Ko2 tires being discontinued?

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
just read this in the tire section. Any truth to this?
Sponsored

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you saying BFGoodrich is discontinuing the K02, or are you referring to the fact that Jeep is pushing a new tire option on new builds?

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying BFGoodrich is discontinuing the K02, or are you referring to the fact that Jeep is pushing a new tire option on new builds?
I read that the KO2 is being discontinued. I did read too on a thread that there was an option for Falkens on new builds.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I've only seen the possibility of Jeep offering a Falken tire in previous posts on this forum, but interested in the status of the K02.

BTW @LLRubylady I am an impulsive buyer and bought my JLUR off the lot in Jan 2018...but every time I see a Mojito on the road I question my decisions in life and slightly jealous.With a little planning probably would have run with that color. My choices were black, white, and granite crystal. Love mine so far!

Yeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Range Rover Turbo Diesel
A buddy of mine who works at a body shop said they are just getting ready to produce the next generation of the tire...

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
The BFG KO tires have been popular for decades. The KO2 may get retired for a KO3, but the BFG AT KO tire itself isn't going anywhere. That's their bread & butter AT tire.

FCA is just trying to save a buck by switching to Falken, which seems likely for Wrangler in 2020 being that the Gladiator order guide shows the Falken AT3W as the standard Rubicon tire.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
Yeah!!!! Overpriced garbage

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
FCA is just trying to save a buck by switching to Falken, which seems likely for Wrangler in 2020 being that the Gladiator order guide shows the Falken AT3W as the standard Rubicon tire.
Gladiator gets the Falkens because they support a higher GAWR according to the chief engineer

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Gladiator gets the Falkens because they support a higher GAWR according to the chief engineer
WIldpeak Mud Terrain (M/T) was chosen as original equipment for the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - LT285/70R17C - not sure if it is available now or what will be available on the Gladiator.

C rated with a max load of 3200lbs which is more than the KO2 but is 13lbs more than the KO2 in a similar size, but it is a bit lighter (2lbs) then a KM3 in a similar size.

I know lots around here run Falkens, this decision has to be based on cost. Falken MT are about $215/tire where as a KM3 is $280/tire (for you and I to buy them), so in the volume Jeep buys these tires the savings will be huge.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've only seen the possibility of Jeep offering a Falken tire in previous posts on this forum, but interested in the status of the K02.

BTW @LLRubylady I am an impulsive buyer and bought my JLUR off the lot in Jan 2018...but every time I see a Mojito on the road I question my decisions in life and slightly jealous.With a little planning probably would have run with that color. My choices were black, white, and granite crystal. Love mine so far!
I love the Mojito. I went to the dealer thinking if getting punk’n or white bit when I saw that green I knew I had to have it.
And funny the other day I saw a granite and thought that’ll be my next color.

Sponsored

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
WIldpeak Mud Terrain (M/T) was chosen as original equipment for the 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - LT285/70R17C - not sure if it is available now or what will be available on the Gladiator.

C rated with a max load of 3200lbs which is more than the KO2 but is 13lbs more than the KO2 in a similar size, but it is a bit lighter (2lbs) then a KM3 in a similar size.

I know lots around here run Falkens, this decision has to be based on cost. Falken MT are about $215/tire where as a KM3 is $280/tire (for you and I to buy them), so in the volume Jeep buys these tires the savings will be huge.
Gladiator gets Wildpeak A/T3W and M/T

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This seems like its all made up. Goodyear has contracts for use of the KO2 on several platforms that extend for years.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The KO2 dominates the market for AT tires. I agree that IF Jeep discontinues it on the Wrangler, it is a cost issue. BFG is THE name in off-road racing, and that's why they have been the brand of choice for Rubicons for so long.

As for the KO2 being discontinued, no way. unless, as @SecondTJ said, unless the KO3 comes along. It seems a bit too soon for that, though. Just look around. I see MANY KO2's on every kind of 4wd, all over the place. Any other tire company would love to have the market share BFG has with this tire.

I've got them on both of my Wranglers and my F150. They are superb. Far better than any AT I've had before. (Especially the KO, which I thought was terrible in the rain and snow, but still very puncture resistant.)

I ran Colorado and Moab along side Jeeps with other tires and the KO2's on my JL gave up anything, traction wise, to them, particularly on slickrock, jagged rocks, or in the sand. The included Duratracs, Nittos, and what I think were Micky Thompson mud tires. The KO2's even held their own against those in the mud, too, which really surprosed me.

My son will be putting some Falken AT-3's on his WJ Grand Cherokee, though. He can't afford the KO2, which will be $60 to $70 more per tire. The AT-3W looks good, so I'll be excited to try it out. It'll be a bit, though because he's got to put some money into fixing that Jeep up before he puts his lift and Falken's on there.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
No. The KO2 isn’t going anywhere. They are the #1 AT tire out there. I know they changed the tread compound on certain HD truck applications for longer life but the KO AT brand is not going anywhere.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is no way BFGoodrich is going to kill their best selling line of tires. Most likely the K02 is going to go and the K03 will be coming out as a replacement. The KO line isn't going anywhere.
Sponsored