Leak in Rhino Rack Backbone front pads

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Before I start investigating, anyone else develop leaks in the first set of pads (the ones attached to roll bar) on their Backbone system?

Mine have been dry during their first two years but seem to have sprung a leak.
Sponsored

jim00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
No leaks yet, but I check the bolts every month or two and the front passenger was loose one time. Due to the design as you know, you need to release part of the rack to get to the bolts. Definitely think some other design would make this easier.

OP
OP
Oncorhynchus

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
No leaks yet, but I check the bolts every month or two and the front passenger was loose one time. Due to the design as you know, you need to release part of the rack to get to the bolts. Definitely think some other design would make this easier.
Yeah, the smart thing would have been to use some sort of captured bolt instead of bolt-and-nut so that you could loosen and tighten the pads without having to get a tool onto both sides of the hardtop.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2003 TJ X
I installed mine in January and found one of the front pads leaking by June. It didn't rain all summer and I still need to repair them now that it is raining again (I'm in Seattle area). Was going to take them off and re-apply butyl, but from this, I'll first make sure everything is still tight.
Sponsored