Sponsored

lagging acceleration and major mpg loss

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Have a sport s, manual 6sp, and notice sometimes that the acceleration gets really sluggish to the point that I have to double check that the e-brake is off. I can usually climb hills on a highway in 4th or 5th when above 50mph, but this time had to go to 3rd most of the time to climb even the slightest hills. Pick up from a stop was also clearly impacted. No lights on the dash came on.
Happened this weekend on a road trip we do frequently. Usually get 23-24mpg on that trip (all 55-65mph), and this time when I noticed the sluggish acceleration, I only got 19mpg fuel efficiency. As it was going along, I checked the other stats I have access too. Tire pressure same as always (around 37psi cold), engine temps etc seemed fine. I did notice that my battery usually shows 13.9-14.2 V, and this time it was jumping around a lot from 13.7-13.9V. It's been 100 degrees for a few months, so no change in temp from other days/trips. It is intermittent, though, and the next day I was back at the 23-24mpg area and acceleration seemed fine. Can't tell if this is a mechanical or electrical issue.
Just wanted to see if anyone else has experience this? I know there is a post on a JLUR essentially losing all power for a minute but then kicks back in, but haven't seen any resolution to that.
Any thoughts? I will be bringing it to the dealer soon, but as it is intermittent, and our dealer service is so overcrowded, I don't anticipate anything besides "we couldn't repeat the problem".
Thanks!
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Sounds like the engine can’t breathe - clogged exhaust? Failed sensor? Take it in ASAP.

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
that's kind of how it feels, but would have expected the engine light to come on if oxygen or exhaust weren't running correctly. but that might imply a sensor isn't working. will be replacing the air filter today too. thanks!

OP
OP
redelses

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
UPDATE - replaced air filter, completely new car! acceleration is what I would expect, mpg back to normal. I did replace with a K&N and expect a different with that alone, but it's a completely different engine compared to a week ago. The stock filter had lots of junk it in - dirt, possibly paint particles, and who knows what else. But so far it feels like it might be back!
Sponsored