Labor Charge for lift kit install

Wclark431

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Looking at getting a lift kit installed and have it narrowed down to Clayton or Metalcloak. I have gotten some pricing and I just wanted to get an idea of whats a normal labor charge for a kit like this? It would be the 2.5 game changer or the overland+ 2.5 kit. I know the labor rate will be a bit higher than other kits due to having 8 adjustable control arms, and front and rear adj. trackbars.
So, if you have had a kit like this installed in the past 6 months or so, and could give me a ballpark of what your labor charge was, that would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

Labor for my lift was $577....I did the dual sport lift though and not the game changer. Another 150 for the alignment.

I added some other bits later that added to the labor (front drive shaft, steering support).

Last edited:

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Labor for my lift was $577....I did the dual sport lift though and not the game changer. Another 150 for the alignment.

I added some other bits later that added labor (front drive shaft, steering support) as well.

What Alignment? these are solid axels. Any adjustments for centering and caster are part of the lift install... You deserve a Refund...

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I requested it...I wanted to make sure everything was accurate.
But there is NOTHING to align on a solid axel... A Honest shop should have told you that. and the shop that did the lift install should have provided you caster info.

xaugievike

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Clubs

But there is NOTHING to align on a solid axel... A Honest shop should have told you that. and the shop that did the lift install should have provided you caster info.
Thats what it cost me. Maybe Im a rube.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Labor costs can vary wildly on the location. The labor cost quote for my Metalcloak 3.5 Gamechanger, front driveshaft, new wheels and tires balanced and installed all came in at $1391. Right up the road in Boulder, CO the same job was estimated at over $2500.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Buy some tools. Do it yourself. You'll be money ahead as well as learn a lot about your rig.
I see this response a lot. I understand the sentiment behind it, but not everyone is mechanically inclined. Some may be at an age that they are better served having it done by a professional shop that stands behind its work. Time may be a factor.

Not everyone is a wrench slinging young buck with time on their hands eager to crawl around on the ground installing a lift.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at getting a lift kit installed and have it narrowed down to Clayton or Metalcloak. I have gotten some pricing and I just wanted to get an idea of whats a normal labor charge for a kit like this? It would be the 2.5 game changer or the overland+ 2.5 kit. I know the labor rate will be a bit higher than other kits due to having 8 adjustable control arms, and front and rear adj. trackbars.
So, if you have had a kit like this installed in the past 6 months or so, and could give me a ballpark of what your labor charge was, that would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Bring it down, I’ll get it done for you, I usually don’t charge Jeep dudes if they pitch in or at least watch the process, so they know how it all works, guys that tell me to do it and call when it’s done.... get charged.....😉....... lunch is on you though....✌

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I see this response a lot. I understand the sentiment behind it, but not everyone is mechanically inclined. Some may be at an age that they are better served having it done by a professional shop that stands behind its work. Time may be a factor.

Not everyone is a wrench slinging young buck with time on their hands eager to crawl around on the ground installing a lift.
Are you going to go off-road? What are you going to do if anything breaks off the beaten path? Have you ever changed a tire off-road? Installing a lift kit is about as straight forward as it gets. Nobody will treat your rig with as much care as you will. I highly advocate for people doing their own work because at some point your going to have to fix/trouble-shoot a problem and it will be a much easier process if you know how everything goes together.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Are you going to go off-road? What are you going to do if anything breaks off the beaten path? Have you ever changed a tire off-road? Installing a lift kit is about as straight forward as it gets. Nobody will treat your rig with as much care as you will. I highly advocate for people doing their own work because at some point your going to have to fix/trouble-shoot a problem and it will be a much easier process if you know how everything goes together.
As I stated, I understand the sentiment behind the comment.

One can have a sound understanding of their rig and its suspension without ever installing a lift kit. They can fix things as well with never installing one.

I can turn wrenches and could probably install a lift kit. I understand the suspension and know its components. I also am no longer a young buck that feels like crawling around on the ground to install a lift. Nothing wrong with having a competent shop install it.

Like you stated, "Installing a lift kit is about as straight forward as it gets."

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
As I stated, I understand the sentiment behind the comment.

One can have a sound understanding of their rig and its suspension without ever installing a lift kit. They can fix things as well with never installing one.

I can turn wrenches and could probably install a lift kit. I understand the suspension and know its components. I also am no longer a young buck that feels like crawling around on the ground to install a lift. Nothing wrong with having a competent shop install it.

Like you stated, "Installing a lift kit is about as straight forward as it gets."
Meh, keeps me young. I also don't let anyone else touch my rig. I even mount my own tires.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We usually say install times for our Overland Plus kit can vary anywhere from 6 hours to 8 hours!
Sponsored