vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey guys.

How long should it take to install Tie Rod, Drag Link, Track Bar and Track Bar/Sector Shaft Brace?

Just wanted to budget my time. While there I'm going to do geometry correction brackets.

Any estimate would be helpful so that I can plan meal and beer breaks for the buddy that's going to help me out. He is the tech, I'm the tool passer.

Thanks in advance and appreciate any insight.

Vin
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
maybe 3 hours to get everything bolted on and home garage alignment its all pretty easy tasks, but that time does not factor in shit talking and beer/pizza consumption

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
With two people Iā€™d say three hours is about right. Took me around 4 by myself.

If you want to do some ā€˜pre workā€™ to cut some time out, you could unbox and assemble everything, measure yourself the current Tie rod length and set the new one to same length, etc. These steps anyone can do and they do eat up time.

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
maybe 3 hours to get everything bolted on and home garage alignment its all pretty easy tasks, but that time does not factor in shit talking and beer/pizza consumption
LOL Thanks and there will be plenty of that.

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
With two people Iā€™d say three hours is about right. Took me around 4 by myself.

If you want to do some ā€˜pre workā€™ to cut some time out, you could unbox and assemble everything, measure yourself the current Tie rod length and set the new one to same length, etc. These steps anyone can do and they do eat up time.
Thanks. I don't know how you guys can do this so quick. I'm learning and want to understand the science behind which is why I want to do it myself. With these estimates I will double the time as a normal learning experience.

These estimates include the geometry brackets and sector brace? Geez...I'm getting hopeful I can get it done in a day or two then.

Thanks for the replies.

Vin

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. I don't know how you guys can do this so quick. I'm learning and want to understand the science behind which is why I want to do it myself. With these estimates I will double the time as a normal learning experience.

These estimates include the geometry brackets and sector brace? Geez...I'm getting hopeful I can get it done in a day or two then.

Thanks for the replies.

Vin
Sorry, I didnā€™t account for the geometry correction brackets, I should have stated that. I have never done that so wouldnā€™t know. But Iā€™d guess an hour or two for that.

I did include the sector shaft brace, I did do that.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Spend the money and get adj control arms either lower or upper vs the relo brackets. Sector shaft brace needs a big socket. Canā€™t remeber off the top of my head, itā€™s in the tool box. Tie rod isnā€™t as quick as a direct swap since youā€™ll need to address the steering stabilizer relocation solution. 3hrs isnā€™t far off, just depends how fluid yā€™all are and efficient

Brett

Last edited:

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Spend the money and get adj control arms either lower or upper vs the relo brackets. Sector shaft brace needs a big socket. Canā€™t remeber off the top of my head, itā€™s in the tool box. Tie rod isnā€™t as quick as a direct swap since youā€™ll need to address the steering stabilizer relocation solution. 3hrs is far off, just depends how fluid yā€™all are and efficient

Brett

Will need a 42mm for that nut

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Spend the money and get adj control arms either lower or upper vs the relo brackets. Sector shaft brace needs a big socket. Canā€™t remeber off the top of my head, itā€™s in the tool box. Tie rod isnā€™t as quick as a direct swap since youā€™ll need to address the steering stabilizer relocation solution. 3hrs is far off, just depends how fluid yā€™all are and efficient

Brett
Thanks so much for the feedbak. Doing the geometry correction brackets because the Jeep has the Mopar arms already and the brackets were given to me from a friend that went with adjustable arms. I couldn't beat the price!

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Brett
I'm using Yeti track bar, drag link and tie rod. Using synergy steering stabilizer relocation brackets on a new Fox steering stabilizer. Really appreciate everyone's insights. This is why the community is so great.

Vinnie

Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Track bar is super easy, just two bolts, one on frame, one on axle.

Drag link is tricky, you have to buy or borrow a fork separator (don't know the exact name) to undo it from pit man arm.

quietpeen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Track bar is super easy, just two bolts, one on frame, one on axle.

Drag link is tricky, you have to buy or borrow a fork separator (don't know the exact name) to undo it from pit man arm.
You are thinking of a pickle fork

And Iā€™m going to add to this that the hardest part will most likely be getting the ball joint out of the pitman arm. Start soaking it now with WD-40

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys.

How long should it take to install Tie Rod, Drag Link, Track Bar and Track Bar/Sector Shaft Brace?

Just wanted to budget my time. While there I'm going to do geometry correction brackets.

Any estimate would be helpful so that I can plan meal and beer breaks for the buddy that's going to help me out. He is the tech, I'm the tool passer.

Vin
When you go at the drag link with the pickle fork, hit it a few licks, and then reposition and hit a few licks, work your way around as far as you can and still have a swing. Itā€™s a crap shoot, Iā€™ve heard some falling off with the first lick , and Iā€™ve heard of some taking over an hour.............

good luck brother.

OP
OP

vinniechin

First Name
Vinnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
When you go at the drag link with the pickle fork, hit it a few licks, and then reposition and hit a few licks, work your way around as far as you can and still have a swing. Itā€™s a crap shoot, Iā€™ve heard some falling off with the first lick , and Iā€™ve heard of some taking over an hour.............

good luck brother.
Thanks all...sounds like its definitely gonna be more than 3-4 hours for me

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hey guys.

Vin
3 hours. The only thing that can slow you down is the pitman arm TRE. Make sure you have the right pickle fork and get it undone first - as it will determine the time for the rest of the project.
Sponsored