Sponsored

Leak on Driver Side -- due to amp power wire through firewall?

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
Hello all - I installed an amp in my jeep a few weeks ago. This evening, after heavy rain all day, I looking in my jeep and saw a decent puddle forming on the driver side. When I installed the amp, I removed the clutch cover and routed the wire through the hole. Can anyone verify if this is actually a place where water would get in to that extent? I thought it would be OK since it's well under the hood, and set into the back of the engine compartment.

I'm assuming I could put the cover to the hole back in and just drill a hole through it to route the wire through -- but I just want to make sure that this is most likely where water is leaking in. I could not find signs that it was coming through the ceiling or door -- it seemed to come through the bottom of the dash.
Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
You can make a hole in that plastic disc, then cut from the edge to the hole. Slide over the wire, work back on to the metal edges. Seal the wire opening with Strip Caulk, so its now leakproof

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
You can make a hole in that plastic disc, then cut from the edge to the hole. Slide over the wire, work back on to the metal edges. Seal the wire opening with Strip Caulk, so its now leakproof
I ran my coax and speaker wires through a hole in the cap that I drilled. Then I sealed up the whole thing with coax seal.The nice thing about coax seal is that it stay pliable if you need to make changes like adding or removing wires and can be molded to any opening. No leaks.

OP
OP
ktuluorion

ktuluorion

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shopping for jl
Thanks guys. I'll put the cap back and run/seal the wires through it. Do you think it's likely that this is where a decent amount of water would get through?

SSVi

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Occupation
Extreme metal drummer/ large cat wrangler / gun modder
Fairly off topic, but does anyone know the dimensions of the hole that grommet plugs into? When I popped mine out to run wires it must have vaporized, it completely vanished. I was going to replace it with a rubber one but I dont know how large the hole actually is (It’s in the shop having a stereo put in for the next few days or I’d just pop out and go look).
Sponsored