First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Background: 2020 JLUR with 3.6 and have been running 5.13s and 37” tires for almost 6K miles. Previously was using the Flashcal with tires calibrated to 35” (that’s the measured/rolling diameter not paper spec) and the appropriate gear ratio. Used a downloaded app on my iPhone to confirm speedometer is accurate (within 0.5 MPH) and shift points seemed appropriate (easily got to 8th gear and stayed there with only downshifting as needed based on pressure applied to accelerator). Just went to Cooper STT Pros this Monday and while noticeably somewhat heavier, speedometer still correct and upshifting remained more or less unchanged.

Question: Installed Tazer Mini this afternoon and recalibrated tires to same size from Flashcal and appropriate gear ratio. Confirmed speedometer is correct using iPhone downloaded app. However, the shift points seem very off. The transmission is staying in 6th (60 MPH cruising) for a prolonged period of time and barely getting into 7th (at like 75 MPH downhill). I only see 8th when I force the auto into manual mode and upshift. Even when decelerating to a stop, I noticed that the transmission is not downshifting as quickly and seems to be holding 5th and 6th way too long compared to when I had the Flashcal.

Thoughts from the brain trust? If this keeps up, I plan on going back to the Flashcal as the current shift points on the Tazer are not tenable in the long run (lack of proper upshifting and worse gas mileage). Please don’t blame it on the change to the heavier Coopers as it was shifting fine under the Flashcal without an issue so it’s definitely not that. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
First time I’m hearing of something this. Did you set all the other parameters with the Tazer besides tire diameter, such as gear ratio, since you regeared to 5.13s?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Im guessing you physically changed the gears ...if not then you should have not made adjustments to gears using the Tazer if you did actually change gears I’m not sure why it’s not shifting correctly

OP
OP
conFUcius

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
First time I’m hearing of something this. Did you set all the other parameters with the Tazer besides tire diameter, such as gear ratio, since you regeared to 5.13s?
That is correct. I set the rolling diameter tire size (confirmed by a third party app on the iPhone to ensure the speedometer was close to GPS) and the gear ratio to 5.13.

Im guessing you physically changed the gears ...if not then you should have not made adjustments to gears using the Tazer if you did actually change gears I’m not sure why it’s not shifting correctly
Correct - I have physically regeared the Jeep to 5.13s and have been running this set up for almost 5K miles without an issue using the Flashcal.

I have updated to the most recent software version (off the top of my head like 11.2.5 or something like that). Additionally, I have tried to unmarry, then reapply the settings following the two sleep cycle process.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
That is correct. I set the rolling diameter tire size (confirmed by a third party app on the iPhone to ensure the speedometer was close to GPS) and the gear ratio to 5.13.

Correct - I have physically regeared the Jeep to 5.13s and have been running this set up for almost 5K miles without an issue using the Flashcal.

I have updated to the most recent software version (off the top of my head like 11.2.5 or something like that). Additionally, I have tried to unmarry, then reapply the settings following the two sleep cycle process.
Not sure but I know it takes some time for the tranny to relearn the shift points so maybe when you removed the Flashcal and put the Tazer in it erased something and it will take some driving to relearn but this is all a guess on my part, maybe reach out to Zauto to see if they have some input.

Sponsored

OP
OP
conFUcius

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Not sure but I know it takes some time for the tranny to relearn the shift points so maybe when you removed the Flashcal and put the Tazer in it erased something and it will take some driving to relearn but this is all a guess on my part, maybe reach out to Zauto to see if they have some input.
Cool - I intend to do that; I shot the owner a message on here (figured it’s the weekend) since he’s been pretty responsive to others. There seems to be some conflicting trains of thought that the tranny learns the driver’s habits. Just got pretty concerned that the shift points were so far after making the switch. Did notice that I’ve started to see 7th back where it was holding 6th? Appreciate the input!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Cool - I intend to do that; I shot the owner a message on here (figured it’s the weekend) since he’s been pretty responsive to others. There seems to be some conflicting trains of thought that the tranny learns the driver’s habits. Just got pretty concerned that the shift points were so far after making the switch. Did notice that I’ve started to see 7th back where it was holding 6th? Appreciate the input!
No worries, hope it gets sorted out... I chose not to regear but then I’m only running 35’s ... I rarely see 8th gear and it stays in 7th most of the time but thats ok.

I asked about it when I had my lift and wheel/tire combo done and I was advised I would not recoup the investment, I barely even notice it anymore

OP
OP
conFUcius

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
No worries, hope it gets sorted out... I chose not to regear but then I’m only running 35’s ... I rarely see 8th gear and it stays in 7th most of the time but thats ok.

I asked about it when I had my lift and wheel/tire combo done and I was advised I would not recoup the investment, I barely even notice it anymore
Agree that it would not be worth it for 35s (especially if you have a Rubicon with the 4.10 ratio).

The loss of 8th gear is exactly why I know the shift points are off. 5.13s and 37s should easily get me 8th gear back but it was sitting in 6th (at first, now 7th) on a flat highway at 70 MPH.

Here’s to hoping it gets sorted out soon!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Agree that it would not be worth it for 35s (especially if you have a Rubicon with the 4.10 ratio).

The loss of 8th gear is exactly why I know the shift points are off. 5.13s and 37s should easily get me 8th gear back but it was sitting in 6th (at first, now 7th) on a flat highway at 70 MPH.

Here’s to hoping it gets sorted out soon!
I was all set to have the shop here in Houston do it all but the shop owner/operator @TTEChris of Tank Customs is a super Jeeper and could have easily taken my $$ but he advised for 35’s and what I planned on doing with my Jeep ( Light wheeling) doing a regear would have not been $$ well spent but the cutoff was 35’s and that’s the biggest I will run with so I’m a happy camper

OP
OP
conFUcius

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
After messaging with Joe, it looks like the Tazer takes 96% of the inputted tire size to use in its programming/calibration whereas the Flashcal uses the actual entered tire size. It is done this way to save owners the trouble of having to measure their rolling diameter and just entering the paper specs of the tire. Since doing this, the Tazer is working smoothly and I am happy I made the switch for the additional features!

Sponsored

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Did you reset all your ProCal settings back to stock prior to using the Tazer and adjusting the settings? Maybe a conflict somewhere with each device and the settings not being set to factory specs prior to the Tazer install? Just a thought and may be way off base but I look at vehicle software and settings just like anything else software related.

OP
OP
conFUcius

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Did you reset all your ProCal settings back to stock prior to using the Tazer and adjusting the settings? Maybe a conflict somewhere with each device and the settings not being set to factory specs prior to the Tazer install? Just a thought and may be way off base but I look at vehicle software and settings just like anything else software related.
Sure did - unmarried there Flashcal (i.e. returned to stock). When I was first having issues, I unmarried there Tazer to start all over and I did multiple reboots. My parents and brother are all software/electrical engineers ;) .

One_Glad_Man

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
2 questions for you. 1) Did you simply take the actual diameter you measured and then figure out what 96% was and add the difference to get the right number in the tazer? 2) Did you still have the shifts hanging?
So I did number one and went over the measured diameter until 96% of that number equaled the measured number. That helped some of the shifting issues and I was even able to get to 8th on the highway. But it was still hanging on the 4th to 5th shift unless I let off and then would shift to 5th and 6th. Tomorrow I’m going to test speedo and see if it’s accurate with waze. Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored