Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Came here to ask about this exact thing. Read a ton of pages but nobody seemed to be talking about max size that won't rub when really pushing off road. I was set on 275/70/18.

Thinking that the plan should be to go with those tires and then if it rubs with the "wildest" shit I do, maybe lift it 1-2".

How much did it rub in the back when you were compressed at that level of articulation? Trying to figure out if I can get away with some slight rubbing worst case, or if I'm in danger of breaking something, and should lift it prior to offroading.

Thanks in advance for your time.
I'm running 285/75R18 (35.1" x 11.2") on stock rims. But with a 2" lift. After putting a washer behind the steering-stop bolt, no rubbing whatsoever.

07A79346-BFFC-4F5D-8307-81B2E883D15A.jpeg

31DFAF11-FF4D-458F-B2C4-2B55553807A1.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Came here to ask about this exact thing. Read a ton of pages but nobody seemed to be talking about max size that won't rub when really pushing off road. I was set on 275/70/18.

Thinking that the plan should be to go with those tires and then if it rubs with the "wildest" shit I do, maybe lift it 1-2".

How much did it rub in the back when you were compressed at that level of articulation? Trying to figure out if I can get away with some slight rubbing worst case, or if I'm in danger of breaking something, and should lift it prior to offroading.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Not very much. To the point that I almost forget about it.

If you get a 1-leveling kit, you shouldn’t get any rubbing at all.

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
Not very much. To the point that I almost forget about it.

If you get a 1-leveling kit, you shouldn’t get any rubbing at all.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah if I'm going through the trouble of leveling (I would have a shop do it / I'm lazy), then I might as well just go full 1.5" lift kit, or even slightly more and go to 34". Idk. It'll be a while before I am there anyway. Good to know I'll mostly be safe when I go that size.

Birdman

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't catch this thread was for stock wheels but regardless everything came out well and no rubbing.

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift 55594FC8-11F1-4DA0-BF86-A2D81CB4D1CB
are you sahara fenders black plastic like the sport? Im trying to find sahara non painted flares to add to my sport

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm having a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires installed on my stock Sport Altitude wheels tomorrow morning. I'm going with 275/70R-18 size. I was debating between the Coopers and BFG KO2s. My local installer came back with a much better price on the Coopers and said they have been outselling the KO2s.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just got back from having them installed. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT size LT275/70R-18. I'll be switching to black Gorilla lugs later.

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift IMG_0305

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift IMG_0306
Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift IMG_0307

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift IMG_0308

Sponsored

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
Just got back from having them installed. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT size LT275/70R-18. I'll be switching to black Gorilla lugs later.

I like the way those look. How's the road noise?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018
That’s what I did would have liked a little wider tire. I blacked out the stock 18” rims and did a 3.5” teraflex lift worked out well.

How did you blacked out your OEM wheels?

TJM007

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I am new to Jeeps. I am buying a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara. Bought it online and it will ship to me sometime next week. This is the only picture I have of it right now before it comes in sometime next week. It has some street tires on it. I’m not necessarily attached to those stock rims. But don’t really know what I should do. I do want some AT tires. Really like the BFG KO2’s. So I’d like to get those. I do not want a lift or spacers. 95% of my driving will be on the highway. But just want a more aggressive look and for it to sit up a little higher. Preferably BFG KO2’s. I have read through all of this forum. I’m seeing where people have talked about load ratings on tires. Which I was knew nothing about. I’m also wanting to keep a smooth ride. Or as smooth as possible. So I think from what people have said on this forum it should be a C load tire. I guess what I’m asking is do I buy a OEM jeep 17 inch rim and then buy BFG KO2’s? Since that tire doesn’t have anything but E load rating in 18 inch rims. Or do I just get the E rating BFG KO2’s on my stock 18 rims in this picture? I was thinking about going to get some blacked out OEM Jeep17 inch rims if I go with that option.

Just curious what everyone thinks about think. If you have any input on either of my options thank you in advance.

16C3E585-0ED1-469C-8C66-6AD2F3C6CFB7.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I am new to Jeeps. I am buying a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara. Bought it online and it will ship to me sometime next week. This is the only picture I have of it right now before it comes in sometime next week. It has some street tires on it. I’m not necessarily attached to those stock rims. But don’t really know what I should do. I do want some AT tires. Really like the BFG KO2’s. So I’d like to get those. I do not want a lift or spacers. 95% of my driving will be on the highway. But just want a more aggressive look and for it to sit up a little higher. Preferably BFG KO2’s. I have read through all of this forum. I’m seeing where people have talked about load ratings on tires. Which I was knew nothing about. I’m also wanting to keep a smooth ride. Or as smooth as possible. So I think from what people have said on this forum it should be a C load tire. I guess what I’m asking is do I buy a OEM jeep 17 inch rim and then buy BFG KO2’s? Since that tire doesn’t have anything but E load rating in 18 inch rims. Or do I just get the E rating BFG KO2’s on my stock 18 rims in this picture? I was thinking about going to get some blacked out OEM Jeep17 inch rims if I go with that option.

Just curious what everyone thinks about think. If you have any input on either of my options thank you in advance.

Jeep Wrangler JL Largest Tire on JLU Sahara - Stock Rims & no lift 16C3E585-0ED1-469C-8C66-6AD2F3C6CFB7
Those are the optional All Terrains. Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure With Kevlar. They're not all that bad off road even thought they don't look like an aggressive tread pattern.

If the KO2 look is what you want then I would suggest finding a set of Rubicon Take-offs. They fit just fine on the Sahara and give it a good look.
Sponsored