Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve recently noticed a knock when turning at low parking lot speed while applying the brake. I’m acutely aware of any new sound a vehicle makes, but I have zero steering or other issues, and do not hear the sound at road speeds.

The only thing I’ve found is the drag link rotates a little but makes a knock when you vigorously rotate it by hand. The tie rod has slight rotation but no noticeable sound.

I took it to my buddy, a 4x4 shop owner and mechanic. That is all he found as well. It is the stock link and rod, with no grease fittings. He said if it had the fittings he would just grease it and the sound would probably go away. He is t concerned about it.

im running a 3.5” JKS lift which amounts to 4.5”+, and 33 ATs. I wheel only moderately, and I am conservative while doing so.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve recently noticed a knock when turning at low parking lot speed while applying the brake. I’m acutely aware of any new sound a vehicle makes, but I have zero steering or other issues, and do not hear the sound at road speeds.

The only thing I’ve found is the drag link rotates a little but makes a knock when you vigorously rotate it by hand. The tie rod has slight rotation but no noticeable sound.

I took it to my buddy, a 4x4 shop owner and mechanic. That is all he found as well. It is the stock link and rod, with no grease fittings. He said if it had the fittings he would just grease it and the sound would probably go away. He is t concerned about it.

im running a 3.5” JKS lift which amounts to 4.5”+, and 33 ATs. I wheel only moderately, and I am conservative while doing so.

Thoughts?
I chased that knock for ever a year and a half ago, ended up being my axle shaft ujoints at the wheel. Replaced mine with RCVs.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I chased that knock for ever a year and a half ago, ended up being my axle shaft ujoints at the wheel. Replaced mine with RCVs.
Thanks Roky. I’m going to ask the dealership to look into it when I take it in in a few weeks for the new steering box. So far they have been excellent about my lift; zero issues with getting the steering box. I still have two years left on the warranty. It costs nothing to try. I don’t want the sound to develop into an actual problem.

Northern88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler jl 2 dr
My sport s has had a knocking noise in the rear since I bought it brand new. Only happens exactly the way you describe. I Have 15k miles on it now and it’s progressively gotten more noticeable and happens more often. I have no idea what it is but I plan on doing the steering like you and will bring it up then.
Keep me updated what they say for yours, I won’t be able to get mine into the dealership anytime soon.

OP
OP
Wabujitsu

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
My sport s has had a knocking noise in the rear since I bought it brand new. Only happens exactly the way you describe. I Have 15k miles on it now and it’s progressively gotten more noticeable and happens more often. I have no idea what it is but I plan on doing the steering like you and will bring it up then.
Keep me updated what they say for yours, I won’t be able to get mine into the dealership anytime soon.
Will do, Ma’am/Sir!

Sponsored

Gmoneyrain

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Same issue here. Any resolution?

sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Thoughts?
Exact same problem too. Happened over the summer while doing some light wheeling, it was super loud and regular while on the trail but now I only notice it when I turn at really low speeds, and its super irregular. I just kind of chose to ignore it after a while. I posted about it a while back and checked out everything they told me to and it looked good, so I didn't think much of it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...coming-from-front-of-jeep.77938/#post-1627813

Gmoneyrain

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exact same problem too. Happened over the summer while doing some light wheeling, it was super loud and regular while on the trail but now I only notice it when I turn at really low speeds, and its super irregular. I just kind of chose to ignore it after a while. I posted about it a while back and checked out everything they told me to and it looked good, so I didn't think much of it.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...coming-from-front-of-jeep.77938/#post-1627813
I checked your post out and mine is not the same as yours. Mine sounds just like the noise in the videos from these 2 post. Not sure what it could be.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-jeep-jlr-problems-in-first-few-days.64291/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/weird-noise-from-rear-passenger-wheel.40103/

sebythellama

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Have you tried retorquing the ball joints? Mine made a clicking noise when turning after my first trip off road... Stupid aluminum outer C's...

Sponsored

Gmoneyrain

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you I hope I get to the bottom of it as well. It’s from the right rear tire / door area. I messaged someone on the forums with the same issue and there’s was the fuel pump so I’m gonna run some test on it this week and get back with everyone on the results and dealership next if not. It’s a 2021 wrangler unlimited sport with 2500 miles just in case anyone is curious.

Gmoneyrain

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you I hope I get to the bottom of it as well. It’s from the right rear tire / door area. I messaged someone on the forums with the same issue and there’s was the fuel pump so I’m gonna run some test on it this week and get back with everyone on the results and dealership next if not. It’s a 2021 wrangler unlimited sport with 2500 miles just in case anyone is curious. Also thought ball joints when I first heard them upon for their investigation it’s definitely the right rear area but thanks for the recommendation!
Sponsored