No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Could the option of Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD potentially impact any mods you wanna do? Like lift kit or anything, like do you have to get a mod that's compatible?
Great Question. And the answer is absolutely yes. It will definitely be limited on the amount of lift keeping the front driveshaft angles without vibrating and also keeping enough positive caster. Spinning the relatively short front driveshaft all the time at highway speeds is more complicated , but not impossible.
Sponsored

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Great Question. And the answer is absolutely yes. It will definitely be limited on the amount of lift keeping the front driveshaft angles without vibrating and also keeping enough positive caster. Spinning the relatively short front driveshaft all the time at highway speeds is more complicated , but not impossible.
You got me thinking now if it's worth getting that option or not. I need to make a decision so I can place my order lol. Wonder how other regions that have had this options has done lifts or any other mods. Not sure if the current after market in US for lifts or whatnot be applicable to this or have to wait for the updated versions.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Bronco has 35...pretty sure it has CV joints...but I'm no mechanic and not too knowledgeable ...as you know my order has the FULL TIME as I feel it's usefulness and resale will far outweigh it's downsides...but everyone builds their own :)

Last edited:

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
In the XJ and in the old jeeps with 242 tc when you would order the full-time four-wheel-drive you would get the one piece front axle if you would order the part time four-wheel-drive you would get the two piece front axle with the ADD set up.
Could the option of Rock-Trac HD Full Time 4WD potentially impact any mods you wanna do? Like lift kit or anything, like do you have to get a mod that's compatible?
Any lift you do is going to have an impact on your Jeep, standard transfer case or the full time. They will both have the same short drive shafts (w/ possibly a CV/Caridgan joint on the FT) that you might have to deal with depending on your lift. The factory driveshafts are crap anyway, I replaced both of mine when I did my lift at 20K miles.

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Any lift you do is going to have an impact on your Jeep, standard transfer case or the full time. They will both have the same short drive shafts (w/ possibly a CV/Caridgan joint on the FT) that you might have to deal with depending on your lift. The factory driveshafts are crap anyway, I replaced both of mine when I did my lift at 20K miles.
So I heard. I guess the question is that if the full time has CV like EU version, if you do a lift such as mopar one, would that lift kit be different than what is out there today? Maybe additional part or anything else you may need? I have seen comments regarding changing some other parts with the lift.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Well in basic terms yes any lift you do will impact any vehicle.
The reason that the XJ has a different front axles for different transfer case. proves my point that a full-time four-wheel-drive and a part-time four-wheel-drive are different. Spinning a front driveshaft at highway speed's like I said it can be done but it's more complicated and more expensive which is why Jeep did it that way.

Full-time four-wheel-drive inherently is designed differently then just taking a part-time four-wheel-drive kicking in high range and ripping down the freeway.

Since there was straight axle trucks keeping enough caster while keeping the driveshaft from vibrating in the front has been a problem since the beginning. This is where the cut and rotate the front housing came from.

When lifting these full-time four-wheel-drive's. you're going to see that you'll have to decrease the caster to get the driveshaft to work or you'll have to put up with the driveshaft vibrating to get it to steer correctly or do a cut and rotation. Period. its not a Jeep thing its basic Geometry.

Last edited:

chellymarie75

First Name
Shelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willy's
I just ordered a 2021 Willy’s...my first Wrangler!! Wondering if anyone could answer this for me...
I added the Trailer and Tow package. It’s coming up with the 3.6 V6 etorque. I didn’t want that, but is it required because I added the tow package?

mjaga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting Grey
I just ordered a 2021 Willy’s...my first Wrangler!! Wondering if anyone could answer this for me...
I added the Trailer and Tow package. It’s coming up with the 3.6 V6 etorque. I didn’t want that, but is it required because I added the tow package?
I ordered a 2.0 I4 and was able to get the tow package.

If you're asking about the eTorque, for 2021 FCA has made all 3.6's require the eTorque.

RDiddy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 manual Sahara
I ordered a 2.0 I4 and was able to get the tow package.

If you're asking about the eTorque, for 2021 FCA has made all 3.6's require the eTorque.
So no more manual trans?

Sponsored

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
I’m NO mechanic, but why is that the case ? Manual no eTorque but Auto it’s mandatory ??

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m NO mechanic, but why is that the case ? Manual no eTorque but Auto it’s mandatory ??
Because the engineers and accountants got together in a meeting and discussed how can they mess with the customers this year and that is the result.

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
UNBELIEVABLE....

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Because the engineers and accountants got together in a meeting and discussed how can they mess with the customers this year and that is the result.
Lol, Mike. I like your honesty and see FCA for what it is. There's people who like Jeeps for what they are, what they represent and what their capable of, and there's those who are just pure cult fans. If you've seen my posts in the "392" thread (jez, another concept), I'm on the fence now about my Rubi order and waiting for more info on this Bronco. I just feel like FCA is forcing me into things I initially didn't even want.

- eTorque
- color choices (there really isn't any for 2021, red/yellow or 5 shades of gray -- not cool. but I've grown to love my yellow choice)
- the manual, some may roast me for saying this, but I love manual but after driving my buddies wrangler with the manual, there's much to be desired. The clutch feels wrong and the gearbox isn't the best.

I have the Golf R, same kinda disconnected feeling with it's manual gearbox and clutch. Better than the JLU but still disconnected. GT350R gearbox and clutch (I replaced the clutch spring in my GT350 cause the engineers decided to have a dual rate spring was better...it's really, really not...not terrible it just feels so weird)...but now that the stock spring is out, that car and it's gearbox is how manuals should be.

Obviously, we can't compare a GT350 to a Wrangler lol, I'm not saying that, but what I am saying is they could put some work into clutch feel and tighten up the gearbox.

Anyway, Bronco's V6 2.7L you can't get manual (disappointed in that), if you want manual in a bronco, gotta get the I4 2.3L....so all these manufactures limit what they offer (for their own reasons) but I'm seeing Ford coming to the table with a lot of "features" as standard base model stuff....and colors, many colors to choose.

Prolly went way off topic here...sorry guys. lol

R
Sponsored