Knock in rear with Dana 44

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just got word from the dealership and they are saying it’s the carrier bearings... that doesn’t seem right to me, but I’m not a professional... when I made the video both wheels were spinning in opposite directions... shouldn’t that means it’s spider gears....
Sponsored

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Just got word from the dealership and they are saying it’s the carrier bearings... that doesn’t seem right to me, but I’m not a professional... when I made the video both wheels were spinning in opposite directions... shouldn’t that means it’s spider gears....
Nah, the wheels moving in opposite directions just means the diff is doing what it's supposed to. The way I've had it explained to me is that bad bearings make a gritty growling sound and bad gears make a low pitch whine or like a revving sound like a bad pump.

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Nah, the wheels moving in opposite directions just means the diff is doing what it's supposed to. The way I've had it explained to me is that bad bearings make a gritty growling sound and bad gears make a low pitch whine or like a revving sound like a bad pump.
Thanks for the sounds info, it’s probably safe to assume it is the bad bearings. Parts are on back order With no ETA, but I’ll update after the bearings are replaced.

Thank you everyone for the help! Love the Jeep Community!

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Just got the Jeep back and they say it’s a emergency brake boot hitting the drum and that it’s normal for all cars with rotors to have this.......so I asked the question “what can I do to fix it?” The tech said “nothing, it comes with owning the car” so you are telling me in order to own a Jeep I need to have this constant knocking in the rear when slowing down... if There really is no fix for the knocking in this car then I think I’m just trading in my Jeep, it was fun while it lasted.

invoice attached

632C5868-0A8F-4F58-B787-45858585E9DE.jpeg

Edit* still have the knocking BTW
Great way of running a business. Just another couple of morons working at Jeep.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Is this normal to hear from the rear? I jacked up the Jeep rear end and hand spin the tires in neutral. First video is the passenger side (not as loud) the second is the drivers side ( louder of the two).

Definitely not normal.

Sponsored

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
UPDATE:

They are replacing the rear differential carrier with the new part number:68474060AB. Thank god! Will update after the fix, no ETA on when the parts will be in.
Thanks all!!

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
UPDATE:

They are replacing the rear differential carrier with the new part number:68474060AB. Thank god! Will update after the fix, no ETA on when the parts will be in.
Thanks all!!
That's good to hear! Start a case with jeep cares if you haven't already. They are great for getting parts expedited to the dealers.

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
That's good to hear! Start a case with jeep cares if you haven't already. They are great for getting parts expedited to the dealers.
How can I reach them? Because the dealership has me driving my Jeep around with the bad assembly... my wife and I plan on just using her car until the Jeep is fixed.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
UPDATE:

Thanks all!!
Finally, they are on the right track, it’s definitely the carrier based on my experience.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Kata

First Name
Kata
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I had the same issue with my Jeep after having my local dealer install my Mopar Lift. I could hear knocking noise from the rear end when driving less than 10mph. The dealer replaced rear differential. The issue has been resolved. I’ll keep you guys posted on my status of the lift and differential replacement.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Very interesting thread. I actually read through all 96 pages. On one hand I'm disappointed, on the other, it's a Chrysler product, I assumed QC issues would rear their ugly heads. '21 JLU willys, D44 LSD. 11k miles on the clock. So far, no noises coming from the rear, but I'll be checking the diff fluid tomorrow to see what I find. I wonder if the new diffs were factory installed on any of the later '21s.

Mike8194

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Willys
Very interesting thread. I actually read through all 96 pages. On one hand I'm disappointed, on the other, it's a Chrysler product, I assumed QC issues would rear their ugly heads. '21 JLU willys, D44 LSD. 11k miles on the clock. So far, no noises coming from the rear, but I'll be checking the diff fluid tomorrow to see what I find. I wonder if the new diffs were factory installed on any of the later '21s.
21 Willys JLU here too. Purchased 12/20 (Manufacture Date 11/20). No noises yet, but only have about 2600 miles. Was wondering the same, about 21 builds. Planning on changing diff oil @ 5k. Let us know what you find on yours.

YellowJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I kept waiting to hear mine start to make the noise. Never heard it, but only have 9500 miles. Kept bothering me knowing it would come eventually. Sold it to carmax today for a really good deal. I think they gave me what I paid for it pretty much. Loved the Jeep, but was really disappointed that I seeked out the LSD option, only to find out it was going to be an issue down the road and no fix in sight. Will get a Rubicon instead, which is what I probably should have done from the start. Not a fan of the Nacho color, but I think there is a brighter yellow option.
Sponsored