Knock in rear with Dana 44

StewieJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL 2018
Do all people having this issue have offsets or large wheels than stock?

Mine started doing it right after I got some new offset wheels.
Hey Reabob,

I have 33's BFgoodrich 285/70/R17 KO2's on my JLU since day 1 of my purchase and never had any issues for approx 9 months drove approx 15k km up until October 27 or 28th when I 1st brought in my Jeep for this issue... They even tested my Jeep with stock Wrangler Wheels/Tires and the issue was still there... so definitely not a tire issue.

StewieJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara JL 2018
Glad they helped you. Please post the repair sheet anyway.
Sorry for the delay... Here is my repair sheet, it is in French but hopefully it can help a few people from my area or close by..

IMG_20200114_090522_301 (1).jpg
IMG_20200114_090610_629.jpg

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You can add me to the list. 2018 JLU Sport S February build date. Rear Dana 44 with LSD. Noise from rear end started around 15,000 miles. Jeep has been at the dealer since 1/2/20 waiting on new rear diff. Asked them to epoxy my rear defroster back on while they were at it. Jeep has been mostly trouble free, but this failure is a little worrisome. I mean how long have lsd’s been around for it’s not like it’s a new concept or anything. Guess it just irks me to pay extra for the “upgraded” axle only to have fail.
Hi Eric,
We're sorry to hear about this. If you need any additional assistance, please send our team a PM!
Alex
JeepCares

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Buy an extended warranty while you can. Should eventually be a service bulletin to fix.
I do have an extended warranty. Purchased when I bought the Jeep in 2018. Still concerning.. hope they figure this out.

Sponsored

trurob777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S

-12mm offset on mine. I don't think it is uncommon. Shouldn't cause this issue.

Olanys

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Pretty big bummer that 15 months AFTER the original post we're still running into this same problem...

Started getting the clunking about a month ago and thought originally my tires were off- balance or that i had a flat... maybe even something stuck in the tire. After ruling all those out, i had a friend listen and confirmed the noise. It's also been confirmed by a friend who works at the local dealership so hopefully when i go in on Monday to have it checked i don't get turned away with "mods mods mods" or "sounds normal".

Thanks to all who have posted their fixes and the service sheets... I'm ready to start the battle!

@JeepCares i just sent you a PM... hopefully this will go smoothly :please::please:

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
So I replaced my 3.45s with 4.56 gears and installed ARB lockers front and rear. . The oil in the rear was nasty and thin for 7,500 miles total on swap out. The noise is gone. It was gone right away. The limited slip clutch packs/gears seems to be the cause of the noise. The ring and pinion looked in good shape. My JLU has 35” wheels and a Mopar 2” lift. No issues.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So I replaced my 3.45s with 4.56 gears and installed ARB lockers front and rear. . The oil in the rear was nasty and thin for 7,500 miles total on swap out. The noise is gone. It was gone right away. The limited slip clutch packs/gears seems to be the cause of the noise. The ring and pinion looked in good shape. My JLU has 35” wheels and a Mopar 2” lift. No issues.
Do you mind sharing (and linking) what gears and lockers you got.

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mind sharing (and linking) what gears and lockers you got.
Dana Spicer gears. M220 Rear and M186 on the front. ARB Dana 30 front locker. ARB # ARBRD100. Rear ARB locker # ARBRD245. Youll need differential overhaul kits also. Purchased fromNorthridge 4X4. Northridge4X4.com. Call them. I did and theu put all the things togeather for me. Great place.

Sponsored

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Dana Spicer gears. M220 Rear and M186 on the front. ARB Dana 30 front locker. ARB # ARBRD100. Rear ARB locker # ARBRD245. Youll need differential overhaul kits also. Purchased fromNorthridge 4X4. Northridge4X4.com. Call them. I did and theu put all the things togeather for me. Great place.
How much does one spend by adding both front and rear lockers as well as regearing?

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
How much does one spend by adding both front and rear lockers as well as regearing?
About $3500 for parts. I did the labor and had a friend assist me. Had a great time. Completed in two weekends of work.

Bluebeast

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
So I guess I can jump on this list. I have less than 10k miles and I can hear it and feel it through the floor boards when it happens. It doesn't happen all the time just every now and then. Luckily I stuck a gopro under the jeep and got a video of it making the noise. Dropped it off at the dealership this morning and they looked at it and we went for a 30 minute test drive. Of course it never once made a sound! The tech watched the video and agreed it shouldn't do that and said he would sample the fluid. Dropped me off and drove away as soon as he let off the gas thump, thump, thump. Couple minutes later I was informed they will be keeping the vehicle to take it apart and inspect the innards and have already ordered the same parts as needed on the last one. Unfortunately some are back ordered so who knows how long that will be. All in all it sucks that it is happening but I'm glad they are fixing it.

Is this just on the sport and Sahara axles and not the Rubicon? Just curious.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
So I am hearing the knock in a 2019 JLU Moab Edition (LSD is part of the Moab package).

I am looking to do a regear and lockers.

If this is diagnosed, is a replacement WITHOUT LSD an option? It does sound as if the LSD is the root cause and if I'm going F/R lockers, I won't need the LSD.

Thoughts?

BJG

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport

This might be 100% me. I previously lit up this forum a bit trying to figure this out. Had spacers on stock wheels. Decided to finally deal with this and bring it into a dealership. To avoid BS, I pulled off the spacers a couple of days before my appointment and the sound vanished. Canceled my appointment and life went on.

This past weekend I took the plunge on 315/70's with new wheels offset - 6.

Noise is back. Maybe slightly less. My spacers were essentially - 12 I believe. Fun times...
Sponsored