Sponsored

Lack of power somtimes during shifting

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Have a 3.6L with 6 speed manual transmission. Lately, I have noticed that quite often there seems to be a lack of power after shifting gears.

To me, it seems almost like "turbo lag". Obviously there isn't a turbo in play here, but it is VERY noticeable. Pressing on the gas pedal almost has no effect.

And it isn't all of the time either. I could be at freeway speeds downshifting to pass and have ZERO power or I could be coming from a light and go from 2nd to 3rd and have no power.

You can definitely feel the power kick in when it has gotten out of its funk, but I am not sure what could be causing this.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Have a 3.6L with 6 speed manual transmission. Lately, I have noticed that quite often there seems to be a lack of power after shifting gears.

To me, it seems almost like "turbo lag". Obviously there isn't a turbo in play here, but it is VERY noticeable. Pressing on the gas pedal almost has no effect.

And it isn't all of the time either. I could be at freeway speeds downshifting to pass and have ZERO power or I could be coming from a light and go from 2nd to 3rd and have no power.

You can definitely feel the power kick in when it has gotten out of its funk, but I am not sure what could be causing this.
Are you below 2k rpms? Power below this level is non-existent. Poor oem tune is to blame as well.

OP
OP
Seanmh72

Seanmh72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Are you below 2k rpms? Power below this level is non-existent. Poor oem tune is to blame as well.
I’ll have to check, but I don’t know. I know I have felt it on a down shift that should have the RPMs up.

cohocarl

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Honda Passport, '18 Crosstrek, '16 Cherokee
A few of us noted the nonexistent torque below 2K rpm in this thread.
I added an axle back Hooker exhaust that helped me out...not due to any power increase, but the ability for me to be able to hear the rpm I'm at. It almost seems like variable valve timing might be kicking in @ 2K.
I'm almost wondering if the tune restricts the electronic throttle at low rpm's to keep from lugging the engine. I know that's a little far fetched, but...
Sponsored