Lack the strength to mount tires

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I use a mechanics Creeper from Harbor Freight $34 it hold the tires perfectly I then jack the car to align and since it moves in all directions tires go on effortlless, plus it is a great creeper I used for installing my lift and doing periodic inspection and re-torqueing. Used for 33's-37's works great. For the spare just have someone a little younger do the heavy lift.

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-in-300-lb-capacity-low-profile-creeper-gray-63371.html

As you can see it has a perfect dip that cradles the tire so the tire stands on its own.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lack the strength to mount tires 63371_I
Sponsored

whiteglad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
A shovel or pry bar works for me to lift the tire enough to get it onto the lugs.

FINN 2.0

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR. 1979 Ford 150.
I have been using a wheel dolly with built in jack from Harbor Freight. For the spare tire I just put it on a chair and push it on to the mounting studs.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I use a mechanics Creeper from Harbor Freight $34 it hold the tires perfectly I then jack the car to align and since it moves in all directions tires go on effortlless, plus it is a great creeper I used for installing my lift and doing periodic inspection and re-torqueing. Used for 33's-37's works great. For the spare just have someone a little younger do the heavy lift.

https://www.harborfreight.com/40-in-300-lb-capacity-low-profile-creeper-gray-63371.html

As you can see it has a perfect dip that cradles the tire so the tire stands on its own.

Jeep Wrangler JL Lack the strength to mount tires 63371_I
I have the same creeper - good tip. My “someone a little younger” encourages me to go to Discount Tire. :)

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm going to make up something like this for my spare. Great idea. Thanks for the inspiration.
Still need to eat your wheaties with those bead locks and 40s ;)

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GCM 392 - 2019 SG JLUR
Occupation
Wheel Pimp.

WorkingMan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Any DIY ideas with respect to rotating the spare off/on? I do the seated method, with my ankles doing the lifting, but that only works on the four wheels.
Get one of these at Harbor Freight

61405_W3.jpg

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I like the simplicity of your solution. Has that bolt screwed into the ceiling stud given you any trouble?
None what so ever. It's screwed into a truss 2x4 which can easily handle an extra 100 lbs. for a few minutes.

huberro2

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon 2019
Occupation
Engineer
Poor mans solution: To mount on to the wheel lug bolts, use a block of wood and rotating the tire to align with lugs bolts. As you roll the tire towards the block of wood, it starts to rise up (power of levers), to the appropriate height. and clear the ground, then push on to the lug bolts. Sometimes it takes a few rotation tries, but it is a back saver. As far as the spare, I use a short step ladder to rest the tire on before popping the tire on the rack mount. Daily gym workouts a plus too.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t take credit because someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread.
Most of us own a High Lift Jack. That should be great for the spare.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Question for those of you who have a spare but can't lift it without a mechanical advantage that you are unlikely to have when away from home.

Why do you have a spare?

Absolutely being serious here. If you can't change your tire when you are out and about, what good is that tire hanging from the tailgate? You would be better off getting rid of the weight, and keeping an air compressor and plug kit with your Jeep.

Poordad

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Acura TSX, 2015 Chrysler 300s, 2023 JLUR
If you are off road and get a flat that does not damage your sidewall, if you are able to plug your tire, you won't have to change your tire. Just need a plug kit and a way to fill the tire.
Sponsored