Sponsored

Knocking noise from engine bay

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
I tried to look for someone with similar problem as I'm experiencing, but have yet to find one, so I'll start off.

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 2.0 and eTorque.

At about 16,000 miles, it developed a mild metallic rattling noise in the engine bay, towards the bottom end. It wasn't rotational, and just about the only time it happened was when the engine was at warm idle, at low RPM. I thought it was a loose bolt or heat shield, so I took it into the dealer and they diagnosed it as faulty belt tensioner. They told me they diagnosed it after the noise went away after the serpentine belt was removed. The tensioner has been replaced under warranty after about a week, but the noise came back after leaving the dealership. I couldn't do anything about it since I had to leave for a business trip in a couple of days. This was in mid-March.

Fast forward to early June. After getting back, the noise has progressed into both rattling and knocking/tapping. The knocking/tapping could be felt through the oil pan, perhaps indicating a serious internal issue. I took the vehicle back to the dealer on June 8th, to which they have replaced the tensioner again after a week, but the noise is apparently still there after putting the belt back on. Now they have pointed that the AC compressor is malfunctioning, which is backordered, apparently because of production shutdown from Coronavirus.

It sucks since the vehicle has been sitting at the dealer for about 4 weeks during the 18-month ownership for repairs--one for M220/LSD and 3 for tensioner/compressor. Thankfully, the dealer offers loaners, so my daily commute hasn't been impacted, but I miss my Jeep.

Has anyone experienced pulley or compressor failure that resulted in knocking noise, which could be felt through the oil pan?
Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I tried to look for someone with similar problem as I'm experiencing, but have yet to find one, so I'll start off.

I have a 2018 JLU Sahara with 2.0 and eTorque.

At about 16,000 miles, it developed a mild metallic rattling noise in the engine bay, towards the bottom end. It wasn't rotational, and just about the only time it happened was when the engine was at warm idle, at low RPM. I thought it was a loose bolt or heat shield, so I took it into the dealer and they diagnosed it as faulty belt tensioner. They told me they diagnosed it after the noise went away after the serpentine belt was removed. The tensioner has been replaced under warranty after about a week, but the noise came back after leaving the dealership. I couldn't do anything about it since I had to leave for a business trip in a couple of days. This was in mid-March.

Fast forward to early June. After getting back, the noise has progressed into both rattling and knocking/tapping. The knocking/tapping could be felt through the oil pan, perhaps indicating a serious internal issue. I took the vehicle back to the dealer on June 8th, to which they have replaced the tensioner again after a week, but the noise is apparently still there after putting the belt back on. Now they have pointed that the AC compressor is malfunctioning, which is backordered, apparently because of production shutdown from Coronavirus.

It sucks since the vehicle has been sitting at the dealer for about 4 weeks during the 18-month ownership for repairs--one for M220/LSD and 3 for tensioner/compressor. Thankfully, the dealer offers loaners, so my daily commute hasn't been impacted, but I miss my Jeep.

Has anyone experienced pulley or compressor failure that resulted in knocking noise, which could be felt through the oil pan?
My 2.0 has made some noises also, does it sound like any of my videos? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kQf2JVvv09oFBxxqsy-QSscXD9eXMCN-

I donā€™t remember if it was a thread i started, or commented in. But another member had knock and his motor was replaced under warranty. On my break iā€™ll find the thread.

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
My 2.0 has made some noises also, does it sound like any of my videos? https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1kQf2JVvv09oFBxxqsy-QSscXD9eXMCN-

I donā€™t remember if it was a thread i started, or commented in. But another member had knock and his motor was replaced under warranty. On my break iā€™ll find the thread.
I don't think so. The noise on mine came from more towards the bottom end, and it could be felt through the oil pan. The noise in those videos sound like they correlate with engine RPM--faster RPM creating faster knocks. Mine went away with higher RPM, and surfaced at hot idle or low RPM under load.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I don't think so. The noise on mine came from more towards the bottom end, and it could be felt through the oil pan. The noise in those videos sound like they correlate with engine RPM--faster RPM creating faster knocks. Mine went away with higher RPM, and surfaced at hot idle or low RPM under load.
Thats strange that it goes away with RPM.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/normal-noises-for-a-2-0.34358/#post-827871

but thatā€™s the thread. I would assume anything bottom end would mean rods/bearings.

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Thats strange that it goes away with RPM.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/normal-noises-for-a-2-0.34358/#post-827871

but thatā€™s the thread. I would assume anything bottom end would mean rods/bearings.
Oof. The rattling in the videos that Silver_thunder posted sound similar to what my issue is, sporadic and random at low RPM idle, except mine seemed to go away at higher RPMs, whereas his got worse.

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. But, from what my dealership informed me is that the noise from mine went away after they took the belt off, so here's to hoping it's not an engine issue. If it is, then I guess I can't complain since they'll replace the engine.

Sponsored

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Oof. The rattling in the videos that Silver_thunder posted sound similar to what my issue is, sporadic and random at low RPM idle, except mine seemed to go away at higher RPMs, whereas his got worse.

Thanks for pointing me to the thread. But, from what my dealership informed me is that the noise from mine went away after they took the belt off, so here's to hoping it's not an engine issue. If it is, then I guess I can't complain since they'll replace the engine.
Keep us posted!

Iā€™m weary of my BSG belt and the tensioner also since itā€™s a new thing.

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Keep us posted!

Iā€™m weary of my BSG belt and the tensioner also since itā€™s a new thing.
Will do. I'm not sure when the replacement AC compressor will come in, but hopefully that's the culprit.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Are we talking about a full on knock or more of a constant tapping sounds at idle?

Can you upload a video?

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Update: The dealership replaced both belt tension and A/C compressor but the noise is apparently still there.

Are we talking about a full on knock or more of a constant tapping sounds at idle?

Can you upload a video?
I wish I took a video of it before I took it to the dealer.

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Update: With both the tensioner and compressor replacement not resolving the issue, the dealer is contacting FCA to open a star case for the issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rwaargle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara
Here, click on my thread link below. It has videos with clear sound of the issue, also the workorder that contains the fix from the dealership(see last page)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-sound-at-idle-fixed.34498/page-2#post-789124
Thanks for that. Interestingly enough, the money light never came on for my vehicle, so I never even knew where exactly the problem is. Even the dealership is perplexed, since they have to trace the problem the old fashioned way.

Glad you got your issue fixed, though.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for that. Interestingly enough, the money light never came on for my vehicle, so I never even knew where exactly the problem is. Even the dealership is perplexed, since they have to trace the problem the old fashioned way.

Glad you got your issue fixed, though.
Ignore the Check Engine light, that was fixed by replacing a faulty O2 Sensor. The issue was with the Rocker Arms and Camshaft causing the low end constant tapping.

Mohwrangler

First Name
Muzaffar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP WRANGLER JL 2 DR 2018

I have the same issue of knocking sound from the engine bay..Its a clunk sounds from the passenger side during acceleration and decelerations at low speed and when starting after complete stop and on making turns during acceleration after complete stop. Took it to the dealer..tech recommended front shock replacement which was not in the warranty... got it done! After few days it still had that clunk noise .. back to the dealer and tech recommended Brake rotar cleaning and got it done ..it didnā€™t work tho .. still can hear that clunk which is driving me insane. I started living with it just like the pandemic..
Would appreciate any help on this.
2018 Wrangler JL 2dr - 45000 !!
Thanks

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update: With both the tensioner and compressor replacement not resolving the issue, the dealer is contacting FCA to open a star case for the issue.
Hi @rwaargle
If you would like our additional support while working through this with your dealer, please send our team a private message with your VIN. We'd be happy to look further into this for you.

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored