Sponsored

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Normally Jay publishes them monthly. Not sure if there wasn't one for July or if he wasn't able to get it.
Thanks. I will wait a bit and see if there is one for August.
Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

I seem to recall someone posting that it would be close to $4k cost if buying all parts from Jeep to retrofit a skytouch to a Wrangler with the hardtop.
On a retrofit, absolutely you are correct on that price. I thought the other poster was talking about repairing a torn cloth and/or other existing top damage.

chaynech1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I wish FCA did a little more listening. I was originally wanting diesel, however, after much reading, thinking about lifts, gearing, DEF tank, exhausts, and other options...I opted out of that choice.
I looking into aftermarket upgrades for the 3.6L and thought that would be a great option. Now the 3.6L is not available with 8-speed auto WITHOUT eTorque. I really don't want the eTorque. Engine upgrades (Magnuson/Ripp)are a "no go."

I haven't ordered yet. Just waiting to see where my best options are...Broncho vs Jeep.
Honestly someone will build an etorque delete kit or superchargers will be built with it in mind. It's pretty new on the V6 and will take time for development and release.

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Honestly someone will build an etorque delete kit or superchargers will be built with it in mind. It's pretty new on the V6 and will take time for development and release.
I looked everywhere and didn't see any supercharger kit for the 3.6. Keep in mind this has been on the Dodge Ram for some time now and there's still no kit for the Ram.

I would not buy the 3.6 if your hope is that there will be a supercharger kit...or a "delete" for the eTorque. The entire car functions from the eTorque. eTorque in itself (as I have educated myself and now that I understand the system) doesn't really concern me.

Instead of your classic alternator you now have a generator. It's quite smart actually. If your miffed about the 48v...well, that's a different topic. lol

R

Last edited:

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I looked everywhere and didn't see any supercharger kit for the 3.6. Keep in mind this has been on the Dodge Ram for some time now and there's still not kit for the Ram.

I would not buy the 3.6 if you hope is that there will be a supercharger kit...or a "delete" for the eTorque. The entire car functions from the eTorque. eTorque in itself (as I have educated myself and now that I understand the system) doesn't really concern me.

Instead of your classic alternator you now have a generator. It's quite smart actually. If your miffed about the 48v...well, that's a different topic. lol

R
Latley I feel you and I are the only proponents of the system. Lol.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Latley I feel you and I are the only proponents of the system. Lol.
It puzzles me why everyone is so against the 48v eTorque (I was too until I learned about it), but is ALL for the ESS 12v x2 system. I guess ALL for the ESS is a bit of mis-conception or so, because people probably don't want either.

I just feel like eTorque is the proper way to implement the tech and from what I've read they did a great job.

R

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I think you’re correct in that most people don’t want either. I think with the E torque system, many Jeepers don’t want any part of a electrical “hybrid” system. I for one am one of those people....If someone wants an electric Jeep, it’s my understanding they’re coming out with one. Don’t take the original gas engine and start slowly making it into half gas and half electrical hybrid.

My 2 cts

We clearly know that there was a problem with the ESS system.... I personally don’t care if the new E torque system makes it smoother or more seamless, I don’t need my engine turning off and turning back on and every stop...And the reported potential gas savings is not even close to being worth the problems the poorly thought out and problematic system it seems to be.... I’d also rather not have the added wear and tear on the engine being constantly restarted, and I will gladly pay the extra five dollars a month that I could save in gas and forgo the “savings”...

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think you’re correct in that most people don’t want either. I think with the E torque system, many Jeepers don’t want any part of a electrical “hybrid” system. I for one am one of those people....If someone wants an electric Jeep, it’s my understanding they’re coming out with one. Don’t take the original gas engine and start slowly making it into half gas and half electrical hybrid.

My 2 cts

We clearly know that there was a problem with the ESS system.... I personally don’t care if the new E torque system makes it smoother or more seamless, I don’t need my engine turning off and turning back on and every stop...And the reported potential gas savings is not even close to being worth the problems the poorly thought out and problematic system it seems to be.... I’d also rather not have the added wear and tear on the engine being constantly restarted, and I will gladly pay the extra five dollars a month that I could save in gas and forgo the “savings”...
For sure. I totally agree with you. I'm just of the opinion that the eTorque seems to be the best option at the moment.

I for one, tried to get the regular V6 w/ESS, but I'm glad I didn't after reading about it. But if there was an option to get a V6 without ESS or eTorque I would definitely have got that.

R

Sponsored

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
With the added option of the 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS (DHF) for the 2021 Rubicon, it addresses the only thing I wish my 2020 Rubicon had. Do any of you think it is possible to swap out the part time system in my 2020 with a full time when available from someone removing, or ordered direct from FCA? I could never justify taking the bath on trading in my 2020, and I have put a lot of effortand into it getting it handling solid.

Thoughts?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With the added option of the 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS (DHF) for the 2021 Rubicon, it addresses the only thing I wish my 2020 Rubicon had. Do any of you think it is possible to swap out the part time system in my 2020 with a full time when available from someone removing, or ordered direct from FCA? I could never justify taking the bath on trading in my 2020, and I have put a lot of effortand into it getting it handling solid.

Thoughts?
What confuses me is we have in here a bunch of Jeepers who say the Rubicon doesn't need anything and it handles perfectly fine and those that complain have defective Jeeps, but on the other hand we have someone like yourself saying you've "put a lot of effort into getting it to handle solid".

So, what have you had to do to get it to this point? I know it's off-topic, but I'm kinda interested. There's many on here who say Jeep needs nothing, and anything done to it would sacrifice it's off-road chops. I don't own one yet (as I have it on order), but I just want an honest opinion on what needs/can be done to the Wrangler.

And to say the Jeep just isn't for you if you don't want the dead-spot or the wandering steering. "That's a Jeep". What I want to know is, is it fixable (sounds like you have), and what did you do? In my 30 minute test drive of my friends Jeep, I noticed hers wandering, and there was a bit of a gust and I was on the other side of the road...granted, I had just stepped out of a 1 hr drive in my GT350 (which is literally like it's on rails), but still I've never experienced any car/truck do this.

Funny thing is, even AFTER that test drive, I still loved the Jeep, and I still have placed an order. So this isn't a "I hate Jeep" post, I'm just curious what you've managed to do with the handling. Not steering so much because it's radius is almost like a tank (my old RR full size was the same, probably not as good radius but close)....anyway..

thadius65

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, , 2019 Honda Pilot Elite, 2014 BMW 535i Xdrive
What confuses me is we have in here a bunch of Jeepers who say the Rubicon doesn't need anything and it handles perfectly fine and those that complain have defective Jeeps, but on the other hand we have someone like yourself saying you've "put a lot of effort into getting it to handle solid".

So, what have you had to do to get it to this point? I know it's off-topic, but I'm kinda interested. There's many on here who say Jeep needs nothing, and anything done to it would sacrifice it's off-road chops. I don't own one yet (as I have it on order), but I just want an honest opinion on what needs/can be done to the Wrangler.

And to say the Jeep just isn't for you if you don't want the dead-spot or the wandering steering. "That's a Jeep". What I want to know is, is it fixable (sounds like you have), and what did you do? In my 30 minute test drive of my friends Jeep, I noticed hers wandering, and there was a bit of a gust and I was on the other side of the road...granted, I had just stepped out of a 1 hr drive in my GT350 (which is literally like it's on rails), but still I've never experienced any car/truck do this.

Funny thing is, even AFTER that test drive, I still loved the Jeep, and I still have placed an order. So this isn't a "I hate Jeep" post, I'm just curious what you've managed to do with the handling. Not steering so much because it's radius is almost like a tank (my old RR full size was the same, probably not as good radius but close)....anyway..
Head on over to the Loose steering threads. There are some good reads on issues and successful and failed corrections. I absolutely love my Jeep, but the steering had 2"-3" of play in it and made it white knuckle driving. All good now. Check out the other thread and just make sure to give your new Jeep a good test drive on highway, back roads, etc. Other than that, amazing vehicle!

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Head on over to the Loose steering threads. There are some good reads on issues and successful and failed corrections. I absolutely love my Jeep, but the steering had 2"-3" of play in it and made it white knuckle driving. All good now. Check out the other thread and just make sure to give your new Jeep a good test drive on highway, back roads, etc. Other than that, amazing vehicle!
Oh ya, btw, my order has the 4:1 FULL TIME ROCK-TRAC system. I personally think it's an excellent addition to the Rubicon. Great for winter weather probably not needed in the Southern US though.

I'm sure it would be useful to you where you're located.

R

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The vast majority of them have normal steering. For some, once you start messing with steering/suspension components you can set off an interconnected maze of incompatibility.

The Rubicon is fine for 90% of what people do. If you want to drive up a shear rock cliff it might need a little tweaking. BTW, the 2 door has what seems like a 5' turning radius. The 4 door about 200'.
Sponsored