Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
VFX Artist / Photographer / Cinematographer
Hello everybody!

I thought I would start a thread on my overland build for my media creation business (WildBreath).
This is my second JL, I totaled the first one on my way to Oregon after falling asleep on the highway :D
Hopefully, this lasts a bit longer than 2 months :D

This is a picture I took from the hill where I live in Squamish, BC, Canada.
33924189_1242144089249836_2862781868141445120_n.jpg

The first thing I did was putting a 2" lift by Mopar, and Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires in 285/75-17 size. Not too big, not too small, nice and tall not too wide. Perfect for the kind of trips I do.

I also put a Smittybuilt 9500XRCII winch with Rusty's winch plate (really solid!). I am waiting for the hawse fairlead driving license plate, should be here tomorrow.

I also mounted the Cobra CB and the Kenwood Dual Band VHF.
I put the bodies of the radios in the glove box and the faceplates outside as visible in the picture.
They are using a Scosche magnetic mount that has been holding pretty well so far.

As for the antennas, the CB is using the hole that is on the bumper, and the VHF is using a stainless steel plate that comes out on the side of the hood.

20180527_204255.jpg

I also have another mount for the tablet that I use to navigate off-road, got the USB 12v to 5v cable and I'll install it this weekend together with the Dash Cam.

I am waiting for the Rhino Rack platform to be available for the JL, so I can put a rooftop tent on it, although I am still evaluating of using a tent trailer instead.
Will add a fridge soon, Smittybilt or Dometic I believe (don't like the ARB blue colors) and a bigger power inverter.

I will keep posting as the build continues.

Cheers,
G.
Sponsored

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
I'm definitely interested in what you're doing with this as I'm starting to build mine up. I did order the Gobi rack instead for the tent.

W5MQS

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Wrangler Rubicon JLU; 2020 Mercedes GLB 250; 2013 Red Ford F-150 4x4
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Interventional Cardiology
Hello everybody!

I thought I would start a thread on my overland build for my media creation business (WildBreath).
This is my second JL, I totaled the first one on my way to Oregon after falling asleep on the highway :D
Hopefully, this lasts a bit longer than 2 months :D

This is a picture I took from the hill where I live in Squamish, BC, Canada.
33924189_1242144089249836_2862781868141445120_n.jpg

The first thing I did was putting a 2" lift by Mopar, and Nitto Ridge Grappler Tires in 285/75-17 size. Not too big, not too small, nice and tall not too wide. Perfect for the kind of trips I do.

I also put a Smittybuilt 9500XRCII winch with Rusty's winch plate (really solid!). I am waiting for the hawse fairlead driving license plate, should be here tomorrow.

I also mounted the Cobra CB and the Kenwood Dual Band VHF.
I put the bodies of the radios in the glove box and the faceplates outside as visible in the picture.
They are using a Scosche magnetic mount that has been holding pretty well so far.

As for the antennas, the CB is using the hole that is on the bumper, and the VHF is using a stainless steel plate that comes out on the side of the hood.

20180527_204255.jpg

I also have another mount for the tablet that I use to navigate off-road, got the USB 12v to 5v cable and I'll install it this weekend together with the Dash Cam.

I am waiting for the Rhino Rack platform to be available for the JL, so I can put a rooftop tent on it, although I am still evaluating of using a tent trailer instead.
Will add a fridge soon, Smittybilt or Dometic I believe (don't like the ARB blue colors) and a bigger power inverter.

I will keep posting as the build continues.

Cheers,
G.
How and/or what did you use to mount the control head of your Kenwood radio? And where did you mount the main body of the system? You wouldn't happen to have some more detailed pics of the UHF/VHF install, would you??? I'm looking for ideas to mount a radio myself but given the lack of available space, it makes it a bit difficult and I really don't want to have to drill into the Jeep where others can see it if I don't have to.

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello everybody,

I apologize for not updating this post and for not replying, life was in the way.

I have done a little work to the JL to make it more expedition ready, fall is approaching fast and that's where I get out more often.
I changed a bit my built plans since I am getting a small military trailer to tow and to base camp with, so a few things I had originally in mind won't be happening on the actual jeep.

Anyway, as for the radios, both the CB (Cobra) and the VHF (Kenwood TM701) are mounted inside the glove box. I figured I have enough space in the center console to put what I need. In fact, I am impressed by how much stuff I can fit in the JL.

20180806_113008.jpg

20180325_111911.jpg

I wasn't able to completely hide the cables behind the A-pillar since I didn't want to mess up with the plastics around it, so I simply routed the cables around it. Is still a clean install and when the door is closed you don't really see any cable.

20180527_204255.jpg

The CB antenna is on the front bumper, is also handy when in tight space to see the extension of the bumper itself, the VHF antenna is mounted with a stainless steel mount on the side of the hood.

20180324_185140.jpg

As for how to mount all the stuff, I use the Schoshe magnetic mounts. I have tested them off-road in some very rough terrains and they hold incredibly well. I could have used
RAM mounts, but to be honest these work just fine and the magnets are really nice because I can plug and remove stuff quickly if I have to.
The cobra receiver is just screwed onto the front cover.
The cables are behind the carpet nicely tuck away.

20180806_113013.jpg

I have the GPS navigation tablet on the left, the kenwood radio panel and I simply taped down the CB speaker on the dash, but I am not sure it will last long, so I will buy another magnetic mount.

20180806_113020_HDR.jpg

20180806_113028_HDR.jpg

I have built a platform in the back to store the camping gear: the table, the stove, the Dometic fridge, the pans and utensils. When the fridge is in the JL the dog stays on the back seat (folded down), otherwise he still fits nicely where the fridge sits.
I didn't want to buy a slider because that would be an obstacle for the dog to lay down in that space, so the fridge is simply strapped down when I need to cover long distances.
The stove comes out thanks to a platform that is on roller bearing sliders and is locked with two pins. I couldn't find the locking sliders and even these ones are a bit short, so I'll probably update the sliders later.
The bottom of the platform is cut so that I can still access the lower compartment, which is really useful.
The platform is all bolted onto the original tie-down points, which should be plenty strong.

20180729_121029.jpg

20180729_145832_HDR.jpg

20180804_185143.jpg

20180804_214914.jpg

20180804_214919.jpg

20180806_084048_HDR.jpg

I have added some molle pouches to the back as well. These are one-tigris, bought on Amazon together with my dog vest which accepts molle attachments (he is a working dog).
When we have to go on long hikes I take them off the jeep and onto Argo (the dog :D) with his own stuff (water, food etc.)

20180714_100242_HDR.jpg

20180806_155155_HDR.jpg

20180714_135230_HDR.jpg

The next step is setting up the electrical power box.
I will build something like the Yeti Goal Zero, but it would cost me much less to do a simple version of it than buying it. I will put it in a plano box I think, and then bring it over with me when needed, since I will have to move it between the trailer and the jeep according to the kind of trip I am going onto.

More to come!

OpsWest

First Name
Ops
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Awesome, glad to see another overland build. Nice work on the rear storage, did you use pocket holes or screwed then straight in?

Sponsored

bryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini, F250, Forester, 2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
the VHF antenna is mounted with a stainless steel mount on the side of the hood.
Did you have the stainless NMO hood mount custom fabricated, or was it off-the-shelf? If it was an off-the-shelf product, from whom was it purchased?

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Awesome, glad to see another overland build. Nice work on the rear storage, did you use pocket holes or screwed then straight in?
I used pocket holes for every piece of wood that is vertical on the base. The horizontal ones are screwed from the top. Is plenty solid, doesn't move and doesn't rattle For the pocket holes i use the keg tool, I love it!

OP
OP
knower

knower

First Name
Giuseppe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wildbreath.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Did you have the stainless NMO hood mount custom fabricated, or was it off-the-shelf? If it was an off-the-shelf product, from whom was it purchased?
I buy all my radio stuff in a shop near Vancouver, but they don't really sell online. Is called Burnaby radio. I am pretty sure you can find the same mount on Amazon I think is originally for a CB antenna but works perfectly for the VHF.
Sponsored