Sponsored

Land Cruiser > Jeep :-O !!!

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Long time Land Cruiser enthusiast (80 + 100 Series) now considering a Jeep (shhh!). 🙃
I've taken my Land Cruisers offroad from the Blue Ridge to Moab, but hardcore wheeling days are behind me.

My attraction to the Wrangler is simply to enjoy the warm seasons (May-September) with an open canopy and a family of 5. It will also serve as a grocery getter and daily driver for the missus (we call them Mall Cruisers).

So with that brief background, I would really appreciate your advice on a 2021 Wrangler. I'm considering these 3 trims with the same options:

TRIM
Sport S
Willys +$2k MSRP over Sport S
Rubicon +$6k MSRP over Sport S

OPTIONS
Full-Time 4WD (Selec-Trac or Rock-Trac)
Advanced / Safety Group
Trailer-Tow Heavy / Heavy-Duty Electrical Group
Cold Weather Group

QUESTION 1: If 98% of driving will be pavement, 1.99% gravel, and .01% light duty off-road, should I even consider the Rubicon??? I love the concept of having solid front/rear axles with locking diffs in 2021, even though I really won't need them. But it might help me sleep better at night knowing they are there. 😁 I'm also thinking about resale value 5 years from now, so maybe the difference won't be $6k from a Sport S?

QUESTION 2: Is Rubicon's Full-Time 4WD Rock-Trac system any better on pavement or snow than the Selec-Trac offered in the other Wrangler trims?

QUESTION 3: Since I want Full-Time 4WD, these are the two engine options. Coming from the uber-reliable Land Cruiser, is one engine better than the other for reliability, maintenance cost, or quirks in general?

Jeep Wrangler JL Land Cruiser > Jeep :-O !!! 1613057308798-

QUESTION 4: Can this rear cup/coin holder be removed to create more foot space for a middle passenger?
Jeep Wrangler JL Land Cruiser > Jeep :-O !!! 1613060843535-

Any other things to consider or feedback is appreciated! Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The Willys looks great. id get that over the Sport S. the Rubi would be my top choice but i would get usage out of the lockers.

are you planning to put bigger tires on it? keep in mind the Rubi has 4.10 gears which is better for bigger tires, offroading and get up and go. worse for mpg though. that being said, i have a Sport with stock gears and run 35s and it works fine. mpg has suffered too much. i offroad it without any real issues (even without lockers).

i would say get the 2.0 if you live in Denver area. anywhere else, V6. the V6 is in a million different FCA vehicles and is well proven. not sure about the e-torque but the V6 itself is great. do a muffler delete and you get a nice exhaust sound with it.

also, id recommend the 8spd auto. its a fantastic transmission, especially if you plan to upgrade the tire size.

based on what youre saying you will do with it, i would think the Rubi would be overkill. i wish i had one but i also wheel just fine without the extras it come with; and i do moderate wheeling.

if you live in a snowy area, look into getting an LSD. you also get the Dana 44 rear end and its like $500 for both. cant beat that. i believe you can add Rock track to any trim now. i would get that if snow is a concern.

you should be able to eliminate the rear cup holders. the leather trim models dont have that, or the Rubis, cant recall which. they dont get in the way though really. i think theyre handy.

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I’d say if you want the Rubicon and like the look, then go for it. :rock: The rear cup holder can’t be completely removed. Mine came with the original coin tray thing in that picture, but I switched it out for cupholders like on the Sport models.

00 Trans Ram

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport
I got a Sport with a diesel. More torque than any of the other models, and it comes with Rubi Dana 44 axles (unsure about lockers, though).

I live in southeast Louisiana, where our largest hill is 27.5' tall (not joking - it's called Monkey Hill). I will only be going through mud or sand and towing boats. So, Rubi stuff would have been a waste.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’d say if you want the Rubicon and like the look, then go for it. :rock: The rear cup holder can’t be completely removed. Mine came with the original coin tray thing in that picture, but I switched it out for cupholders like on the Sport models.
Not to thread jack but I'd like to know more about this

Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Not to thread jack but I'd like to know more about this
On the lower trims, at least back in 2018, the floor piece was a cupholder. On the Sahara and Rubicon it was that coin tray, that doesn't really offer anything important. I bought the cupholder piece online and switched it out for the cupholder.

Reactions: ALT

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Long time Land Cruiser enthusiast (80 + 100 Series) now considering a Jeep (shhh!). 🙃
I've taken my Land Cruisers offroad from the Blue Ridge to Moab, but hardcore wheeling days are behind me.

My attraction to the Wrangler is simply to enjoy the warm seasons (May-September) with an open canopy and a family of 5. It will also serve as a grocery getter and daily driver for the missus (we call them Mall Cruisers).

So with that brief background, I would really appreciate your advice on a 2021 Wrangler. I'm considering these 3 trims with the same options:

TRIM
Sport S

OPTIONS
Advanced / Safety Group
Cold Weather Group

QUESTION 1: If 98% of driving will be pavement, 1.99% gravel, and .01% light duty off-road, should I even consider the Rubicon??? I love the concept of having solid front/rear axles with locking diffs in 2021, even though I really won't need them. But it might help me sleep better at night knowing they are there. 😁 I'm also thinking about resale value 5 years from now, so maybe the difference won't be $6k from a Sport S?

QUESTION 2: Is Rubicon's Full-Time 4WD Rock-Trac system any better on pavement or snow than the Selec-Trac offered in the other Wrangler trims?

QUESTION 3: Since I want Full-Time 4WD, these are the two engine options. Coming from the uber-reliable Land Cruiser, is one engine better than the other for reliability, maintenance cost, or quirks in general?

QUESTION 4: Can this rear cup holder? be removed to create more foot space for a middle passenger?

I always default to the Rubicon based on the theory I would rather have it and not need it versus I don't have it, but sure wish I had it right now. Resell value is one aspect. Please look at the Wrangler Deals website and you may be able to save so much that the decision is far easier and cheaper. I went with the 3.6 V6 (non-eTorque) as I got the 6-speed manual, but the 8-speed automatic is an excellent tranny too. The Rubicon has cupholders in that location if you get cloth and my kids like having them versus holding their drinks. The leather only has them in the pull down middle thing and that eliminate leather for me.

Good luck with your decision.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
On the lower trims, at least back in 2018, the floor piece was a cupholder. On the Sahara and Rubicon it was that coin tray, that doesn't really offer anything important. I bought the cupholder piece online and switched it out for the cupholder.
Only a coin tray on Rubicons with leather. Cloth got the cup holders.

VWE

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 JLUR, ‘06 LX 100-series
I bought a new JLUR and a super clean ‘06 LX within a month of each other about 2 years ago. I daily drove the JL for over a year and my wife had the LX. Last summer we took a 3k+ roadtrip in the LX. To say it exceeded all expectations is an understatement and did it in comfort. I never went back to the Rubi.

I’d love to keep the Rubi for the top-off weekend days, but I’d rather have a TJ for that.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I’d aavoid the Rubicon, you’re paying for a lot of extra capability way beyond what you’ll ever need given your use. A stock dead base Jeep with decent tires and limited slip is far more capable than 99% of the drivers out there (self included😏). My Sport S ( and previous TJ) will go anywhere I ever wanted to go, through mud, snow,etc. and have never left me stuck. I run decent rubber and have a winch but have seldom ever needed it (I consider it the same as a spare tire, don’t need it 99+% of the time, but when you do need it you need it Badly)

Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
With the availability of the Willys i see little purpose to a Sport S. The Willys looks so much nicer / more aggressive over a pale looking Sport S (stock vs stock).

I have similar driving criteria as you and debated a lot on getting a Rubicon or not (no Willys at the time i bought it) but decided for the Rubicon simply because i loved the rugged looks and to get a Sport S or Sahara and modify it aesthetically to look like a Rubicon (or similar) would probably take thousands. At that point i decided i rather just go with the one that makes me fully happy out of the box since i could afford it.

golong27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Whether you need it or not, if you can find an equivalent Rubi for $6500 more than the Sport S, then I'd suggest the Rubi. In a few years, when you get tired of dealing with the quality issues, you will likely recover most of the $6500. If in a few years, if you decide to go back to your off-road preferences, you've got the right jeep for it without much modification.

I have a Sport S with 35"s and a 3.5" lift and go everywhere my friends with Rubicons and 37"s go - just takes more skill without the 4:1 t-case and lockers.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Does not sound like the Rubicon will benefit you from your description.

If you think you might do any camping with the family, then I would further suggest getting something other than the Rubicon, because the solar panel for the hood on the non-Rubicon gives more power for the solar charging. (I use it for keeping the jeep battery full over a weekend of camping with a fridge in the back)

I have a Sahara with the 2.0, 8sp, selectrac, & the LSD. it is a snowmobile:)

The 2.0 was a requirement for me after driving both, and because I like to travel to the mountains for climbing trips, and forced induction is much better at altitude. (most people think the power is ver close between the 2.0 & the V6, but it is NOT close if you look at the torque curves. you have almost all of your torque not much above idle with the 2l. you need to get high in the RPMs for torque with the v6) - dont get me wrong, I think think the v6 is a really good engine, i just think the 2l is better for me for the reasons stated.

Like you, my rock crawling days are over, hence why I wanted LSD more than lockers. If it is 99% pavement, then I really believe the LSD is the smarter choice.

I cannot compare the new Rocktrac full time 4WD to the Selectrac. I love the Selectrac, and have to assume that the Rocktrac4wd is just as good.

Cheers & Good luck.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

TRIM
Sport S

OPTIONS
Advanced / Safety Group
Cold Weather Group

QUESTION 4: Can this rear cup holder? be removed to create more foot space for a middle passenger?

Some Answers below:

QUESTION 1: If 98% of driving will be pavement, 1.99% gravel, and .01% light duty off-road, should I even consider the Rubicon??? I love the concept of having solid front/rear axles with locking diffs in 2021, even though I really won't need them. But it might help me sleep better at night knowing they are there. 😁 I'm also thinking about resale value 5 years from now, so maybe the difference won't be $6k from a Sport S? I am on the same boat as you. I have a Factory Stock four door Rubicon that I do not off road. I really love it still!!! If you want the looks of Steel Bumpers, Bigger Tires and the Vented Hood I would highly recommend the Rubicon (this was the reason why I bought a Rubicon plus the fact that resale is better). But if none of this excites you, that is perfectly fine. A Sport S will be good enough for you then. If you like some "luxury" features then maybe a Sahara might be good. Nobody will judge you for having a Sport S. You are fellow Jeeper in our eyes regardless of trim. Please join us!

QUESTION 2:
Is Rubicon's Full-Time 4WD Rock-Trac system any better on pavement or snow than the Selec-Trac offered in the other Wrangler trims? Not really. All Wrangler 4WD systems are good for snow on the roads. You notice the difference in true off road situations like Mud or Rocks.

QUESTION 3:
Since I want Full-Time 4WD, these are the two engine options. Coming from the uber-reliable Land Cruiser, is one engine better than the other for reliability, maintenance cost, or quirks in general? I have a 3.6 Pentastar in mine. The Pentastar is considered to be the second most Reliable engine to go into a Wrangler after the 4 Litre straight six they had some decades ago. That said, the turbo four has been out for almost four years now and there have been no major issues or recalls with it. Time will tell if it is as reliable as the Pentastar but it seems to be on the right track. If you want a more fun ride get the Turbo 4 but if you want established reliability, buy the Pentastar. An honorable mention here is the Ecodiesel. That engine has now been out for about 15 months. No major issues with it either. In conclusion, it seems you cannot go wrong with either Engine Choice.

Hope this helps. Just one thing to consider: Do you live in an area where you must drive when it is snowing out? If you are then avoid the LED Headlamps. They run rather cool and struggle with snow buildup when it gets heavy. Go Halogen instead as they run warm/hot. But if this does not apply to you then ignore and choose whichever one you like better (ex: it snows but you do not need to drive when it is snowing like me or you live down South).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As I mentioned on the other forum, lockers are of no use on-road, and of little use in most snow conditions.

For snow, the best setup is Selec-Trac + a rear LSD. Even the part-time Command-Trac + a rear LSD will serve you better in snow than a Rubicon with lockers and a rock-crawling transfer case.

You can get Select-Trac/Command-Trac + LSD on anything from Sport S all the way to Sahara.

With regards to reliability: nothing out there is as reliable as a Land Cruiser. If you buy a Jeep with reliability as your number one concern, you are bound to be disappointed.

However, if you are willing to live with acceptable levels of quality, crummy dealers, love to hit the trails and want to have loads of fun, a Jeep is just what the doctor ordered.

Good luck.

PS - ALL Wranglers have strong resale.
Sponsored