Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I know no one knows yet because all we have is the order guide but do you think the full time 4WD can be turned off? Can we switch to 2WD, or part-time 4WD (like Rubicon is now)? The member from Europe sounded like the Select-Trac they have can't be turned off...
The Rubi would still be 2WD default. You'd have to shift it into FT4WD, but you could just leave it there, or shift into 4WD Hi, or 4WD Lo. It is an easy shift-on-the-fly operation to go from 2 to FT4 and back.
Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
The Rubi would still be 2WD default. You'd have to shift it into FT4WD, but you could just leave it there, or shift into 4WD Hi, or 4WD Lo. It is an easy shift-on-the-fly operation to go from 2 to FT4 and back.
I guess a better question would be, other than paying a little more cash, is there a reason not to get the full time 4WD? Is there a downside?

r

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
I guess a better question would be, other than paying a little more cash, is there a reason not to get the full time 4WD? Is there a downside?

r
CV joints, which the full-time 4wd system uses, are considered more failure-prone for serious off-roading. I think the boots can be torn to allow dirt inside, but I’ve already said more than I can back up with any actual knowledge.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CV joints, which the full-time 4wd system uses, are considered more failure-prone for serious off-roading. I think the boots can be torn to allow dirt inside, but I’ve already said more than I can back up with any actual knowledge.
Don’t all cars have cv joints though? What’s on the Rubicon instead?

r

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass

r
That is the main drawback: c/v joints are not as durable/HD as universal joints. For the majority of Rubi buyers (I know I'm continuing a shit storm with that statement) c/vs are adequate, and hard core crawlers can probably do a ujoint swap, or just skip the FT4WD altogether. That may be why the manual and diesel are FT4WD exempt. Or incompatibility issues between transfer case and tranny.
Me? I'd be ordering the 3.6 eTorque with Rock Trac HD FT4WD in a minute if I were buying now. No question. The 3.6 auto cost me $2750 last year, the 3.6 BSG with the FT4WD would be $3695. A grand well spent.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Don’t all cars have cv joints though? What’s on the Rubicon instead?

r
A universal joint is much less forgiving on dry surfaces, as it requires the inside and outside wheels to travel at the same speeds, which is impossible without slip. A c/v allows the inside and outside wheels to travel at different speeds, which is preferable on paved, and especially dry paved surfaces.
The universal joint is preferable off-road for 2 main reasons: no boot to contain the lube so nothing to tear and fail, causing joint failure; the Ujoint requires the inside wheel to continue to fight for grip by forcing it to keep up with the outside wheel while also providing a simpler, self-contained mechanism.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, very interesting. You’ve got me curious now, I’m gonna read up on this stuff. CV joints were failing on the Range Rover before I dumped it ($2300CAD job for one side I believe)...

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Been reading about this online, but can't the CV joints be replaced with U if needed? If so, is this an expensive replacement?

D.Hess

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thinking about a JL
Occupation
Orthopaedic Hand & Upper Extremity Surgeon
Just heard back from my dealer today and he confirmed that diesels are NOT open for ordering yet.
Same here...I went to dealer this AM and can't order diesels right now. He had no info on when diesel orders would open either.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have a custom order JLURD arriving next week. If 2021 would offer the full time 4wd I might be willing to wait a couple more months. I prefer the diesel if I can’t have both though. Thanks for confirming my interpretation!
You couldn’t get full-time 4wd with the diesel on a 2020 Sahara.

I don’t think that will change for 2021 because it would require a different transfer case (MP3023) than the full time case JL currently uses (MP3022)

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the biggest downside to the full time transfer case is that it uses clutch packs
lol, please explain this clutch pack. if full time uses clutch packs what does part time use? what i'm getting at is instead of clutch pack failing what fails in a part time...how often do clutch packs fail?

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
lol, please explain this clutch pack. if full time uses clutch packs what does part time use? what i'm getting at is instead of clutch pack failing what fails in a part time...how often do clutch packs fail?
The part-time case is chain driven.

With hard or extensive use, the clutch packs can overheat, leaving you in 2WD until they cool down.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
so to be clear, there is no way they can full time 4WD with u-joints? I've been reading up on this, seems like both are of similar strengths, CV's can handle a greater angle (such as turning on pavement where there's no slip you wont hear a crunching noise (ie the u-joint binding).

So I guess there's no way to have full time without the CV because of what I mentioned above? What if Jeep put a double u-joint in the Rubicon model so we didn't have to have the CV boots...is this a possibility? Or does everyone thing because the Sahara Select-Trac uses CV joints (I assume that's the case....), that's that what Jeep will use with FULL TIME on the Rubicon....?

Rob
Sponsored