First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I bought a new JLUR and a super clean ‘06 LX within a month of each other about 2 years ago. I daily drove the JL for over a year and my wife had the LX. Last summer we took a 3k+ roadtrip in the LX. To say it exceeded all expectations is an understatement and did it in comfort. I never went back to the Rubi.

I’d love to keep the Rubi for the top-off weekend days, but I’d rather have a TJ for that.
My wife also drove an LX years ago. It was so nicely appointed, it was like driving your living room.
Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
is the LSD not still a standard part of the Willys trim? it was when i got mine.
(it was also part of my first J**p, but i replaced it with a Detroit Truetrac gear-driven limited slip that requires no special lube and will never wear out. i may eventually do the same with this; time will tell.)

i think the Willys trim is a great package; personally i didn't want the extra weight, expense and complexity of switchable lockers or front axle disconnect, and definitely did not want the 4:1 low gear Transfer Case. (i got the diesel for the range and because it is so much fun to drive; there is definitely enough torque on tap for the tire sizes i expect to use.)

as alluded to earlier, if the OP is in snow country, they might plan on adding a set of snow lights, since the Willys package includes LED head and fog lights which don't do a good job of melting the snow out of the recesses they are mounted in.

A couple of people have mentioned getting the LSD. Since I want the Full-Time 4WD option, the LSD is automatically added to the SPORT S build. However it is not showing as available on the WILLYS, which I thought uses the same 4wd system? And LSD is not available on the RUBICON, correct?

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Any reason you haven't considered a Bronco, especially since you don't plan on doing any hardcore wheeling?

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Any reason you haven't considered a Bronco, especially since you don't plan on doing any hardcore wheeling?
I am considering a Bronco but also now considering the 4xe. It may be later in the year before I make a decision. Want to wait for the 4xe and Bronco to be released so I can test drive them.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am considering a Bronco but also now considering the 4xe. It may be later in the year before I make a decision. Want to wait for the 4xe and Bronco to be released so I can test drive them.
I don’t know what your timeframe is, but I’d wait for the next 3 years if I could. In addition to 4xe and 392, Jeeps is now showing a fully electric JL. There’s upcoming Bronco. And Toyota is rumored to be prepping a new hybrid power train to be shared across all-new Tundra, Tacoma and 4-Runner, with the possibility to reviving FJ Cruiser as a 4-door.

I’ve been a Jeep owner for 25 years; Bronco does not do anything for me. But the idea of a FJ Cruiser 4-door with a hybrid powertrain intrigues me.

Reactions: ALT

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
We went with the Willys (not Willys S). I don't see our personal need for lockers - rock crawling for us will be limited, if ever. I do appreciate the LSD, and it came as part of the Willys package. I've never driven the selec-trac, so can't compare, but the command-trac + LSD took care of all the snowy travel needs I think we'll need. Since delivery in January, have had a couple solid snow/deep slush use cases, and it's been fine. We also have the 6-speed, and I don't drive like a maniac, and all has been great in crappy weather.

Reactions: ALT
OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
The more I see the Bronco's the less inclined I am to consider a purchase.
I haven't looked into it as much as I have the Wrangler, but what about the Bronco is less than desirable?

OP
OP
ALT

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
I don’t know what your timeframe is, but I’d wait for the next 3 years if I could. In addition to 4xe and 392, Jeeps is now showing a fully electric JL. There’s upcoming Bronco. And Toyota is rumored to be prepping a new hybrid power train to be shared across all-new Tundra, Tacoma and 4-Runner, with the possibility to reviving FJ Cruiser as a 4-door.

I’ve been a Jeep owner for 25 years; Bronco does not do anything for me. But the idea of a FJ Cruiser 4-door with a hybrid powertrain intrigues me.
I don't have a set time frame to purchase as I still own, and will likely continue to own, a Land Cruiser. The Wrangler is totally a WANT, not NEED purchase.

It appears we're at the cusp of wide adoption in hybrid/electric vehicles. The 4xe with tax rebates might be my best choice in 2021. Personally, I wouldn't jump into Jeep's first all electric Wrangler but a hybrid 4xe seems less risky.

A new FJ or 4Runner might be the ticket in 2023. Like most technology purchases, the longer you wait, the more you're gonna get.