Knock in rear with Dana 44

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Now this is interesting. This thread is more about a rotational knocking sound. However, you are describing a different issue.....a loud clunk when taking off from a stop.

I am experiencing both of these issues, and have been wondering if they are the same problem.

Curious, does your clunking noise sound like this......

My wife's sounds like that also! I rarely drive it but on a short trip I started to think it was coming from the front so I re-torqed the ball joints, etc. but the clunk is still present.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My wife's sounds like that also! I rarely drive it but on a short trip I started to think it was coming from the front so I re-torqed the ball joints, etc. but the clunk is still present.
At this point, I believe the issue with the thread is about and this popping noise are the same thing.

Sponsored

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
After my lift was installed between 10 and 20 mph when not hitting the gas I am getting a knocking sound sounds like possibly from the rear drive shaft and one have a fix for this?? I know on my Tacoma I added a driveshaft spacer after my lift to adjust the driveshaft angle anyone else experiencing this problem after a lift?
Do you have the LSD? If so change the gear oil and see if it goes away. I had a similar issue with my 2020 Sport and fresh lube and LSD friction modifier was the key.

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm joining the re-end clunk club. For the past few months I've noticed an increasingly loud clunk coming from the rear when the Jeep starts forward from a stop. It happens when driving straight or turning. Finally had a dealer confirm the noise and he said "it happens on these Jeeps" and said they ordered the following part (68474060AC) to resolve the issue. I haven't read of anyone else needing this part replaced to confirm the service manager's comment. We'll see if they find anything else once they open up the diff. Will update the thread after the repair.

2019 JL Sport 4 door
Rubicon suspension on 33's
tow package - anti-slip rear

rear_diff.JPG
Finally had this repair done on the Differential Case Assembly yesterday. Attached are some photos but to an untrained eye hard to tell where the issue was. The work order description below may provide more insight... Hopefully this solves the rear end clunk issue !!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 reardiff_repair

old:

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 reardiff3

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 reardiff2

new:
Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 reardiff1

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Hey guys. I’ve been quietly monitoring this thread. I had my rear carrier replaced by the dealer at 10,000mi for the “clunk”. I have a manual trans 18 JLUS with the D-44 HD Trac-Loc LSD. I now have 49,000mi on my Jeep and the clunk has returned.

I’m not very well versed on the mechanics of the drive line. Does anyone know if the rear end being LSD is the culprit here? Will it solve the problem to go to an open diff setup to avoid future out of pocket costs if this continues to be an issue? Won’t be long and I’ll be out of the powertrain warranty.
I wish Eaton would just hurry up and get a TrueTrac for the new D44 HD…

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Hey guys. I’ve been quietly monitoring this thread. I had my rear carrier replaced by the dealer at 10,000mi for the “clunk”. I have a manual trans 18 JLUS with the D-44 HD Trac-Loc LSD. I now have 49,000mi on my Jeep and the clunk has returned.

I’m not very well versed on the mechanics of the drive line. Does anyone know if the rear end being LSD is the culprit here? Will it solve the problem to go to an open diff setup to avoid future out of pocket costs if this continues to be an issue? Won’t be long and I’ll be out of the powertrain warranty.
I wish Eaton would just hurry up and get a TrueTrac for the new D44 HD…
Non LSD here. Clunk just came back 12k miles after a full replacement rear axel. Just as loud as with the stock tires (running 37's now). I'm just gonna upgrader the axels once they crap out. Will probably do the Dana 60 so I can go up past 40's. Figure I have another 40-50k miles before anything happens based on my driving.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Finally had this repair done on the Differential Case Assembly yesterday. Attached are some photos but to an untrained eye hard to tell where the issue was. The work order description below may provide more insight... Hopefully this solves the rear end clunk issue !!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 reardiff1
Well, did it fix it?

Sponsored

MX619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 JLUS
Looked up my son's 2018 JLUS build list and it has "Dana M220 Rear Axle" and way down toward the bottom it has "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle".

I'm guessing this is a D44 with the Limited Slip?

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Looked up my son's 2018 JLUS build list and it has "Dana M220 Rear Axle" and way down toward the bottom it has "Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle".

I'm guessing this is a D44 with the Limited Slip?
Yes you are correct!

Blackbetty

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Need help/advice. My 18 JL sport w/dana 44 axle developed the clunk noise couple mths ago. Now it does it almost everytime when taking off in 1st & when trying to maintain 15-20 mph in 2nd(manual). It hits hard enough you can feel it in the vehicle & hear it across a parking lot. Dealership said originally it was normal for a manual(uh no) so paid to service the rear diff & told them I wanted pics. They called back to say the spider gears had 'come loose somehow' so they would replace those under warranty. Has anyone had just the gears replaced to resolve the issue? Concerned that this is just a bandaid & the problem could come back later when out of warranty(40k miles & stock).

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
Need help/advice. My 18 JL sport w/dana 44 axle developed the clunk noise couple mths ago. Now it does it almost everytime when taking off in 1st & when trying to maintain 15-20 mph in 2nd(manual). It hits hard enough you can feel it in the vehicle & hear it across a parking lot. Dealership said originally it was normal for a manual(uh no) so paid to service the rear diff & told them I wanted pics. They called back to say the spider gears had 'come loose somehow' so they would replace those under warranty. Has anyone had just the gears replaced to resolve the issue? Concerned that this is just a bandaid & the problem could come back later when out of warranty(40k miles & stock).
I’m working on my second go round now. Had the spider gears replaced along with rear carrier (I have the manual trans w/ LSD rear), at 10,000mi and now at 45,000 it’s back again. My worry also, is that next time I’ll be out of warranty and I’ll have to fork the bill for what is obviously some sort of design flaw with something in there. No one seems to be able to diagnose the actual culprit. So my vote is that it is absolutely a Band Aid.

So frustrated…
Sponsored