luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Did the replacement axle have a new/different part number? Any design/material changes to prevent repeat failure?
That's a great question that I don't know the answer to. I can crawl under my Jeep and take a look, I'm assuming there would be a part number/serial number on the differential that I can grab and share with you?
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That's a great question that I don't know the answer to. I can crawl under my Jeep and take a look, I'm assuming there would be a part number/serial number on the differential that I can grab and share with you?
Well saying the differential was replaced is ambiguous a bit...I took it literally to mean the carrier, clutch packs, spider and side gears etc

Now in a slightly looser meaning it could be the entire axle housing and all associated innards

Outback Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Just got a call from Lou Fusz Jeep. in O'Fallon, MO about my rear diff nocking sound and black rear diff oil with a black fragment that I extracted from the rear diff with a 100cc syringe and tube before taking it to the dealership. The mechanic claimed the nocking noise is from the tires, but I know that it isn't as it made the same nocking noise with the original tires... Said that the differential oil is very dark but that's because of "the 2 1/2" lift and the large tires puts the differential at a bad angle and is causing premature wearing and the black diff fluid." They recommended them changing oil in front and rear diff and transfer case to fix my problem at my expense and then changing every 10,000 miles going forward. They are charging me $161 for the mechanic to pull some fluid from the rear diff only that he used to base this assessment off of. He did not pull the diff cover and inspect anything... My Jeep has 10,660 miles currently. This is BS! I've lifted every Wrangler that I've owned (7 total) as well as several of my friends Jeeps, as well as every truck and SUV that I've owned except my wife's and have never had an issue until this one. The Jeep is my daily driver and is driven very softly, has not ever and likely will never go off road except maybe to drive through my yard, at least not until it's paid for and becomes an extra vehicle for doing such... I've got an old Tacoma for doing all of that in...My wife likes my Jeep so much that she was wanting to buy one next year to replace her Subaru Crosstrek. If excuses to not cover the issue is the way Jeep is going to handle the faulty diff, this will be the last new purchase I make from Jeep, Ram, Dodge family. I'm now hoping that the new Ford Bronco that's coming out will be as fun to drive as our Jeep (probably won't be as Jeep is my favorite) minus the issues and not backing up their warranty... I love my Jeep but not this BS considering the $42,500 that it cost, not including the $thosands in accessories that I've spent... I'm obviously upset and venting my frustrations on here about the situation and I've reached out to Jeep Cares... Hopefully my situation will change for the better soon. Come on Jeep Cares, I need your help!!!!

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just got a call from Lou Fusz Jeep. in O'Fallon, MO about my rear diff nocking sound and black rear diff oil with a black fragment that I extracted from the rear diff with a 100cc syringe and tube before taking it to the dealership. The mechanic claimed the nocking noise is from the tires, but I know that it isn't as it made the same nocking noise with the original tires... Said that the differential oil is very dark but that's because of "the 2 1/2" lift and the large tires puts the differential at a bad angle and is causing premature wearing and the black diff fluid." They recommended them changing oil in front and rear diff and transfer case to fix my problem at my expense and then changing every 10,000 miles going forward. They are charging me $161 for the mechanic to pull some fluid from the rear diff only that he used to base this assessment off of. He did not pull the diff cover and inspect anything... My Jeep has 10,660 miles currently.
{snip}
Yeah, that's weak. Ask them if they require this new magical service interval w Mopar lifts.

Where's the TSB stating a slight change in pinion angle makes gear oil darker LOL

moebigslee

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 Door JL sport
Just got a call from Lou Fusz Jeep. in O'Fallon, MO about my rear diff nocking sound and black rear diff oil with a black fragment that I extracted from the rear diff with a 100cc syringe and tube before taking it to the dealership. The mechanic claimed the nocking noise is from the tires, but I know that it isn't as it made the same nocking noise with the original tires... Said that the differential oil is very dark but that's because of "the 2 1/2" lift and the large tires puts the differential at a bad angle and is causing premature wearing and the black diff fluid." They recommended them changing oil in front and rear diff and transfer case to fix my problem at my expense and then changing every 10,000 miles going forward. They are charging me $161 for the mechanic to pull some fluid from the rear diff only that he used to base this assessment off of. He did not pull the diff cover and inspect anything... My Jeep has 10,660 miles currently. This is BS! I've lifted every Wrangler that I've owned (7 total) as well as several of my friends Jeeps, as well as every truck and SUV that I've owned except my wife's and have never had an issue until this one. The Jeep is my daily driver and is driven very softly, has not ever and likely will never go off road except maybe to drive through my yard, at least not until it's paid for and becomes an extra vehicle for doing such... I've got an old Tacoma for doing all of that in...My wife likes my Jeep so much that she was wanting to buy one next year to replace her Subaru Crosstrek. If excuses to not cover the issue is the way Jeep is going to handle the faulty diff, this will be the last new purchase I make from Jeep, Ram, Dodge family. I'm now hoping that the new Ford Bronco that's coming out will be as fun to drive as our Jeep (probably won't be as Jeep is my favorite) minus the issues and not backing up their warranty... I love my Jeep but not this BS considering the $42,500 that it cost, not including the $thosands in accessories that I've spent... I'm obviously upset and venting my frustrations on here about the situation and I've reached out to Jeep Cares... Hopefully my situation will change for the better soon. Come on Jeep Cares, I need your help!!!!
What does your front diff oil look like? Using the mechanic's theory that oil should be black too if the tires and increased pinion angle are causing the issue. I'm guessing your front diff oil looks new like mine and that's because, as we all know, the issue is with the rear LSD and not the tires or angles.

Sponsored

Mojito

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Don’t be trading them in!
202’s have the same issue!!!
They have NOT resolved the issue!
Not a stand up company knowing of their many issues only to keep selling the same crap to innocent purchasers.
Shame!! Shame!!

Somehow we need to let every person on this forum know about this on all of the different areas here. It’s going to be to late more the masses I fear when they’re vehicle fails on their dime!

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Update to previous posts 514, 546, 588.

Picked up the Jeep from the dealership today after repairs. It was in the shop for 1 1/2 weeks. Left axle, differential assembly and bearings replaced. Sounds great without the extra sounds

rearDiffrepair.JPG

4LowPhoto

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Dropped off the Jeep this morning at the dealer, for the 3rd time. 5 Minutes there they tried to blame the tires. Luckily have a Jeep Cares case already open thanks to this thread. Shall see how it goes through out the day.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I went ahead and read the first 12 pages and the last two. What do you guys recommend I do first? Set up the service appointment or contact Jeep Cares. I started noticing the knocking sound one day after installing my 2.5" lift and adding 35s. I'm afraid they're going to say that it was due to the aftermarket lift and refuse any work on it. I just want to make sure I go in with enough information and take the best route possible. Here's the link to my previous post and I also have a video of the sound. Thanks!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-lift-driveshafts-needed.40279/#post-893528

Sponsored

Outback Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I got my Jeep back from the dealership on Friday and they claimed that there was an "acceptable/normal" amount of shavings in the rear differential and that the gears looked perfect. The tech said that the "noise" was tire noise. I just said f' it and drove it home. The dealership is 2 1/2 hours from my house and I don't intend on going back there. My Jeep still makes the same knocking sound when coasting between 10-30mph and appears to be louder when the diff fluid heats up. I'm just going to drive the damned thing and I'll get it fixed when/if it breaks. I'm going to add LSD oil additive to the rear differential though for good measure. Jeep Cares did help because the charges were waived for them removing the rear diff cover and then refilling with I hope new fluid. lol Thank you Jeep Cares for doing what you could to help. I'm going to check the condition of the front diff lubricant to see if it is black like the rear diff lubricant. I'll report back what I find. Good luck everyone.

YellowJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I read through the majority of all these last night. Today I tried to duplicate the scenario to see if I heard any clunking or strange rear sounds. I did not hear anything. I have a 2019 JL 2 door sport s, 3.6, automatic, with the LSD/AntiSpin option. It has 3000 miles on it. I think I will make an appointment with the local dealer to get the rear fluid change, and ask them to see if it burned. Like I said I don't have the clunk, but like most I fear it will show up later, after warranty.

HiJinx69

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL, 2014 Mazda 6, 2010 Honda Odyssey, Yamaha FZ-09
I read through the majority of all these last night. Today I tried to duplicate the scenario to see if I heard any clunking or strange rear sounds. I did not hear anything. I have a 2019 JL 2 door sport s, 3.6, automatic, with the LSD/AntiSpin option. It has 3000 miles on it. I think I will make an appointment with the local dealer to get the rear fluid change, and ask them to see if it burned. Like I said I don't have the clunk, but like most I fear it will show up later, after warranty.
You'll probably have to pay out of pocket for the gear oil change. Make sure they add the friction modifier. My dealer did not with the new axle replacement, so I replaced the fluid again with the modifier per the service manual.

luna4x4

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I went ahead and read the first 12 pages and the last two. What do you guys recommend I do first? Set up the service appointment or contact Jeep Cares. I started noticing the knocking sound one day after installing my 2.5" lift and adding 35s. I'm afraid they're going to say that it was due to the aftermarket lift and refuse any work on it. I just want to make sure I go in with enough information and take the best route possible. Here's the link to my previous post and I also have a video of the sound. Thanks!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ng-lift-driveshafts-needed.40279/#post-893528
I went through the process of verifying that it wasn't my tires. Even though you are sure it's not your tires, go ahead and check them by swapping them out. The difficult thing is you probably won't hear it if you just put the stock tires back on. If you have a buddy who has a Jeep and aftermarket tires see if you can do a swap to see if the sound is still there without your tires.

By the time I got to the dealership I had gone through the process I just described. I explained to the tech that the sound could still be heard even after swapping tires out. Make sure you get the service tech who is going to work on your Jeep to ride along with you while you reproduce the issue. Make sure they hear the sound and know how to reproduce the problem. I would even bring up this thread and explain to them that other owners have reported burnt rear differential oil and metal debris.

Hope that helps.

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
I went through the process of verifying that it wasn't my tires. Even though you are sure it's not your tires, go ahead and check them by swapping them out. The difficult thing is you probably won't hear it if you just put the stock tires back on. If you have a buddy who has a Jeep and aftermarket tires see if you can do a swap to see if the sound is still there without your tires.

By the time I got to the dealership I had gone through the process I just described. I explained to the tech that the sound could still be heard even after swapping tires out. Make sure you get the service tech who is going to work on your Jeep to ride along with you while you reproduce the issue. Make sure they hear the sound and know how to reproduce the problem. I would even bring up this thread and explain to them that other owners have reported burnt rear differential oil and metal debris.

Hope that helps.
Thank you! I was hypothesizing that it was either the rear differential or the driveshaft. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stay to show them the sound and sure enough they said they couldn't replicate the noise. Luckily I did contact JeepCares and they connected me with an FCA cm. They will be replacing the drive shaft for now. Hopefully, this does fix it but at this point, it will just be a waiting game since they have to still order it.
Sponsored