Sponsored

Knock in rear with Dana 44

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm at 32k with no issues (knock on wood) I don't think it's all Jeeps with LSD.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Loved the Jeep, but was really disappointed that I seeked out the LSD option, only to find out it was going to be an issue down the road and no fix in sight. Will get a Rubicon instead, which is what I probably should have done from the start.
I take it that you haven't heard about the problems that some folks are having with the Rubicon lockers.

YellowJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I take it that you haven't heard about the problems that some folks are having with the Rubicon lockers.
Thanks for reminding me about that. Will check into it and see if it is specific options or all of them. With this one, it was specifically LSD on non rubicons.

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Hey all I'm trying to figure out if what I hear is the knock coming from the rear axle. I've got an lsd in my sport, I found a video from another thread(if anyone knows please link me lol), and I've been trying to find the member who posted but I seriously can't remember where I found it. Starting at 3 seconds it's identical to what my jeep does.
Is this what everyone has before lsd failure?

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I would recommend Everyone who has a 44 LSD between the years (2018-2020) lift up the rear end so the wheels can free spin, spin the rear wheel by hand, and listen close to the wheel. I had a very very quite knock with stock wheels and now I have a heavier set it is much louder.
I hope no one else has this problem but it would have gotten worse if I didn’t catch it early.
I’m waiting for the parts to come in and i will update after. They are replacing the assembly with the new part number so I’ve heard that’s the main issue is the old part.

Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I had the same issue with my Jeep after having my local dealer install my Mopar Lift. I could hear knocking noise from the rear end when driving less than 10mph. The dealer replaced rear differential. The issue has been resolved. I’ll keep you guys posted on my status of the lift and differential replacement.
Just recently had the same issue on mine. Just a Sport without LSD. They're replacing my entire rear axle. Another member had a similar issue he's had his replaced 3 times by the dealer. I'm at 52k miles and it's covered under warranty.

Dono

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Mine just got refused. They won't replace the part, and Jeep corporate engineering is saying it's inherent to this design and won't be changed.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Mine just got refused. They won't replace the part, and Jeep corporate engineering is saying it's inherent to this design and won't be changed.
What's inherent with the design? The noise, the clicks, the "screaming" as my dealer described.

Sponsored

iamjocanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Having this issue on my 18 JLUR. FCA Canada DENIED the warranty claim and says it was caused by me being stuck in the mud thereby overheating the bearings.

What are the next steps that I might be able to take?

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Mine is currently getting the differential assembly replaced and I’ll update tomorrow to see if the noise went away.

i would keep fighting and searching dealers.

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
This isn't the dealer denying the claim, it's FCA Canada.
Gotcha, I misread. Them saying the bearing burned up is them trying to cover their bums, it may have contributed but it’s a known issue with the rear ends.
As soon as my 60k warranty is up I’m beefing up the diff.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
My full rear axle replacement is still waiting to be delivered. 2 weeks going on 3. I have 8k miles left on the 60k warranty wondering what could happen now after they installed the 37s/wheels/mopar lift. Those will be covered under warranty for 2 years including labor. Does anyone know if the new rear axle would be covered for 90 days /8 k miles or other?
Sponsored

Last edited: