Sponsored

Labor Hours for Tie Rod, Drag Link, Track Bar.....install

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
Thanks all...sounds like its definitely gonna be more than 3-4 hours for me
Did drag link, tie rod, and steering stabilizer this past weekend. I split the work into 2 days, 4 hours each not hurrying and taking breaks. Measuring and post install adjusting took the most time.

One thing, drag link didn't budge with a pickle fork. Pulled out a ball joint separator and it was a 5 minute job - tighten, whack knuckle with hammer, repeated 3 times and popped off loudly. Keep the nuts on or get bashed in the face also.
Sponsored

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Did drag link, tie rod, and steering stabilizer this past weekend. I split the work into 2 days, 4 hours each not hurrying and taking breaks. Measuring and post install adjusting took the most time.

One thing, drag link didn't budge with a pickle fork. Pulled out a ball joint separator and it was a 5 minute job - tighten, whack knuckle with hammer, repeated 3 times and popped off loudly. Keep the nuts on or get bashed in the face also.
Normal size pickle fork is not wide enough and your strikes just wedge on the taper and not apply much force to separate. I got a pickle fork set with wider forks, 4 good blows with a 4# hammer popped it off.

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Normal size pickle fork is not wide enough and your strikes just wedge on the taper and not apply much force to separate. I got a pickle fork set with wider forks, 4 good blows with a 4# hammer popped it off.
Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Chubrocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2017 JKU Sport, 2013 F150, 2004 4Runner
100% correct. I noticed that and said FTS and got the ball joint tool.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t realize how lucky I got I guess. I have a set of pickle forks, think there are 3 or 4 of them in there. I just grabbed one and popped it off after a few good hits

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
We use an air hammer with pickle fork. Everyonce in a while one will need a little extra convincing to come out. The air hammer makes short work on it. Only negative is it tears the boot 100% of the time.

Brett

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
We use an air hammer with pickle fork. Everyonce in a while one will need a little extra convincing to come out. The air hammer makes short work on it. Only negative is it tears the boot 100% of the time.

Brett
I tried this per Brett’s recommendation and it still wouldn’t come off easy. I’m sure that was more me buying the cheap $13 harbor freight air hammer than anything :CWL:

My suggestion is if you buy one to do this, get a quality air hammer that packs a punch.
Sponsored