Knock in rear with Dana 44

Blackbetty

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I’m working on my second go round now. Had the spider gears replaced along with rear carrier (I have the manual trans w/ LSD rear), at 10,000mi and now at 45,000 it’s back again. My worry also, is that next time I’ll be out of warranty and I’ll have to fork the bill for what is obviously some sort of design flaw with something in there. No one seems to be able to diagnose the actual culprit. So my vote is that it is absolutely a Band Aid.

So frustrated…
I'm assuming mine's LSD since original build sheet has Anti-Spin diff rear axle(bought it used w/extended fca warranty). Trying to determine if i should insist on addtnl parts inspection/replacement & if so which ones to look at. My confidence is low with them since they couldn't 'replicate the sound' which only happens if you ride the clutch to full roll.. So they only discovered the spider gear issue AFTER I agreed to pay for the rear diff service & insisted they open it up & send me pics. Sounds like i need to ask about the carrier now, but also saw a few comments about the rear clutch plates going out, buy not sure if that's normal for them to check...
Sponsored

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
I'm assuming mine's LSD since original build sheet has Anti-Spin diff rear axle(bought it used w/extended fca warranty). Trying to determine if i should insist on addtnl parts inspection/replacement & if so which ones to look at. My confidence is low with them since they couldn't 'replicate the sound' which only happens if you ride the clutch to full roll.. So they only discovered the spider gear issue AFTER I agreed to pay for the rear diff service & insisted they open it up & send me pics. Sounds like i need to ask about the carrier now, but also saw a few comments about the rear clutch plates going out, buy not sure if that's normal for them to check...
Mine goes back in for inspection this Thursday. I’ll update as to what they say.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Glad. Mojave, 16 JKU Sahara, 20 Supra
My Trak Lok failed. Symptoms were a random metal on metal clack/clunk noise on takeoff from a stop. drained the rear end fluid and metal fragments came out. Took it to the dealer at that point and described the noise and my suspicions. They claimed to hear nothing <forehead slap> . After thinking about how frequently these stock Trak loks fail I determined I didn’t want another one put back in, even if it was covered under warranty.

So I sought out the best axle shop around me and had a True trac installed out of pocket. When I picked her up they showed me the trashed carrier. Spider gears chipped on multiple teeth in multiple places. Quiet as a mouse back there since and it hooks up sooooo much better than the clutch based stock unit.

My Jeep is a JK . Don’t know if the D44’s in the JL are the samecas mine or if you are using the same Trak Lok unit. I would suggest just pulling The diff cover if folks suspect the spiders are the culprit. Should only take like 15 minutes and 20$ maybe of materials and you’ll know definitively If that’s the issue.

Reactions: D60

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Ok, update to my dealer visit. So I had to drive the tech around to recreate the clunking noise, since they originally came back with the scripted "unable to recreate customer concern". The tech was great during his ride along with me though, and physically laid up under the Jeep as I slowly took off. Said he could actually feel the clunk with his hand on the diff. So They have ordered the whole new rear axle assembly this time. Hopefully this fix lasts long enough for Eaton to get a TrueTrac for the JL. We shall see...

rtreichl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My turn to be frustrated. 38K miles on the vehicle. When coasting, at 12 mph and 28 mph there is a distinctive knocking sound (other speeds as well but more consistent at those speeds). After having the vehicle for 2 days, dealer says its going to need a complete rear end rebuild or replacement. Obviously, I'm going to be without the JLU for quite awhile. Dealer does not have any loaners because of the backlog of people with the same problem. Dealer recommended I contact Jeep Care who tells me I'm not eligible for a rental as the standard warranty period has passed (even though the Powertrain is still under warranty). Ironically, I took the vehicle in during the standard warranty period for the same issue and the dealer told me there wasn't a problem. Clearly every 2018 JLU Sport S with the Dana 44 differential rear axle is a lemon.

I guess I’m looking for advice. Has anyone replaced the rear axle and differential? What did you get and how did it work out?

Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
{snip}
I guess I’m looking for advice. Has anyone replaced the rear axle and differential? What did you get and how did it work out?
Yes, people have. There are part #'s in this thread. Don't let the dealer "fix" it unless you like doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result (ie insanity)

Just get an open carrier if you don't 'wheel or maybe a TruTrac if you do. Talk to a qualified 4x4 (or even hot rod) shop that does differential work. It won't be cheap. Quality parts and labor never are.

Does it suck? Yes. Is life fair? No.....er unless you like AOC then you can identify as someone who believes life should be equally fair to every person. Good luck with that ;)

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Just picked up from the dealer after having the rear axle replaced for this issue. Under 18k miles on our 2018 JLUS

rtreichl

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
My turn to be frustrated. 38K miles on the vehicle. When coasting, at 12 mph and 28 mph there is a distinctive knocking sound (other speeds as well but more consistent at those speeds). After having the vehicle for 2 days, dealer says its going to need a complete rear end rebuild or replacement. Obviously, I'm going to be without the JLU for quite awhile. Dealer does not have any loaners because of the backlog of people with the same problem. Dealer recommended I contact Jeep Care who tells me I'm not eligible for a rental as the standard warranty period has passed (even though the Powertrain is still under warranty). Ironically, I took the vehicle in during the standard warranty period for the same issue and the dealer told me there wasn't a problem. Clearly every 2018 JLU Sport S with the Dana 44 differential rear axle is a lemon.

Thankful that vehicle was in the shop <2 weeks. Repair required a full replacement. Attached pics tell the whole story. I can't believe there is not a recall as driving on this was not safe.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

10.jpeg

CFC4953

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hey guys, not sure if people are a getting notified on this thread. I picked up a 21 JLUR 2 weeks ago. Put on an AEV 2.5 lift with 37s. I’m having a soft knock at low speeds when’s accelerating and sometimes slowing down. The knock only happens once not multiple times. I have been reading in other threads that this is normal. After 100 pages of this thread is there one remedy for this or everyone has a different story? I had a JK before this and my spider gears went out on that before regearing. That sound was totally different, after the regear I had a very similar sound but much louder. This is pretty soft but I’m hyper aware since I had issues with my JK. I’d love to ignore this but it’s brand new, I also can’t compare what it was stock because I basically drove it from the dealer to the 4x4 shop

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So, a change of original plans. I took my Jeep back to the first dealership. I have two issues. One is the rotation knocking noise in this thread, and another is a knock/clunk accelerating from a stop.

I chatted with a guy in this thread that had the knock/clunk sound and his dealer fixed it by replacing the carrier.

I got his dealer info, repair order, and took it with me. I demonstrated both noises to the advisor and gave him that information.

He called back that afternoon and said the tech drained the diff which was dark fluid with metal flakes. He said they didn't even pull the diff cover to inspect, just ordered an entire new axle.

Sponsored

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
So it's been a little over a week with the new axle and now I'm hearing a squeak/creek while cornering. It almost sounds like a rubber against rubber squeaking noise. Thinking it could be a dud replacement axle as the wheels are rotating at different speeds around corners, but has anyone had this issue or heard if it?

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
So it's been a little over a week with the new axle and now I'm hearing a squeak/creek while cornering. It almost sounds like a rubber against rubber squeaking noise. Thinking it could be a dud replacement axle as the wheels are rotating at different speeds around corners, but has anyone had this issue or heard if it?
Sounds like maybe the dealer forgot to add the limited slip additive when they put the diff fluid in.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
Sounds like maybe the dealer forgot to add the limited slip additive when they put the diff fluid in.
The work order showed two bottles of gear oil were used, so I'm thinking they might have over filled it too. It doesn't show LSD additive either

Canuck714

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU Rubicon, 2014 Roush Raptor, 2020 JLU Willy's
Vehicle Showcase
My Wifes 2020 Willys started making the dreaded clunking between 10-20mph at light throttle input..
Is there still not a TSB for this known defect?
Sent DM to @JeepCares

Shenanigunz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
My 2018 is at the dealership right now waiting for the backorder, full rear replacement, mine was a clunck/whine while decelerating. 37,000 miles
Sponsored