Sponsored

Koons of Tyson Corner Ordering, Tracking and Delivery Reports

BaconKittens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 JLR
Long post ahead.
Just took delivery of our URXR. Love the vehicle but would never go back there. Yes the discount is there but you pay for it with unrelenting upsell attempts. Absolutely ridiculous and it really ruined the purchase experience for my wife. This was her first new vehicle purchase and it was ridiculous. Very nice sales guy made the first attempt to sell the ceramic coating. We politely declined and he was nice about it and turned us over to the finance guy. This guy really needs to learn how to read the room. First thing he does is bring us into a dark room and tell us how we need the ceramic coating. Again we declined. Then comes the GAP insurance pitch. We were putting a decent chunk of change down and buying GAP would literally be a donation, so we again decline. Trying to sell us something we could never use raised the red flags. Looking annoyed he then fires up his digital desk which is displaying all of the extended warranties. Without even asking if we want/need one he goes into a long memorized sales shtick about how everyone is buying this and that warranty. Again we decline. Now he’s looking very annoyed and asking why. I tell him we are here for the Jeep and nothing more (read the room man). So even after that he repeatedly says he can lower the warranty price and knock a percent off of the ridiculously high interest rate. I repeatedly tell him we simply dont want it and that we were refinancing in three months anyway to fix the rate ourselves. He laughs and tells us it’ll never happen, rates are high everywhere and 8.9% isnt bad these days. Comical. Now he’s beginning to get confrontational, in an elevated voice, pointing out how we were there for the deal and how much more we wouldve paid locally and so there’s room to spend more. Basically calling us cheap. We purchased a loaded to the gills JLUR XR. It isnt a small price tag even with a discount. I leaned forward and told him in my own elevated tone that we werent buying one single add on and if that didnt work for him we just wouldnt buy the Jeep. End of story. We had had enough. Meanwhile the wife is sitting there ready to leave without the vehicle. He finally relents and acts like a child who didnt get his candy walking out of the store. We drove the Jeep home seven hours and love it but Koons is now a no fly zone for us.
Just an FYI, you will be pounded with upselling.
Thank you for the heads up. I really hope the guys from @Koons_of_Tysons_Corner are paying attention. Don't tarnish your name because there are a dozen other dealerships willing to give deals without the bullshit. And clearly most of us posting here are willing to travel to get what we want.

I've gotten good at turning down the warranties from dealerships. When I was younger it wasn't as easy, but since this is my 4th new vehicle purchase - I know how to say no.
Sponsored

ALT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe
Thank you for the heads up. I really hope the guys from @Koons_of_Tysons_Corner are paying attention. Don't tarnish your name because there are a dozen other dealerships willing to give deals without the bullshit. And clearly most of us posting here are willing to travel to get what we want.

I've gotten good at turning down the warranties from dealerships. When I was younger it wasn't as easy, but since this is my 4th new vehicle purchase - I know how to say no.
Koons is no longer the best deal anyway, no need to deal with the B.S. when other dealers are charging less and not pushing aggressive up-sell tactics.

Unfortunately my experience with Koons was not perfect. They were not honest and tried to charge me extra for an order error. Through the tools and contacts on this forum I was able to prove they lied and ended up taking my business to another dealer. Better price, zero upsell, in and out in 30 minutes.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2 dr Sarge Green Willys, Soft Top 3.6L MT
I'm sorry folks are having trouble with Koons. I ordered mine there, but they are my local dealer so I figured the convenience over travelling (and my inherent laziness at shopping them) was worth whatever incremental pickup I might be foregoing. I do auto-finance for a living on the capital markets side, so I don't put up with BS from F&I guys. I find that if you point out to them that state regulators are always very interested in dealer tactics when it comes to consumers and financing add-ons, they tend to back off quick and not try to mess with you. Helps to have the correct name of the state regulatory agency. Just a quick tip for those of us out there about to make a foray into the F&I office. And, in fairness to @Koons_of_Tysons_Corner, if you search for consumer complaints against them with the Office of the Attorney General in VA, you find very few and only one or two that relate to financing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grandmas392

Grandmas392

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Niro EV; '23 Pathfinder; '23 JL 392
Occupation
CFO
Koons is no longer the best deal anyway, no need to deal with the B.S. when other dealers are charging less and not pushing aggressive up-sell tactics.

Unfortunately my experience with Koons was not perfect. They were not honest and tried to charge me extra for an order error. Through the tools and contacts on this forum I was able to prove they lied and ended up taking my business to another dealer. Better price, zero upsell, in and out in 30 minutes.
Not necessarily true in all situations, at least per Ratberts thread. They still seem to have at least a tie for the best deal on a 392 order. Other vehicles it looks like you can win because of the financing rules. Sooner it will all be competitive in most places. Market is slowing down and dealers aren't able to bully as easily as they have the past 6-8 months.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koons just emailed me that I'm still D1 but now have no estimated ship date (had been 10/19 after bouncing around a bit and a regressions back to D). On the bright side, when I pointed out that MSRP appears to have gone up, they confirmed that I'm price protected. So, that's good.

Sponsored

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just went to E status. Estimated delivery 11/10. We'll see.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got word from Koons that my build status updated to F (Paint). Estimated ship date of 10/19. They say they hope it arrives sooner than the 11/10 estimate.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Koons just emailed me that my Jeep is now in KZ status, which is "Released by plant - Invoiced". Estimated Ship Date is now Today! Now, how long to ship to VA, I wonder?

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone waiting on a Jeep from Koons, I just got the following response when I emailed for a status update:

"We just received a huge shipment, it is possible that your Wrangler is here. Give us a few hours to check."

Fingers crossed for all of us waiting for a Jeep from them.

Fuz16

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my email last night that my Jeep has been delivered. Picking it up next Friday:)

Sponsored

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
Haha I ended up the 2nd! Pick up experience is good. Here is the checklist I use for my custom build 4XE, lease. My notes after the pick-up are in bold:

While in the office area:
  • Register Jeep Wave Program. Did not mention
  • Register SirusXM. Got email and text
  • Next steps on DMV? Nothing
  • Ask about modifications, like winch? As long as returning stock
Exterior:
  • Ensure all your flares match
  • Small, triangular plastic moldings near A pilar
  • Lights, exterior
  • <option black hard top> inspect hard top
  • <option Towing Pkg > Jeep hitch receiver and its rubber insert
  • <option: steel bumper> is it steel?
  • <option offroad camera> is it there?
Under the Hood:
  • Check fuse panel and ensure all fuses are pushed in. Many are not, and they were pushed in by robots.
  • All fluids should be topped off
  • <option Towing Pkg > Towing Pkg “7- and 4-Pin Wiring Harness”
  • <option Towing Pkg > 700amp battery
  • <option Cold weather> be sure you get the removable cord that is part of the block heater kit. No such thing
Under the Frame: (Did not do this section)
  • Check Frame welds
  • Checking Ball Joints to make sure they are all torqued properly
Interior:
  • Two sets of keys
  • JL Wrangler Owners Manual/Warranty guide. They still offer paper manual!
  • Rubber mats inside your center console
  • 4XE specific: Level 1 Charger and carrying bag
  • <option black hard top> Freedom top storage bag
  • <option black hard top> Jeep mini ratchet set/Torx (for hardtop/windshield/doors
  • <option Towing Pkg> small baggie with tubing and splices
  • All options: <All season mats> <hardtop headliner> < Advanced safety> <Cold weather> < Towing Pkg >
  • Try them: USB ports, carplay, 115V aux port, interior Lights, interior, AC, backup camera <option offroad camera>. Parking gear steering wheel test - No strange noise.
Test Drive -4XE
  • Air down tire pressure to 37 psi. They did it
  • Charge 100%. They did not, it is 0%
  • Tighten the fuel cap. Full tank gas at pick-up
  • Check the 3 coolant reservoirs yourself
  • Parking lot 4X4 (4H-4L-locks-swaybar)
  • Switch to 4H Auto, Test drive in Electric and then E-save.
  • <option safety> blindspot detection
  • Check the 3 coolant levels again
  • Check that it goes back on the charger just fine
Make sure you check the fuses! ~30% of my fuses are not fully seated (I have to push them down really hard to hear the clicks). Dealer only does the required factory checklist and pushing in fuses are not on that list.

So my 4XE comes with 37psi aired down (dealer said this is a required step, paid by FCA), full tank of gas, but zero charge in battery. I went out with E-save & max regen mode, drove ~300 miles home. This should be enough for engine and transmission break-in.

My avg MPG (zero charge) was 18, and later 20.3 when ACC took over (most of my trip back).
If you get leather press all over to make sure there are no cuts. My driver's seat had a 3/4" slice in it that you could not see with the leather relaxed....which I can only guess came from some idiot using a boxcutter to cut off the plastic over the seats because the softtop box was pressed against the back of the seat. Took me two months and two trips to the dealership to get fixed.

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guess mine was part of the “huge shipment”. Haven’t heard from Koons yet.
Jeep Wrangler JL Koons of Tyson Corner Ordering, Tracking and Delivery Reports 2B9CCB22-9BA3-45BE-8D3A-977DB6E4DFF4

Morrepe

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone actually heard from Koons yet on a recent delivery? Any idea how long they are taking for PDI?

OP
OP
Grandmas392

Grandmas392

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Niro EV; '23 Pathfinder; '23 JL 392
Occupation
CFO
Picking mine up tomorrow. Exciting
Congrats! The wait is over! Look forward to hearing your experience and getting some photos!
Sponsored