Labor Charge for lift kit install

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Meh, keeps me young. I also don't let anyone else touch my rig. I even mount my own tires.
Must be lonely at times touching your rig, however I hope you at least buy those tires dinner before you mount them... Sorry could not resist :bandit:
Sponsored

Last edited:

Eischman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm kind of in this same boat, I have most of the tools to do it and I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to just pay someone to do it, ($500+) but I'm also thinking I could save a lot of time (and $$) on the install if I bought a GOOD impact wrench ($300) and in the end I have a new tool and knowledge.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I'm kind of in this same boat, I have most of the tools to do it and I'm thinking it would be a lot easier to just pay someone to do it, ($500+) but I'm also thinking I could save a lot of time (and $$) on the install if I bought a GOOD impact wrench ($300) and in the end I have a new tool and knowledge.
The hardest bolts you cannot get an impact wrench on them, get a good breaker bar. Then go to Harbot freight and buy the corded impact wrencn for like $80 (stronger than battery) or check craigs list always several impact wrenches on there for 1/2 the cost. What you do need is a couple high reach bottle, or floor jacks. The hardest part of the lift is breaking the factory bolts which even the best impact wranches struggle to do. You should do it yourself that way you intimately know your suspension. Also make sure your jack stands are tall enough and can handle the weight.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The hardest bolts you cannot get an impact wrench on them, get a good breaker bar. Then go to Harbot freight and buy the corded impact wrencn for like $80 (stronger than battery) or check craigs list always several impact wrenches on there for 1/2 the cost. What you do need is a couple high reach bottle, or floor jacks. The hardest part of the lift is breaking the factory bolts which even the best impact wranches struggle to do. You should do it yourself that way you intimately know your suspension. Also make sure your jack stands are tall enough and can handle the weight.
I’m not sure which battery-powered impacts you’ve used but my Makita impact easily breaks anything on the Jeep suspension.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m not sure which battery-powered impacts you’ve used but my Makita impact easily breaks anything on the Jeep suspension.

How would you know that since you cannot even get a impact wranch on all the suspension Bolts? I have a Dwalt 20V Max cordless and a Harbor Freight Bauer, the Dwalt breaks maybe 1/2 the factory bolts the bauer 90% but again several bolts are tight areas and have to be manually broke and removed that is what I was referring to had you actually reas my post. There is No reason to buy a $300 wrench for a coulple bolts,

Last edited:

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
How would you know that since you cannot even get a impact wranch on all the suspension Bolts? I have a Dwalt 20V Max cordless and a Harbor Freight Bauer, the Dwalt breaks maybe 1/2 the factory bolts the bauer 90% but again several bolts are tight areas and have to be manually broke and removed that is what I was referring tomhad you actually reas my post. There is No reason to buy a $300 wranch for a coulple bolts,
I did read your post, maybe YOU should read it again. Nobody is saying you should buy a $300 impact for a couple bolts. Not surprised your Dewalt sucks.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
....Then go to Harbot freight and buy the corded impact wrencn for like $80 (stronger than battery) or check craigs list always several impact wrenches on there for 1/2 the cost. ....
Its not. Its much weaker than good cordless impact. It could not brake front lower control arm bolts. Cordless 20V dewalt took 5 seconds.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Its not. Its much weaker than good cordless impact. It could not brake front lower control arm bolts. Cordless 20V dewalt took 5 seconds.
This is the same guy that thinks you have to have the dealer change your oil in order to maintain warranty coverage so……

Cardboardjr

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 wrangler TJ. '22 JLU Sport in Sting Gray
As I stated, I understand the sentiment behind the comment.

One can have a sound understanding of their rig and its suspension without ever installing a lift kit. They can fix things as well with never installing one.

I can turn wrenches and could probably install a lift kit. I understand the suspension and know its components. I also am no longer a young buck that feels like crawling around on the ground to install a lift. Nothing wrong with having a competent shop install it.

Like you stated, "Installing a lift kit is about as straight forward as it gets."
I agree with your point. There's also a lot of people that physically just can't do that type of thing. I had major spinal surgery at a young age and doing that type of work just causes me pain. Even changing my alternator was hard enough. Time is also a variable. I have worked nearly 400 hours (33 days) of overtime alone this year. A lot of people don't have the time or the body to do things under the car for hours at a time. I would rather spend my limited time driving the thing than fixing it up. I get the point of doing it to know your car, but that isn't always practical.

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with your point. There's also a lot of people that physically just can't do that type of thing. I had major spinal surgery at a young age and doing that type of work just causes me pain. Even changing my alternator was hard enough. Time is also a variable. I have worked nearly 400 hours (33 days) of overtime alone this year. A lot of people don't have the time or the body to do things under the car for hours at a time. I would rather spend my limited time driving the thing than fixing it up. I get the point of doing it to know your car, but that isn't always practical.
I am a guy who enjoy working on my Jeep, and I think installing a lift is a very straight forward task. There are tons of information, instructions, and step by step videos available to help you do it right. Most people should be able to tackle it if they want to.

HOWEVER, I also understand everyone is different. Some might not have a warm garage they can comfortably spend a few hours straight in. Some might not be physically capable of doing it. Some might work 60+ hours a week and they went to spend limited free time with the family in the Jeep instead of under the Jeep. Some might see it as waste of time where they could spend it somewhere else and be more productive. We do not know...

I am always a big advocator of working on your own Jeep but there is nothing wrong paying a reputable shop do the dirty work. Just because you are capable of doing everything yourself, does not mean that is the only right way, nor does it make you a better "Jeeper".

Occasionally, there are questions like this pop up and those hard core DIY guys would show up and talk in a condescending tone as if people don't deserve a Jeep if they don't build it themselves.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I own both the Dwalt 20VMAX and the Bauer Corded. TYhe Dwalt could not break sevreal bolts so I ran to harbor Freight and bought the CORDED Bauer that would break now 90%. The Dwalt cold not even break 1/2 of the factory Lugnuts. Does not change the fact you cannot get a inpact wrangch on several of the bolts and a waste of $$$ buying an expensive impact wrench.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Dwalt could not even break 1/2 the factory torqued lugnuts I strongly dissagree since owning both. The Dwault only has 800lbs of breakaway torque the $89 Bauer is 1050lbs of breakaway power. Get your facts straight.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
My 1/2” dewalt has got 1200lbs of breakaway it’s the XR 20v

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
The Dwalt could not even break 1/2 the factory torqued lugnuts I strongly dissagree since owning both. The Dwault only has 800lbs of breakaway torque the $89 Bauer is 1050lbs of breakaway power. Get your facts straight.
My goes to 1200 breakaway/700max and watch reviews for Bauer. People measured around 700 breakaway torque at best and max torque is 300 by official specs. Anyway I used them side to side and its not even fair to compare them. This is one of the times where its 100% worth spending ~$150 more and getting better tool. Milwaukee M18 is great too.

thebeardedflip

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU SPORT Altitude, 97 TJ 4 cyl, 5 spd
Just for reference. I asked the local tire shop while I was in there getting an alignment for my truck, what it would cost for them to swap my sport springs and shocks for Rubi XR take offs. They told me it would be like 6 hours or some ridiculous number which added up to around $1,000. I was absolutely offended.
Sponsored