Sponsored

Lack the strength to mount tires

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Not the only way for sure but I roll my 40's up on my feet while sitting on my shop stool. You can adjust it accordingly. You have a bunch of leverage in your ankles. You can lift up and down pretty easy. Just get the hubs right above ride height and you're good to go.
As weird as this may sound, I too do the ankle shimmy.
Sponsored

JayCeeX2

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2014 4Runner Limited
@rickinAZ

What's nice about the 2 empty 27 gal totes .... very very sturdy but very light in weight... is that when you have the spare up on them, you can very easily slide the totes as needed on the garage floor.... slide/move/ position, so the spare lines up. Works similar when going to remove the spare.. Could not do this with a pricey "slick" platform..

I'm 72 yo and have been doing the dead with totes for a few years now.

Oh, I buy the 27 gal. totes at Sam's Club for $8.50 each....

Use the same two 27 gal totes, plus two more.... stacked in the rear of the JL to haul stuff.

I can get 4 totes into the back of my 2 dr with the rear seat removed.. Height of the totes stacked up 2 high does not hinder my rear view when driving...

I have a bunch of those totes. I use them for garage organization on shelves that hang from the ceiling. They are very light, very sturdy and I think I paid less than $10 each from HD a few years ago.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Use the hoist in the garage (ratchet strap that I use to lift the hard top) to lift the tire to the hight of the tire carrier, push it forward and you are done.

P.S. You can use the same method to pull/line-up/re-install steel bumpers.

But my rule is that my tire wheel/combo need to weigh less than my gf. Since I can still lift her, I'm not worried :) - Had to use KO2s to not violate the rule, though :(
Your girlfriend called. She said something about "tell him to get 42s and steel beadlocks". Now I understand, she's hungry!

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For those using a hoist (or block/tackle), what do you use to attach to the wheel/tire that you are jockeying into place?

Sponsored

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
+1 on a dolly. I got one after I messed up my shoulder. They really work well..

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Use the hoist in the garage (ratchet strap that I use to lift the hard top) to lift the tire to the hight of the tire carrier, push it forward and you are done.

P.S. You can use the same method to pull/line-up/re-install steel bumpers.

But my rule is that my tire wheel/combo need to weigh less than my gf. Since I can still lift her, I'm not worried :) - Had to use KO2s to not violate the rule, though :(
Sounds like you are giving TLP owner a new idea for an attachment haha. I may have to try a couple straps on my TLP to remove/replace my 37 spare next rotation. Great idea thx

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed, and you can adjust the height a fair bit by jacking the "legs" further in and out.
Sweet. Not bad price either :like:

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I've dismounted and mounted literally hundreds of 22.5" and 24.5" semi truck tires and wheels. The best method I found (besides using a dolly) was a tire bar. Its not hard to learn how to use the bar on about any surface. Using my left hand I maintain tire and wheel position at the hub. Using my right hand with the tire bar as a lever I will lift the tire and wheel and will see how the holes line up with the studs. If all line up I push the tire and wheel onto the studs using the tire bar. If not, I will either spin the hub a bit or use the tire bar to shift/rotate the tire and wheel then test again. Yes, I used my back some but the force required is minimal. This can be done while sitting on a stool or on one knee.

Ok, so some of you are placing parts of your body underneath this heavy vehicle and you are not in a position to escape if something falls. Not exactly the safer way. I purposely avoid putting any body part underneath whenever I can even if I am using jack stands. Out on the road changing tires on uneven surfaces I will lay the spare tire down underneath the vehicle so that if it falls while I'm removing the flat tire, the vehicle cannot fall completely to the ground. This gives you a chance to regroup and reset the jack to try again. So after the flat tire is off I place it underneath and then pull the spare out and mount it. It's just my way of being safer and might save someone from a serious injury some day.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Something like this that jacks 30" up would be great for the spare. Is there such an animal? Like a scissor lift...
I haven't seen anything myself that gets low to the ground. Ive seen scissor lift tables but they usually sit a couple feet tall at their lowest. I am planning to make a pulley on a piece of metal stock that will clamp to the back of my roof rack and overhang the tailgate. Synthetic rope over roof of jeep, through pulley, and winch the spare right up. Of couse ill need to put something in between line and paint, but a rag or glove should work fine, and I'll make the pulley contraption where I can remove it and stash in jeep. I can lift a 37 on a beadlock onto spare tire carrier, but not sure for how long and throwing my back out unexpectedly off road is not something I want to try.

Longhair1957

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
Occupation
Retired
I have a very bad back and I found it impossible to lift and mount 33 inch tires onto JLU by myself. I can mount car tires. I am wondering whether anyone has a DIY method that would make this process easy.
Approx 40 years ago I used to change truck and heavy equipment tires. I found using two long “30” tire irons. One in each hand. Line up wheel with studs. Stick Tire irons under the tire one on each side. With several inches extending past. Lift it with both hands and guide it onto the studs.
I figure if I can do it with semi tires, then 33” ought to be easy.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Yes, me too.

There’s alway a Discount Tire within 60 miles of wherever I might be.

While I’ve had flat tires many times before, I still have to get a flat Jeep tire. Knock on wood
Same here to .. a couple months back I found a roofing nail in my tire ..any other typical car tire and I would have had a flat. I took it out expecting a leak, and to this day nothing. Got lucky maybe ...or maybe the thickness of the tire has something to do with it. A + for jeep in my book . They might be heavy and bulky but even nails cant stop it.
Sponsored