Kuat NV 2.0 for Jeep with Larger Tires

Marmenta

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JL Rubicon
I thought I'd do a quick write up on this topic as I couldn't seem to find one this last week when I was searching for the information.

I purchased a Kuat NV 2.0 Base rack after the over the spare racks didn't seem to work with the geometry of my Specialized SJ Evo. Although I had initially decided on a Thule XTR Pro, the warranty of the Kuat with the great reviews swayed me this way.

My Jeep is stock, other than the Jeep 17" Wheels, 35 x 12.5 Tires, and the added Quadratec hitch. This setup brings the edge of my spare out approximately 15.5" from the rear swing gate of the Jeep.

The Kuat NV 2.0 can be installed directly onto the Jeep's hitch without an extension but you will not be able to fold the rack up when not in use, and you cannot open the tailgate at all.

Folding the rack up when not in use was important to me so I opted for an extension. I purchased a 4" Drop, extension that had several pin holes so I could adjust as needed. I opted for the 6" extension setting, with the 4" drop.

When folded up, the furthest part of the rack extends approximately 28" from the rear swing gate of the jeep. When open, the furthest part of the rack extends approximately 38" from the rear swing gate. This is with the 4" drop/6 " extension. I still cannot open the last few inches of the tailgate because the tire rubs on the rear bike tire clamps of the rack (not the platform itself) but I'm fine with it. A 5" drop will likely allow full articulation of the rear gate. Pictures attached for reference.

IMG_7293.JPG

IMG_7297.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7299.jpg

IMG_7300.JPG

IMG_7301.jpg
Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link

FIRETIGER91

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sufferinmoses.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Safety Security & Compliance Analyst
Clubs

I thought I'd do a quick write up on this topic as I couldn't seem to find one this last week when I was searching for the information.

I purchased a Kuat NV 2.0 Base rack after the over the spare racks didn't seem to work with the geometry of my Specialized SJ Evo. Although I had initially decided on a Thule XTR Pro, the warranty of the Kuat with the great reviews swayed me this way.

My Jeep is stock, other than the Jeep 17" Wheels, 35 x 12.5 Tires, and the added Quadratec hitch. This setup brings the edge of my spare out approximately 15.5" from the rear swing gate of the Jeep.

The Kuat NV 2.0 can be installed directly onto the Jeep's hitch without an extension but you will not be able to fold the rack up when not in use, and you cannot open the tailgate at all.

Folding the rack up when not in use was important to me so I opted for an extension. I purchased a 4" Drop, extension that had several pin holes so I could adjust as needed. I opted for the 6" extension setting, with the 4" drop.

When folded up, the furthest part of the rack extends approximately 28" from the rear swing gate of the jeep. When open, the furthest part of the rack extends approximately 38" from the rear swing gate. This is with the 4" drop/6 " extension. I still cannot open the last few inches of the tailgate because the tire rubs on the rear bike tire clamps of the rack (not the platform itself) but I'm fine with it. A 5" drop will likely allow full articulation of the rear gate. Pictures attached for reference.

Jeep Wrangler JL Kuat NV 2.0 for Jeep with Larger Tires side w-bikes

Went through the same process, same rack brought over from my previous 4Runner, so I just ordered the Kuat swing out adapter, which will finally make this easier.

mrpnicolas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
I'm looking into this setup. I saw a video (can't seem to find it) where the pivot couldnt slide into the hitch because the upper arm of the pivot would rub into the tire. So I am wondering if this will clear a 37" spare tire.
Sponsored