Larger alternator with trailer tow

Robellion

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I just sold my 2021 Sport S with the Trailer/Tow package (factory installed). It's sitting on the lot at Bengal Motors in Kingston, NY. Manual Transmission, leather seats, Alpine Stereo, Silver Billet. 3.6 engine - no etorque. I used to tow a trailer to and from my property to pick up general home improvement items. I'm sad I sold it- but wifey couldn't learn stick shift! Pic shows tube steps- not on there anymore.
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow IMG_2855
Sponsored

OP
OP

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
You may want to consider something like a Genesis dual battery kit instead of a larger alternator, depending on intended use.

@AllMoparParts.com appears to show 3 alternator options but only a single bracket P/N. Benny over there may be able to help you if you DM him.
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow IMG_2855
I've worked on a lot of battery banks and the stock setup is really a joke. Dissimilar batteries never play nice together and the first time I have a problem with the lawn mower battery that will be the end of that.
You would think the larger alt would only compliment the Genesis system and in my case there will be a third at times.
I'll have to send a message his way, I wouldn't be surprised if the harness is different too.

CJ99X

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sahara
I am confused about how to identify an etorque under the hood, not to hijack a thread looking at dual battery system as well but my Sahara has an alternator turned backwards facing the engine like this first pic not something attached to the front of the engine like the second pic. I do have the tow package as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow 2019-jeep-wrangler-JL-3-6-pentastar-vvt-v6

not like this one
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow etorque

is this what an etorque looks like under the hood of a wrangler?
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow jeep-wrangler-rubicon-v6-36l-etorque-123593225

If so then do I have a non etorque and can just set up my batteries like I had them on the JK?
Thanks and I apologize but I promise I am not hijacking just trying to sort setting up dual batteries as well.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I am confused about how to identify an etorque under the hood, not to hijack a thread looking at dual battery system as well but my Sahara has an alternator turned backwards facing the engine like this first pic not something attached to the front of the engine like the second pic. I do have the tow package as well.
Jeep Wrangler JL Larger alternator with trailer tow jeep-wrangler-rubicon-v6-36l-etorque-123593225

not like this one

is this what an etorque looks like under the hood of a wrangler?

If so then do I have a non etorque and can just set up my batteries like I had them on the JK?
Thanks and I apologize but I promise I am not hijacking just trying to sort setting up dual batteries as well.
One way to answer that without popping the hood is to look at your build sheet. Replace XXX with your VIN. https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=XXX

Sponsored

CJ99X

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sahara
One way to answer that without popping the hood is to look at your build sheet. Replace XXX with your VIN. https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=XXX
I did that and there is no mention of etorque on the build sheet it just lists

Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Altitude Package
240 Amp Alternator
700 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Aux Battery (this is what is confusing me)
8-Spd Auto 850RE Trans (Make)
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS

So can it have an alternator plus the BSG?

OP
OP

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
I did that and there is no mention of etorque on the build sheet it just lists

Cold Weather Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Altitude Package
240 Amp Alternator
700 Amp Maintenance Free Battery
Aux Battery (this is what is confusing me)
8-Spd Auto 850RE Trans (Make)
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS

So can it have an alternator plus the BSG?
No you have ESS, only the eTorque has the BSG.
You have the lawn mower battery under the regular main battery.
eTorque has the regular main battery under the hood and a 48v battery underneath the jeep near the rear seat.

CJ99X

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sahara
thanks for the reply the auxiliary battery is something new to me on build sheets and it was confusing me. Thanks for clearing it up for me. Now to move forward I now know what schematic I need to seek to look at so I can keep the BCM happy.
Sponsored