Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Send a PM to @JeepCares about your issue. They helped me with number 2 replacement.
Thanks for the tag. We are in private message for any concerns wishing to discuss further!

Kate
Jeep Cares
Sponsored

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
This is the noise i have. Dealer acknowledge but said nothing to investigate until noise gets worse. Ooened both diff and all is fine. Mime sounds louder but the toc toc toc when decelerating is the same.

You know what's causing it?
I don't know, but was wondering if this is the noise everyone else was experiencing with the bad diff.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
I've been watching this thread. I guess I'll be scheduling a visit to my dealer. They've fixed the others issues under warranty (steering Box, vacuum pump) fingers crossed they will fix this.

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Now I can't hear a knock. I even had a co-worker listen while I drove by slowly and he heard nothing. It was a very faint sound, and maybe it was something else.

I'm going to still change out the fluid in rear diff. for safe measure.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Anyone in the Denver area have a dealership up there that has experience with this issue?

Dealerships down here don't care to fix it and Jeep Customer Care doing nothing but what the dealership says.

Sponsored

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm joining the re-end clunk club. For the past few months I've noticed an increasingly loud clunk coming from the rear when the Jeep starts forward from a stop. It happens when driving straight or turning. Finally had a dealer confirm the noise and he said "it happens on these Jeeps" and said they ordered the following part (68474060AC) to resolve the issue. I haven't read of anyone else needing this part replaced to confirm the service manager's comment. We'll see if they find anything else once they open up the diff. Will update the thread after the repair.

2019 JL Sport 4 door
Rubicon suspension on 33's
tow package - anti-slip rear

Jeep Wrangler JL Knock in rear with Dana 44 rear_diff.JPG

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I'm joining the re-end clunk club. For the past few months I've noticed an increasingly loud clunk coming from the rear when the Jeep starts forward from a stop. It happens when driving straight or turning. Finally had a dealer confirm the noise and he said "it happens on these Jeeps" and said they ordered the following part (68474060AC) to resolve the issue. I haven't read of anyone else needing this part replaced to confirm the service manager's comment. We'll see if they find anything else once they open up the diff. Will update the thread after the repair.

2019 JL Sport 4 door

Now this is interesting. This thread is more about a rotational knocking sound. However, you are describing a different issue.....a loud clunk when taking off from a stop.

I am experiencing both of these issues, and have been wondering if they are the same problem.

Curious, does your clunking noise sound like this......

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Now this is interesting. This thread is more about a rotational knocking sound. However, you are describing a different issue.....a loud clunk when taking off from a stop.

I am experiencing both of these issues, and have been wondering if they are the same problem.

I still have this noise. It's been there now for both axels. The first one and the replacement. I will eventually upgrade the axels. Not worried about it for now.

*Edit - Press the brake as hard as possible and shift into gear then release the brake. Tell me if you hear the noise then. My e-brake came undone and the noise was louder.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

2019 JL Sport 4 door

i had this happened to me today. Knock when stop and knock on takeoff. you know whats right on top of the axle? The storage cubby. in my case it was my snatch block making the noise 😂. Anyway, check your tailgate, also check that your spare tire lugs are not loose. check that nothing in the cubby is banging around, check that your scissor jack isnt making the noise either.

If it isnt anything under the jeep i would check rear suspension components. Since it is just one clunk on takeoff and stop. Make sure your rear springs are seated properly, check shocks make sure they are not leaking, I had a rubi front shock crap out at 15k miles, retorque control arms or tell shop to do so. good luck.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I still have this noise. It's been there now for both axels. The first one and the replacement. I will eventually upgrade the axels. Not worried about it for now.

*Edit - Press the brake as hard as possible and shift into gear then release the brake. Tell me if you hear the noise then. My e-brake came undone and the noise was louder.
The noise mostly comes from the rear, but sometimes it feels like it's from the front. Hard to know exactly.

I'm kind of bummed your replacement axle didn't resolve this. I was kind of hoping the two issues were the same problem, especially seeing Fourthandlong5's post.

What's most infuriating is dealerships not giving a damn there is a problem. I'm fairly insulted they claim these noises are normal.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
The noise mostly comes from the rear, but sometimes it feels like it's from the front. Hard to know exactly.

I'm kind of bummed your replacement axle didn't resolve this. I was kind of hoping the two issues were the same problem, especially seeing Fourthandlong5's post.

What's most infuriating is dealerships not giving a damn there is a problem. I'm fairly insulted they claim these noises are normal.
"Oh thats normal on these wranglers. Lets replace your whole axle"

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
i had this happened to me today. Knock when stop and knock on takeoff. you know whats right on top of the axle? The storage cubby. in my case it was my snatch block making the noise 😂. Anyway, check your tailgate, also check that your spare tire lugs are not loose. check that nothing in the cubby is banging around, check that your scissor jack isnt making the noise either.

If it isnt anything under the jeep i would check rear suspension components. Since it is just one clunk on takeoff and stop. Make sure your rear springs are seated properly, check shocks make sure they are not leaking, I had a rubi front shock crap out at 15k miles, retorque control arms or tell shop to do so. good luck.
I'm fairly certain he's (or she's) experiencing the same problem I am. I've seen a few threads on it. I can attest it's not something loose among the cargo area. It's usually just a noise, but sometimes you can feel it. And sometimes it feels like it's coming from the front, but mostly the rear. Which just makes it more complexing.

Rogue321

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
"Oh thats normal on these wranglers. Lets replace your whole axle"
There's been a few posts saying they replaced the whole axle. And even more that appears they don't have a definitive solution.

Funny how they went with upgraded axles, only to be downgraded due to problems. I actually don't have a problem with that. They're "upgrading". That's part of it. I do have a problem with them not acknowledging there is a problem.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport

I went almost 55k miles and never noticed a difference in performance (On road only). They repalced my axel out of "noise" and warranty. It was "screaming" after the 37's we're put on. Power delivery, etc is/was optimal for the time being. Can't say it was broke myself I have had limited Wrangler experience. First gen owner. I'll try to add as much as I can to the conversation. Jeep cares was phenomenal... everything seemed to move faster after providing them with my information.

The Jeep is my DD and 62k miles (10k on the new axle since May 2021) never stopped.

Fourthandlong5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

Yup that sounds like the clunk
Sponsored