Sponsored

Largest tires I can put on my stock Rubicon wheels?

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Jeep Wrangler JL Largest tires I can put on my stock Rubicon wheels? C90E866E-A3EB-4F74-9A94-0A88A51F8C8D

There’s absolutely no issue with running 35x12.5 (315 r70 17). I off-road and overland pretty heavily with a lot of gear in the back with no rub or issues.
What brand tire? This is what I would like to do, eventually maybe have a 2" lift, but not right away. Need to make sure off-roading their is no rubbing. Guess a Rubicon has enough clearance.

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I've built 36 Jeeps over the years and I just cringe at some of the recommendations people make here.

1st of all, a stock Wrangler rim is too narrow for 35x12.50X17 tires. Even if you try it, you are going to need wheel spacers as there isn't enough backspace on stock rims.

2nd if you have stock gearing (on a JL it's 3.45) you will have all kinds of issues if you don't re-rear to 4.56/4.88. Among the obvious of poor gas mileage and your speedo will be way off, you are going to be putting undue stress on your entire driveline. Expect early failure of bearings, u-joints and more. Using it off road will hasten failures. Of course if you only want to have a cool looking mall crawler you can get by with the stock gears.

3rd if you are going to air down, expect to get sidewall damage or even popping a bear depending on terrain and how low you air down.

Stock rims are fine with stock tires, that is what they are designed for but even the Rubicons with the 33" stock tires have a wider rim, still not wide enough (I like 9" wide rims with 35x12.50 tires or bigger).

I've seen too many trail failures on Jeeps that have too big a tire on too small a rim.

Finally, if you don't have the money to do it right, save up until you do. Your Jeep will be much happier and trouble free.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Good lord this was put to bed years ago

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
A safer tire might be B F Goodrich 285/75-17, they are rated for 7.5 to 9.5" rims have a sectional width of 11.3" and are 33.9" diameter plus they weigh 61 lbs. Not quite a 35/12.5 but close and will fit the rim.

Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Stock rims are fine with stock tires, that is what they are designed for but even the Rubicons with the 33" stock tires have a wider rim
JL Rubicon and JL Sport rims are the same width. I always thought they were at their limit for the Rubicon tires and should have provided wider rims.

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
Good to know guys, thanks!. I would like to run a 35" tire to separate me from the "Street jeeps", but over the past 2 years I have gone many places, the Rubicon performs just fine stock. I know if I get into bigger tires, I would have to do a lift, and new rims at the same time. Its just a high WAF to get past right now. :) Maybe after she gets her Lincoln she always dreams about. I'll be taking up a collection. :)

R3D J33P

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Firecracker Red
So the Toyo Open Country AT III comes in a 35x11.5 R17

That should fit.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Good to know guys, thanks!. I would like to run a 35" tire to separate me from the "Street jeeps"
I think the JL looks the best on 35s, and a commensurate lift so the tires aren't crowding the fenders.

I still have the minivan tires and I've done Colorado trails with them. I would like to have a little more tire for out in the desert, partly for bigger footprint and better tread pattern and partly for a tougher tire construction. I just bought a set of BFG takeoffs to go on my Sport S silver wheels, and Rubicon suspension for when I get time to install it.

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
Running 37s myself and wheel regularly at 11psi on stock rims. No issues for many many months and many many trails.
You are very lucky.

TheLodgeOne

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
What brand tire? This is what I would like to do, eventually maybe have a 2" lift, but not right away. Need to make sure off-roading their is no rubbing. Guess a Rubicon has enough clearance.
I run the milestar Patagonias. Absolutely no complaint. I’ve actually recently thrown on new (method 701) and due to them being an inch wider, they actually rub on the outer lip of the fenders. I honestly thing the stock rims with 35s is ideal for a rubicon. Yeah people say it’s a little out of spec, but just run your tires at a slightly lower PSI and you’ll be good. I ran mine at 37 on the road and had no issues airing down to 12-15 when needed.

JL2021guy

First Name
JL2021guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 3.6
Occupation
Jeep fun
315/70/17 Patagonias. No lift or spacers at first. Had no rubbing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest tires I can put on my stock Rubicon wheels? C90E866E-A3EB-4F74-9A94-0A88A51F8C8D

Can you send a front shot to see how tire looks with fender please
Sponsored