it was thin and had potential for leakage. This fixed the problem (at least for me) and so far no leakage after 6 months. Let's hope it remains such. The forum has a bunch of horror stories and it really worries me.
As for advice, I would say get it fixed from the dealer under warranty. Don't try to fix it yourself and risk voiding the warranty. A good dealership should fix the problem as there are quite a few star cases out there for this problem. If your dealership is not providing adequate service, contact Jeep Cares on the forum and open a case - they will then ensure that it gets fixed properly.

I Have a 19 rubicon with the skytouch top and this just started happening the other day off the front driver visor. Like seriously this is a 50k Jeep with a 4K option top on it. Please tell me that there is a fix

zingat

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeepster !
Vehicle Showcase
I Have a 19 rubicon with the skytouch top and this just started happening the other day off the front driver visor. Like seriously this is a 50k Jeep with a 4K option top on it. Please tell me that there is a fix
Oh boy. This problem is still not fixed. Hopefully this is an anomaly and not a trend.

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Oh boy. This problem is still not fixed. Hopefully this is an anomaly and not a trend.
I had similar problem on my 2019 Sahara. leaked over driver visor, driver door, left rear corner onto the 12v port. And i don't just mean a drop here or there, it would pour through each of these areas. The dealers here (north Atlanta) all use a 3rd party to repair roof leaks. Finally fixed on the 5th attempt over the course of 4 months after I insisted they find another company to effect repair.

Sponsored

Had96

First Name
Hadlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2019
I have taken my 2019 Jeep to my hometown dealership where they replaced door seals and the roof seals and it still leaked. When I picked it up was told it is just going to leak and there is nothing they can do. I did not want to believe this was true. I called to schedule an appointment with the Jeep dealership I bought the car from where they stated it shouldnā€™t leak. I bring it down there, they keep it for 4 days, with no loaner given because they state ā€œif itā€™s not a safety issue, they donā€™t issue loanersā€. Then they call me and tell me to come down there and take it through a car wash to video where it leaks and drop it back off with the videos as they cannot recreate the issue at the dealership. I do this, and bring the car back and they didnā€™t want the videos they just were playing with me about it. I can see light out of my back end. This is ridiculous. So I dropped it off with the understanding they would look at it again. Then I get a call the next day and they state the vehicle is just going to leak there is nothing they can do. I asked for the service manager. Where he didnā€™t know the whole situation so I explained it to him showed him where the leaks are and he states that they will probably have to replace the whole top. I can take the Jeep and they will call me when they get the parts in. I called them after a week of waiting for the parts where I was told the part was just ordered yesterday and wonā€™t be here till next week. The only part order was a seal for the back window. My whole car is leaking. Front passenger seat, back driver side and passenger passenger seat, And the back end on both sides and in the middle. They tell me the other leaks besides the window is just going to happen because thatā€™s how the Jeeps are. I want this fixed, because this is ridiculous to spend this kind of money and get a car that leaks or you canā€™t take through a car wash or in heavy rain. I am at a lost as to what else I can do.

VeroV

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
I found out us is also leaking in the back, both sides. So all 4 corners (both visors location at the front and both corners at the back) are leaking.

I am guess it is not a leak, it could be the moisture build up inside and collected at the corners.

20190118_094810.jpg
I have the same issue exactly and it pours on me as I drive. I took it in to the dealer and it was a horrible experience. they said they do not give loaners. they kept it 4 days and returned it with a paper saying it was fixed and reinforces the trim stuff.... it poured yesterday and same leak... I dont even want to go back to the dealer. I went to the place that I had bought it... its a 2020 vehicle... its super frustrating. I read other posts about the angle the jeep is parked and I agree that if I park it tilted nose up the water moves back on side rims and does not leak in versus if parked angled nose down.
Jeep Wrangler JL Leak! One Touch Power Roof F636D409-9A61-4087-975F-517D18D4A654

EE33DA6D-4D66-4CA2-A778-4ACE75BC2584.png

49552C82-6BC5-4E4B-A14D-DDB65A6CF43F.png

71734A72-DDE0-4858-9BB4-CD0E91E1896A.png

Last edited:

VeroV

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
I have taken my 2019 Jeep to my hometown dealership where they replaced door seals and the roof seals and it still leaked. When I picked it up was told it is just going to leak and there is nothing they can do. I did not want to believe this was true. I called to schedule an appointment with the Jeep dealership I bought the car from where they stated it shouldnā€™t leak. I bring it down there, they keep it for 4 days, with no loaner given because they state ā€œif itā€™s not a safety issue, they donā€™t issue loanersā€. Then they call me and tell me to come down there and take it through a car wash to video where it leaks and drop it back off with the videos as they cannot recreate the issue at the dealership. I do this, and bring the car back and they didnā€™t want the videos they just were playing with me about it. I can see light out of my back end. This is ridiculous. So I dropped it off with the understanding they would look at it again. Then I get a call the next day and they state the vehicle is just going to leak there is nothing they can do. I asked for the service manager. Where he didnā€™t know the whole situation so I explained it to him showed him where the leaks are and he states that they will probably have to replace the whole top. I can take the Jeep and they will call me when they get the parts in. I called them after a week of waiting for the parts where I was told the part was just ordered yesterday and wonā€™t be here till next week. The only part order was a seal for the back window. My whole car is leaking. Front passenger seat, back driver side and passenger passenger seat, And the back end on both sides and in the middle. They tell me the other leaks besides the window is just going to happen because thatā€™s how the Jeeps are. I want this fixed, because this is ridiculous to spend this kind of money and get a car that leaks or you canā€™t take through a car wash or in heavy rain. I am at a lost as to what else I can do.
I FEEL JUST THE SAME!!!!! you are not alone!!! I do see that its more on how the water drips off the side where the rubber trim is.... because the angle that I park makes a difference... angled nose down it leaks and angled nose up on a ramp the water falls back and wont leak. did u notice that?

703B12B9-6875-4BDE-A204-1E6845508216.jpeg

9A2D0D6E-5F19-48C0-A394-65D5EC114E1B.jpeg

9D784E22-1863-4C49-80EE-6642CF5B2DD3.jpeg

VeroV

First Name
Veronica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2020
Ok ... apologies for not posting an update earlier. So I solved the leaking problem myself without going to the dealer. The real problem is that the sealer and rubber trim is not applied properly at that spot causing a slight wedge. This prevented the rain water from rolling off to the side and eventually found its way inside as it pooled at that edge. With some light finger pressure and a blunt paper clip, I was able to push the wedge back in opening up the water channel. This solved my problem.

I believe the problems behind all these leaks is that the rubber seal around the top has some weak spots where the sealant hasnā€™t been applied properly, interfering / blocking the thin water channel that moves the water to the side of the Jeep.

The real problem though is poor quality control from the FCA factory.

Inspire of this hiccup, I love my Sky On-Touch and have no regrets about my decision.

Am I concerned that over time there could be additional leaks ? Definitely, but now I know more and will get it fixed from the dealer if thereā€™s more.

I will post pics shortly on how the seal looks now.
please post images so maybe I can try this bc I agree with you! if i park on a ramp angled nose up the water falls back and it wont leak

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara High Altitude
While driving to work this morning.

F63D0611-34C8-4F69-8DDA-2A4422B4E0D5.jpeg

EAEC1B74-73FD-4426-B75A-A1E20256A031.jpeg

C4E49871-A761-4483-9E7A-5B9384FDCBF2.jpeg
Sponsored