Knock in rear with Dana 44

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
The service department did a fluid change and told me it was fixed. Of course I knew it wouldn't be, but I spent $30.00 on the Uber ride to get back to the dealer. Dealer had it 2 weeks.

And yeah, it wasn't fixed. I could still hear it knocking. The technician couldn't hear it.

I'm done dealing with it. I have an ARB locker ordered. Screw the LSD.
Oh I'm sure he heard it.

But he rather have heard it on a Jeep that's out of warranty, however.
Sponsored

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Just completed two phases. First phase, there was an issue with ARB, but shop replaced pinion bearings, but had to put stock carrier back in, also with upgraded bearings, and knock still persisted. Received replacement ARB, installed, knock is gone, Iā€™m so happy to not hear this knock any longer.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm sorry to ask this which has probably been answered before, but does the standard 5yr/100K powertrain warranty cover replacement of the defective LSD? Or does it end after the 3yr/36K warranty?

Ours just hit 20k, and the differential fluid looks terrible but has no metal shavings in it. I imagine this is a precursor to it failing.

So we're debating on getting an extended warranty, partially for this, partially for the SOT top and the turbo. But if the original warranty would cover the LSD for 5 years, the most a mopar warranty would cover would be for another 3.

Has anyone found any reliable non-mopar warranties that will cover this for a greater timeframe?

I have no interest in replacing it with a locker, an LSD is what I prefer.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer šŸ˜‚
Damn it, this sounds just like my noise except itā€™s more like a spring click to me whenever the drivetrain changes load. Accelerate let go, brake let go, accelerate from a stop, forward reverse vice versa and Iā€™m on stock sport s wheels with 285/75r17 tires no LSD

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
FedEx just delivered the fix for this problem.

F7D0E949-C2AE-45AC-A50E-E4706E417147.jpeg

Sponsored

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Just wanted to give an update on my jeep. I had the whole axle replaced mid January. They replaced it with an original AA axle. The new axle only lasted about a month before I started to hear gears grinding. Sure enough the gears were trashed on the inside. The dealer said they found metal in the oil and the axle shafts were rubbing against the housing. This new dealer I went to decided to replace just the diff and seals. unless the differential is the new revision I'm probably going to be back again soon.

I'm wondering, I have an OX locker sitting at home ready to be installed. Should I try to ride out the warranty before installing it or replace this piece of crap factory diff? I'm rather worried how they said the axle shafts were rubbing on the housing. Hope the housing itself isn't crooked.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Just wanted to give an update on my jeep. I had the whole axle replaced mid January. They replaced it with an original AA axle. The new axle only lasted about a month before I started to hear gears grinding. Sure enough the gears were trashed on the inside. The dealer said they found metal in the oil and the axle shafts were rubbing against the housing. This new dealer I went to decided to replace just the diff and seals. unless the differential is the new revision I'm probably going to be back again soon.

I'm wondering, I have an OX locker sitting at home ready to be installed. Should I try to ride out the warranty before installing it or replace this piece of crap factory diff? I'm rather worried how they said the axle shafts were rubbing on the housing. Hope the housing itself isn't crooked.
Well if your axle is ruined and you install the locker that would be pretty bad. I would get everything checked before commiting to a locker.

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Well if your axle is ruined and you install the locker that would be pretty bad. I would get everything checked before commiting to a locker.
yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'll have to ask the tech their opinion when I go to pick it up. I'm guessing it's okay since they didn't replace the whole thing, but then again it's a dealership we're talking about.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
yeah that's what I'm worried about. I'll have to ask the tech their opinion when I go to pick it up. I'm guessing it's okay since they didn't replace the whole thing, but then again it's a dealership we're talking about.
Yeah I wouldnt trust them at all. If you install your locker and the axle is ruined you will have a hard time with warranty claims. Why dont you drive it a few thousand miles and then get it inspected by an independent mechanic?

DudeBro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU
Yeah I wouldnt trust them at all. If you install your locker and the axle is ruined you will have a hard time with warranty claims. Why dont you drive it a few thousand miles and then get it inspected by an independent mechanic?
That's a smart idea. My lease ends later this year and my plan is to buy it so I want to get it checked out anyways before then.

Sponsored

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Just bought my first 2018 JL Sahara a year ago and itā€™s doing the same knock noise in the rest of the forum.

I have added rubicon take off suspension and 33 inch tires. I have the extended powertrain warranty, but does having the rubi suspension and larger tires prevent this from being a warranty repair?

I know it will mostly depend on the dealer, but Iā€™m trying to get a feel for what might happen.

thanks

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought my first 2018 JL Sahara a year ago and itā€™s doing the same knock noise in the rest of the forum.

I have added rubicon take off suspension and 33 inch tires. I have the extended powertrain warranty, but does having the rubi suspension and larger tires prevent this from being a warranty repair?

I know it will mostly depend on the dealer, but Iā€™m trying to get a feel for what might happen.

thanks
NO. I put Rubicon takeoff on my Sahara (suspension and tires) and they warrantied the knock in the axle no questions asked.

fitchhorn.justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
@Jamrock and @brewtus98

thanks for the reassurance! I was so let down when I started to hear it, this is the newest car Iā€™ve owned and itā€™s had more problems then my 94F-150 I sold to buy it... From bubbling paint to now this, I want to love this car and keep it until it does but I feel like thatā€™s closer then I think at this rate.
Iā€™m very close to trading it in for something else, especially if the dealer tries to pull a wool blanket over me for this warranty repair.

I tried reading through the whole 94 page thread and I do have another question:
Have they started replacing them with a more permanent fix? Or just with the same failing part? If it is the same part Iā€™ll defiantly get it fixed and head back over to a Ford.

Last edited:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I am not aware of a more permanent fix. AFAIK, dealers are replacing the worn weak parts with new weak parts.

It took FCA a few years to replace the flawed steering box with one that works well. It is not clear what will happen here. It must be costing someone a lot of money to be replacing these parts for free.

Some members have added after market lockers once the warranty on the vehicle has expired. Others have replaced the Sport/Sahara axles with Rubicon axles.

We love Jeeps but we know that FCA has a big problem with quality control. Many people use the warranty period to identify all the quality control issues and get them fixed for free.

Many of us are hoping that the Ford Bronco is a huge success. The competition may force FCA to improve the way they do things.
Sponsored