CosTheKing

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
@Gnat and @CosTheKing

Do you like those Falken tires? Any idea how they compare to the KO2's? Also, how much has the ride and volume changed with the switch?
Falken tires are great. These are LT 275/70 18. E rated, so they are a bit stiff compared to passenger rated tires. Didn’t notice any difference in road noise level compared to stock.
Compared to KO2’s... biggest difference $$$ and the KO2 does comes available in a C load which would make it a little softer and lighter than an E rated tire.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
Falken tires are great. These are LT 275/70 18. E rated, so they are a bit stiff compared to passenger rated tires. Didn’t notice any difference in road noise level compared to stock.
Compared to KO2’s... biggest difference $$$ and the KO2 does comes available in a C load which would make it a little softer and lighter than an E rated tire.
So after reading up on load ratings, what is your reason for wanting the E vs the C tires? What is your primary application that makes that the better tire? What pressure are you running them at?

CosTheKing

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So after reading up on load ratings, what is your reason for wanting the E vs the C tires? What is your primary application that makes that the better tire? What pressure are you running them at?[/QUO

CosTheKing

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Wasn’t necessarily looking for an E load tire. Falken doesn’t make this specific model and size in C load. Mostly daily driving. Running them at 37psi

Atomic Anvil

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicanvil.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport
Occupation
Technology Consultant & Professional Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
KMC XD Monster 2's with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75R17's. Absolutely no rub, C-rated rubber, and with the pressure down to 35 they ride just like the stock wheels.

Driver's-34.jpg

Front.jpg

Left-Side.jpg

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KMC XD Monster 2's with Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75R17's. Absolutely no rub, C-rated rubber, and with the pressure down to 35 they ride just like the stock wheels.
Looks great. Did you already have the wheels or what made you go down to 17's?

Atomic Anvil

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicanvil.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Sport
Occupation
Technology Consultant & Professional Photographer
Vehicle Showcase
Looks great. Did you already have the wheels or what made you go down to 17's?
Thanks. I went down to the 17's because of a few factors. Definite price difference in the wheels, better tire availability in C-rated rubber, and additional air-down rubber contact when I take it offroad.

While this is my first Jeep, and I originally wanted to keep an 18" wheel, I was informed by multiple individuals that "It's a Jeep...small wheels and big tires!" I know it's a minor difference, but the cost difference alone was almost $500 lower than 18's, and the Ridge Grapplers didn't offer a C-rated for the 18" wheel.

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I went down to the 17's because of a few factors. Definite price difference in the wheels, better tire availability in C-rated rubber, and additional air-down rubber contact when I take it offroad.

While this is my first Jeep, and I originally wanted to keep an 18" wheel, I was informed by multiple individuals that "It's a Jeep...small wheels and big tires!" I know it's a minor difference, but the cost difference alone was almost $500 lower than 18's, and the Ridge Grapplers didn't offer a C-rated for the 18" wheel.
Perfect. That’s exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
It’s pretty common to drop down to 17s / the tire selection in this range tends to be better. As does the wheel selection, somewhat depending on your taste.

BGJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2020 JLUR
Looking for some advice. Same situation as the OP. JLUS on order and looking for feedback on best tire options for stock wheel and no lift. Mine is coming with the Bridgestone Duelers, which I haven’t seen in person. In pictures, they appear a little pedestrian. I am wanting a tire with a “meatier” look.

Am I off base on the Duelers? What is the tire/size you guys recommend? Another option is to live with the stock tires for a while and then upgrade the wheels and tires. One advantage to doing it now is a local shop giving me 50% trade credit on Duelers.

Thanks for your feedback.

Sponsored

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Looking for some advice. Same situation as the OP. JLUS on order and looking for feedback on best tire options for stock wheel and no lift. Mine is coming with the Bridgestone Duelers, which I haven’t seen in person. In pictures, they appear a little pedestrian. I am wanting a tire with a “meatier” look.

Am I off base on the Duelers? What is the tire/size you guys recommend? Another option is to live with the stock tires for a while and then upgrade the wheels and tires. One advantage to doing it now is a local shop giving me 50% trade credit on Duelers.

Thanks for your feedback.
I’m by no means the expert around here - but here’s what I’ve picked up in my research.

I think you’re spot on with the Duelers :)

285/75 metric size is about a 34” tire is the recommended size many people are going with. 33s (or 270/70) will also fit of course and are a slightly more common size. I’m not 100% sure about the 285/75 size with stock wheels - don’t know whether spacers are needed or not.

As for which tire, I’m less familiar with tires available in the above sizes for 18” wheels but if you’re looking for an aggressive looking but well behaved on-road tire, a few options to check out are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, the BFG KO2, the Goodyear DuraTrac, or the Nitto Ridge Grappler (in no specific order).

The above will all be a bit of a “hybrid” between what comes on a Sahara and the super aggressive mud terrains you see (and hear!) from time to time.

The above options aren’t the full list - and they might be more or less aggressive than what you’re looking for... they’re a decent start, though!

For what it’s worth, I have a JLU Sahara coming and my use is 95+% on road driving my wife, toddler, and newborn around and commuting to work. On my last Jeep (2014 JKU Sahara), I ran 33” DuraTracs. This time around, I’ve opted for 35” Ridge Grapplers. I’ll start with no lift and then plan to add a small spacer lift to help me with that tiny percentage of light off-roading that I *may* do with my son.

BGJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2020 JLUR
I’m by no means the expert around here - but here’s what I’ve picked up in my research.

I think you’re spot on with the Duelers :)

285/75 metric size is about a 34” tire is the recommended size many people are going with. 33s (or 270/70) will also fit of course and are a slightly more common size. I’m not 100% sure about the 285/75 size with stock wheels - don’t know whether spacers are needed or not.

As for which tire, I’m less familiar with tires available in the above sizes for 18” wheels but if you’re looking for an aggressive looking but well behaved on-road tire, a few options to check out are the Falken Wildpeak AT3W, the BFG KO2, the Goodyear DuraTrac, or the Nitto Ridge Grappler (in no specific order).

The above will all be a bit of a “hybrid” between what comes on a Sahara and the super aggressive mud terrains you see (and hear!) from time to time.

The above options aren’t the full list - and they might be more or less aggressive than what you’re looking for... they’re a decent start, though!

For what it’s worth, I have a JLU Sahara coming and my use is 95+% on road driving my wife, toddler, and newborn around and commuting to work. On my last Jeep (2014 JKU Sahara), I ran 33” DuraTracs. This time around, I’ve opted for 35” Ridge Grapplers. I’ll start with no lift and then plan to add a small spacer lift to help me with that tiny percentage of light off-roading that I *may* do with my son.
Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I can’t get over how helpful people are on this forum.

BGJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2020 JLUR
I’m just trying to return the favor after so many have been so helpful to me :) It really is awesome how much information there is here.
Any specific reason you are going with Nitto Grapplers vs the other 3 you listed?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Any specific reason you are going with Nitto Grapplers vs the other 3 you listed?
Great question.

DuraTracs - they were great for me, but I wanted to try something new this time around. They’re snowflake rated which means they do great in the snow. I didn’t hear any road noise at all with these. I noticed bumps a bit more I’d say, but nothing that would really deter me from them again. Some of people say these tires are old news now and that some of the options below have replaced these as the leader in this category.

KO2 - also snowflake rated. Can be had in “C load” which means a softer ride. Very practical choice for on road use! But, I’m not a big fan of the sidewall pattern. My vanity got in the way of my logic here :)

Wildpeaks - IIRC, these are also snowflake rated (confirm to be sure, if you care). Newer tire - and getting good reviews from people here so far. My vanity got in the way again, though. Nothing wrong with them, I just don’t love the sidewall pattern.

Ridge Grapplers - note, Nitto uses “Grappler” in a bunch of their tire lines - so be sure you look at which grappler (Terra, Ridge, Trail, Mud - in order from least aggressive to most). There are some other options like Dune, but I don’t remember them all. These are also newer tires, and are getting great reviews. They are not snowflake rated which is a bummer for me, though some people are indicating that they could be snowflake rated based on performance, but Nitto just didn’t go through the paperwork to get the official approval. Who knows. I went with these to try something new and because I like the aggressive looking sidewall pattern. People are loving this tire in the 285/75r17 size (34”) with no lift needed AND available in a load C, to boot! These would have been a great choice for me over the 35s in load E, but I’m illogical and vain with tires, I’m learning :) I really want to try 35s (for no logical reason - other than they look cool).

I had the opportunity to test drive the KO2s in load D (315s) and load E (35s) and could not tell a difference between the load ranges on the road. I had an opportunity to drive the Nitto RGs in 35 as well, and they seemed a bit stiffer, perhaps.

At the end of the day, I went with the RGs because they look awesome, lol. They do meet my other requirements besides the load range (E is more strength than I need, and less comfortable of a ride), and my biggest concern is how comfortable they’ll ride. If we end up thinking they’re too harsh, we’ll swap them out at Discount Tire (100% refund available within 30 days, no questions asked).

Lastly - I also considered Nitto Trail Grapplers, Cooper STT Pros, and Yokohama Geolander G003s - which are all more aggressive but supposedly not as tame on the road.
Sponsored